New BIOS E17A3IMS.10D for GT75 Titan 8th Gen

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Ultra Male, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Since MSI hasn't released any BIOS update in ages for the new GT75 8th Gen, I just thought of going into device manager, expanded the Firmware section, then chose search for updates and what do you know, Windows Update downloaded a new BIOS then upon reboot it installed it, then reset my settings back to default:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Do you have Win 10 experiment mode enabled? I never thought a BIOS update would be shipped through WU. Maybe Everything will be from WU like OS X.
    Are the menus hidden?

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    no I don't. I've had a BIOS update also through Windows Update on my previous GT73VR Titan Pro. Thank the Nazi Morons for invading our taptops to the point where they can perform a remote BIOS update now which auto installs upon reboot. This is called Micro$h4ft V00d00 M4g!c

@Papusan @Mr. Fox

4. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also runs contrary to the recommended good practice of not updating/modifying the BIOS if everything is otherwise working. Looks like a valid method for bricking.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    They have absolutely ZERO right to make changes to hardware/firmware and I wish they would get their asses sued into oblivion repeatedly and lose multiple billions of dollars for acting like retarded Nazis. They deserve worse than that, but the extreme financial loss and severe legal butt-kicking would be a good start. I'd love to see them have to declare bankruptcy and have to reorganize. Maybe next time they would think twice about pretending to be God of the consumer zombie masses.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Papusan, Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Best practice is to never update anything unless there is a known compelling reason for doing so (like a fix for a specific problem one is experiencing). Software and firmware updates cause more harm than good if the system is working correctly.

Papusan, Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  7. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That idea is just way too crazy Microsoft, they are out of their minds! I'm sure in a few month we will hear people saying Windows did some weird thing on its own and my laptop no longer boots. And then we can see MSI blame the user or blame Microsoft!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Now I know what W10 can do. My sis's laptop might had the BIOS update through that wrecked. It can't restart but can do a shutdown. Restarting puts the laptop in a unbootable state!
    Actually MSI or OEMs package the BIOS update and send it to MSFT for further use case testing and validation and only then it gets into WU catalog. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...updating-device-firmware-using-windows-update

9. skman

skman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    what's new with the new bios?

10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Nothing that I've noticed other than the fonts on the screen look a bit sharper or I've been cursed by the placebo effect

Papusan likes this.