New Asus ROG Ryzen Laptops On The Way!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by HaloGod2012, May 18, 2017.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nvidia has its own share of driver issues.
    AMD managed to change things around quite drastically with their Crimson software and are at this point better than Nvidia in terms of support and how fast things get fixed.

Vasudev, triturbo and hmscott like this.
  2. Glzmo

Glzmo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This may be true for current products. However, AMD doesn't like fixing bad bugs for older products (to be fair, AMD at least support newer features on their older products, while Nvidia often does not - see the Fermi/DX12 dilemma).

For example, roughly a year ago (since Catalyst 16.7.3, 16.7.2 was the last one without the bug) they introduced a driver bug for GCN 1.0 cards like the Radeon HD7970M in Crossfire Mode with ULPS where Windows 10 would crash/freeze on shutdown/restart. It can be worked around by disabling ULPS (requires a restart, though, so you have to disable crossfire first before the restart or you will get the crash!). If you forget to do this after installing a new driver, it crashes. If you have any windows or windows store software updates pending installation at that time, the shutdown crash can cause Windows 10 and/or your software to be no longer updatable and you basically have to reinstall Windows (System restore won't work in that case). Imagine how "fun" this is if you are clueless and you let the system update the display driver automatically...
    People that have been affected (including myself until I got my new Nvidia based laptop a month ago, now my brother has to deal with my old system and AMD driver problems) have reported the bug with their bug report tool every new driver release since and tried to contact AMD representatives, but they don't care.

That said, being someone that isn't a loyalist to any brand and has used ATi/AMD and Nvidia cards in various systems ever since 3dfx went out of business, I can say that Nvidia's drivers have gotten worse in recent years, while AMD's have gotten noticeably better. However, Nvidia's still seem to be a bit ahead in that regard (but maybe I'm a bit swayed by the availability of Nvidia inspector/Nvidia Profile Inspector which makes tweaking drivers for games etc. so much more flexible where there is nothing truly comparable for AMD cards).

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    First of all I'd like to point out that Windows 10 is at the heart of all of these problems, so if you stop using Windows 10 you can save yourselves a lot of headache's.

Waiting for MS to stop screwing around with the current OS, and using the previous stable OS, are just wise moves all around.

IDK about Windows 10 though. MS said it's the "last OS", and they will continue updating there forever... so maybe Windows 8.1 will be the last Windows OS to be livable. o_O

I hope you filed a ticket and posted a bug report with AMD for this latest bug with Windows 10 - and file it with Microsoft too

MS are good at coming out with little patch files to fix corruption in the Windows Update system. MS can't survive without the ability to give you updates so they will be happy to get it fixed for you.

4. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Jeez guys, I was only remarking about one specific time where drivers were a major issue, which was the nightmarish launch of the W90P.

I wasn't making a commentary on either sides history of drivers, or trying to stoke a forum war over whether Nvidia or AMD is better than the other.

Stand down, soldiers.

jaug1337, MahmoudDewy and hmscott like this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No one is initiating a forum war over drivers from either AMD or Nvidia.
    We simply pointed out that just like AMD, Nvidia had/has its own driver issues at the same time.
    Also, not everyone apparently suffered from those issues on either hardware.

Anyway, do we have any further information on when the ROG with 1700 and RX 580 is due for a release?
    Asus seems to have a working laptop already, so I'm just wondering when is the release date.

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This thread can stay open as long as everyone sticks to the topic. The atmosphere is getting a little tense.

Charles

7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    I think this needs to be about $250 cheaper than your typical Intel + GTX 1060 equipped laptop, to really make a splash.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not having Intel and Nvidia on/in the laptop immediately credits this laptop's account by about $1M. :)

Same price, a little more, a little less, it's still not Intel+Nvidia.

Priceless. :)

triturbo, Vasudev and MahmoudDewy like this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would prefer if the price was indeed lower than the competing Intel and 1060 laptop.
    And realistically, we COULD get that considering the 1700 is cheaper than the 7700hq - but it would also depend on one's configuration (larger or lower capacity SSD for example and amount of RAM).

I would love the price to be at £1000 for a model with 256 GB SSD.

£1250 can also be dealt with.

Most expensive models in the range of say £1400 to £1600 would likely have 512GB SSD and 32GB RAM.

But much lower ROG prices with such hardware would definitely be a slap in the face to not just Intel but also other OEM's (and a well deserved one at that).

jaug1337 and hmscott like this.
  10. Miguel Pereira

Miguel Pereira Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/specifications/

Pre-order prices:
    1399£
    • 17.3" HD IPS Freesync 1920x1080
    • Ryzen 5 1600
    • AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB GDDR5
    • 256GB M.2 SSD
    • 1TB 5400RPM HDD
    • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
    • Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
    1589£
    • 17.3" HD IPS Freesync 1920x1080
    • Ryzen 7 1700
    • AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB GDDR5
    • 256GB M.2 SSD
    • 1TB 5400RPM HDD
    • 16GB 2400MHz DDR4
    • Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
    Bit too steep. It steps into GTX1070 prices. And I guess it doesn't really stand a chance against it...

hmscott and jaug1337 like this.