New battery calibration process?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by cipiripi84, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
  2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:

Read post #8 again.

1) Yes.. It should help this.
    2) You should only care about the 80% charge limit if you are constantly on AC power. If that is the case... Follow Panasonic's guidelines for battery recalibration and you will be fine. Overall these batteries will take a beating for years. They don't last forever though!

3. Gear6

Gear6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks. I mostly use the laptop on battery, and charge it when it's ~fully discharged, so I should be good without 80% limit.
    But, as it's been 5 months since I started using it, it's time for a recal.

How long does it usually take (with the battery charged as it is now) ?

I want to know, to be able to keep it plugged as long as it needs.

4. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If your battery is in good shape then it's going to take 6-8 hours . My 30 took about 7 hours last time I did it. I always run it at night so when I get up it's all done. It all comes down to how good your battery is.

5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I've got several CF-30s right now that took 14+ hours since they have the media bay battery too. But on a single battery... 6-10 hours on mine... A CF-19 should be 5-8 hours total depending on if it needs to be charged before discharge.

6. Gear6

Reputations:
    it's recalibrating now. it took 1hr to charge from 90% to 100%. now it's dicharging... I estimate ~7hrs (1+3dischage+3charge).

7. Gear6

Reputations:
    recal completed this morning. I supposedly lost 10% of capacity... a bit disappointed, after 5 months of usage from a new battery used in a proper way (w/ 25 cycles & 220hrs total cf19 runtime).

Later Edit:

Before the calibration: 100% reported capacity, drop from 23% to 10% in a few seconds
    After: 90% reported capacity, there's STILL a drop from ~19% to 10% in a few seconds: battery-drop.png see image attached.

8. cipiripi84

cipiripi84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the all replies.
    I ordered and received a new oem battery (off the ebay). I placed the battery in the slot, its charging for lets say 15-20 mins then Im getting red flashing light?..I thought something was wrong with my charger so i went ahead and ordered oem charger from amazon (old one was IBM)..and again the same story..
    The seller told me its brand new battery never used, but after a couple of minutes charging it ,Im getting flashing red light.
    Any ideas?
    thanks

9. Gear6

Reputations:
    this doesn't sound too good. the problem with batteries, is that they degrade over time even when stored and not used (especially if it's discharged).
    How old is the battery ? (look for the manufacture date in Panasonic PC Information Viewer, or some other battery info program).
    I remember reading here about this happening (red light a short while after charging is started). It may be that it's not accepting charges anymore (internal resistance too high, etc).
    I'm not 100% sure, but with worn out NiMH cells, the voltage rises quickly to high levels, so the charging circuit stops the charging process, to prevent overheat/fire/etc. Hope that's not the case here.

Did you charge it with the PC off, or on ? leave it off, plugged in, for a few hours at least, maybe it was deeply discharged, and it may start charging eventually.

How many cycles does it have (should be zero, or 1-2), and what's the reported Design Capacity and Last Full capacity) - PC Info Viewer

10. cipiripi84

cipiripi84 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In Panasonic PC Info viewer I can't find manafucture date of the battery.
    I tried first with PC off. First couple of minutes it was charging then red blinking light. I tried with PC on and the same thing.
    Interesting thing is, while PC is on red flashing light, I took battery out and put it back in, red flashing light is gone, and after couple of minutes its back.
    I run this program called BatterCare, and its showing total discharge cycles :0, and design capacty and las full capacity I cant find those either in my pc information viewer.
    I apologize for my bad english.
    Have no idea what to do with this red blinking light issue. Its blinking red light even if I take the battery out of the laptop

EDIT: Battery model : CF- VZSU48
    Total capacity: 60700mWh
    Current capacity: 610 mWh
    Voltage: 5382mv
    Wear level: 0.00%
    Last calibration date: No record
    Calibrations performed: 0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.