New BIOS for 15R2/17R3 v1.4.4

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by 95TA, Jan 18, 2018.

1. 95TA

95TA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, it would look as if Dell decided that since Microsoft put out a software patch to stave off the reboot issues with the original CPU microcode patch that it would be a good idea to re-release the *SAME* flawed BIOS v1.4.4 that they did and pulled a few weeks ago...

As it stands I do not think anyone here would recommend this BIOS. It implements a knowing "flawed" patch that introduces instability in systems that are not running the Microsoft "patch" to fix the patch (and I can bet you can now see why this is "wrong")...

It is best to skip 1.4.4 altogether and wait until a comprehensive "fix" is determined and implemented properly in BIOS.

We can only hope Dell/Alienware has some sort of conscience and moral/ethical duty to their current AND previous customers to put out a proper fix for all older systems.

As it stands it is a marketing departments nirvana to have something like this pop up to invalidate older systems, not take direct blame, and have newer systems available for purchase that do not have the "flaw"... Talk about strong-arming your customer base to upgrade!

As of today the "newer unflawed systems" do not exist, but our systems are still vulnerable so we can only hope they produce a fix that doesn't impact performance greatly and doesn't require a software patch to keep your system stable.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    0lok and Vasudev like this.
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's just the spectre and meltdown protection. Performancewise on the CPU you won't notice a difference, however it seems to affect SSDs in terms of performance, again you won't really notice it but it is there.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There shouldn't be any performance changes, this will be to address the Spectre / Meltdown bugs.

4. Danishblunt

Reputations:

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @VICKYGAMEBOY Be my guest in testing BIOS.
    Darn whenever I finished my modded BIOS with LocalME update enabled and was just gonna flash it. Suddenly Dell pushed an update.
    Performance wise, the C2 ucode will cause minor stutters or slowdowns. Atleast for me, I felt reduced performance when using NVMe drive and SATA SSD/HDD.
    Reduction of 10% on Reads and 10-20% writes in 4K.

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    SSD not so much here, NVME have the noticeable hit for me tho.

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Maybe because I'm using Linux but boot time was really long after microcode patch by daz.

8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Well for me on windows machine and regular SSD there was no real noticable difference, however on my NVME SSD the boottime was noticably slower, but not to the ,point where I would call it slow or annoying.

didn't check out linux yet, so might indeed be OS related.

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Apps on Linux loads faster but boot time is 2 secs extra. Used to boot into Linux in just 3 sec, now its 5-6 secs.

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @HunterZ0 New bios has been uploaded by dell.