New Avira AntiVir Personal 9

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Arki, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So it was working and just like that suddenly stopped updating? When you hover over its tray icon what date does it show for last update?

2. Aeris

Aeris Otherworldly

Reputations:
    Thanks for making it known!

Even though I do not use Avira, I will keep it in mind.

3. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Yeah all of a sudden yesterday it quit working for no apparent reason, strange. I even left the AVnotify alone so I always get the popup message. :confused:

My last update was 6/11/09. It's happened in the past on some of my other computers and the only fix was to uninstall then reinstall the AV.

edit: This problem is usually Vista related. On all the computers where this issue arises it's running Vista. The current system i'm referring to, i'm dual booting Vista and XP. In XP it updates fine with zero problems.

I reinstalled Avira and it still was very slow updating. I decided to switch to Avast for the time being.

4. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's really strange although I have seen related threads on Avira's own support forums; you might want to try there. FWIW, I have Avira on two Vista machines and never experienced this.

5. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    That's odd...:confused: This has never happened to me.
    You may want to check the Avira forums and see if something is going on. ;)

Or, have you thought of uninstalling, and putting back on your lappy?

I have it on my lappy running Vista, and my Netbook running XP..no probs like this. :(

Cin ;) :)

6. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Yup I uninstalled Avira and then reinstalled it. Still takes forever and a day to update. The updater broke all on it's own. It's happened on my T60 Stinkpad as well as on my Vostro 1700 all running Vista. The T60 developed the problem and so I uninstalled it then installed Avast. Afterwards I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled Avira and then it worked. Hasn't given me a problem since. So yeah the problem is real weird. Sometimes it's fixes itself which is even more bizarre.

I switched to Avast for the time being. It's just as good as Avira just a little heavier on the resource side which isn't a real biggie since I have 3GB of ram.

7. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    Stinkpad..lulz :p :D (sorry I thought that wording was funny) ;)

It's odd that this is happening to you, with the results your having on both lappys!

Well I hope that Avast works out for you til the prob' potentially get's fixed.
    I've never used Avast..but lot's of peep's like it. And, it's what works for you that matters most! ;)

8. yuyi64

yuyi64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No problem updating Avira 9 today. Yesterday and Friday the updates took a very long time to download, but the update process seems to be back to normal today.

9. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    My updates on Friday went at normal speed...Saturday, maybe a bit slower..but it worked :)

Looking for today's update yet! ;)

10. TeeJay 44

TeeJay 44 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Avast is rock solid. That is why I am back to using it again after trying all the freebies out there numerous times. For me, Avast is something I can rely upon, come hell or high water :cool:

And a scheduled boot time scan is another thing that Avast offers. As well as password protection to prevent a virus etc. disabling your AV.

Detection rate not quite as good as Avira....but never an issue. Ever.

Suits me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.