NEW BILL WOULD BAN IPODS!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nonprophet, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonprophet

nonprophet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Even though the record industry has been enjoying a resurged interest in music-buying via Apple's iTunes Store, they want the government to guarantee them market share by banning file-sharing devices like iPod that could be used to play/share illegally copied music. Never mind that millions and millions of songs have been downloaded legally from the iTunes Store, never mind that concert sales are totally flat this summer because cosumers are (rightly!) balking at higher and higher ticket prices/fees, no, in their perpetual effort to line their pockets and screw over their customer base, the RIAA is trying to ban anything and everything that they see as a threat to their bottom-line. Instead of embracing new technology and maximizing it to their benefit (i.e I really wish my sattelite radio in my car had a feature where while I was listening to a song I could hit a button marking it to add to my "to buy" list, and then send the list to my computer so I could buy all those cool songs I hear at the iTunes Store.....) no, the fat-cats in the recording industry have been having it too good for too long (i.e most of the cd's I buy for $15 at the store only have 3-4 songs that I really like, and iTunes Store gives me the chance to buy 15 songs I really like for my $15--something the recording industry thieves see as a threat......) and instead of taking action to enforce their copyrights (I personally think it's wrong to make copies to sell to people and they SHOULD go after people who do that....it just cost the record industry money....) now they want to stifle our freedoms and the marketplace to force us to buy music THEIR way, not OUR way!!!!

Go to this link: http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/06282004c.php

And be sure to FAX your Senator and let them know THIS BILL STINKS!!!![:(!][:(!][:(!]

2. mathlete2001

mathlete2001 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That does stink, my dad is about to buy an iPOD mini since I just gave him $50 for iTunes. I dislike RIAA more and more each day. They are shooting themselves in the foot, really, and making everyone pay.

GPU cooling (100°C->75°C)* Inspiron 8600 * 1.8ghz Pentium M * 128 MB Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo (337/242 -> 400/300) * 2x256 MB DDR2700 SDRAM * Aquamark 3: 24058 * 3DMark'03: 3404 * 3DMark'01 SE: 13120

3. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    it's an age old paradigm, either catch up with the times or try and legislate against the inevitable and slow down progression. The RIAA has chosen to legislate...they'd probably be happier going back to the age of Records as a media. Legislation will work for awhile, but digital isn't going away of course and eventually the markets and a little bit of legislation and laws of distributing digital copyrighted music (and not banning or trying to stop it altogether) will win the day.

4. mathlete2001

Reputations:
    Maybe they are just banning iPods for public safety?
    http://www.liquidgeneration.com/rumormill/ipod_killing.html

GPU cooling (100°C->75°C)* Inspiron 8600 * 1.8ghz Pentium M * 128 MB Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo (337/242 -> 400/300) * 2x256 MB DDR2700 SDRAM * Aquamark 3: 24058 * 3DMark'03: 3404 * 3DMark'01 SE: 13120

5. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    haha, thats a new one, smells like a fake story to me too.

zx5000 :: 2.4M :: 512 DDR :: 40gb 4200 RPM HD :: 15.4" :: Radeon 9600 Mobilty M10 :: Aquamark3 22,856

6. Gatch

Gatch Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't think that the bill would be passed. If if was then the courts would likely overule it. The same thing happened when VCR's hit the market but courts ruled that while the machines could be used for illegal purposes (copying movies and reselling them) they could also be used in legal ways. You can't restrict something just because it might be used for something illegal. At least so says the Supreme Court.

7. mathlete2001

Reputations:
    That's like outlawing knives because you could cut someone, or outlawing cars because they could transport drugs.

8. Gatch

Gatch Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly the problem comes down to primary use. If a VCR or iPod's primary use is something illegal than they can make their case. I think here the arguement for replacing and storing your own music connection in one place is pretty strong. That didn't work for the file sharing software as it's primary purpose was illegal.

9. rokov

rokov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    aaahhh... good old canada. Where for the most part we don't get all these new laws past all the time. Sounds like it prolly wouldnt happen anywhere, because it's going to hurt the economy more if they banned them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.