New Asus ROG Ryzen Laptops On The Way!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by HaloGod2012, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    WOW, you are talking about something that was made in the previous decade, that wasn't even full AMD system and ROG brand doesn't even matter. Back then ASUS notebooks weren't good anyways, the N56 series and Zenbooks is when they stepped up their game big time. Even if they didn't make AMD gaming notebooks for a while their Trinity and Richland powered N series had mid range dGPUs and good quality, then the N551ZU which had FX-7600P (Kaveri) and R9 m280X which people that bought it liked it quite bit and some even wanted to buy but it wasn't available in NA, and the FX550IU with FX-9830P and RX460 is by far the best AMD laptop released so far, I know people hate on APUs but FX-9830P is quite good for a 35W chip being on par with A10 7850K and close to i5 6300HQ yet no one but ASUS used it. With the exception of the MSI GX60 variants and the Lenovo Y700 and on the non gaming side the HP Elitebooks all the other manufacturers have done is release crapbooks.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    An RX580 with 4GB VRAM. Why gimp it like that?

3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    It comes with a 1080p display, so I guess they think that 4GB would be enough, so - cost cutting. As long as it is socketed and MXM I'll give them a pass.

hmscott likes this.
  4. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It looks like it's using normal desktop cpu: 65W Ryzen 7 1700 8c/16t

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  5. Hurik

Hurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which should, theoretically, annihilate Intel's mainstream 7700hq in all respects (but gaming?)

hmscott likes this.
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Gaming on 1700 shouldn't be that far off from 7700k to begin with (the differences aren't actually huge - and game devs have been releasing patches, and when combined with microcode updates from AMD, performance on stock 1700x for example has gone up dramatically on 1080p... whereas on anything above that resolution, its easily on par).

Any gaming differences won't be that noticeable anyway because the CPU will provide more than playable framerates at 1080p.
    You can also output to 2k for example... and 580x is a decent 2k performer... which begs the question, why no option for 2k laptop screen?

hmscott and sasuke256 like this.
  7. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My Bestbuy G73jh lasted 4.5yrs and was awesome. I didn't even think about an upgrade for over 3yrs and that in and of itself was longer than my previous 2 laptops combined.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Dialup David

Dialup David Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Holy balls, 8c/16t Ryzen 7?! This is amazing, I just hope that the Mobile variant of the RX580 isn't gimped. A GTX 1080 with a R7 1700 would be extremely welcomed. Although, I'm not a fan of ASUS laptops.. Aesthetically they just remind me of 2010.

jaug1337 and hmscott like this.
  9. estens

estens Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I really hope AMD succeeds and gives Nvidia and Intel some real competition

steberg, jaug1337 and hmscott like this.
  10. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    7700K? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's really not that close. Keep in mind that:
    1. The R7 1700 in this ASUS is only 3 GHz (no overclocking) vs. 4.4+ GHz of 7700K with better IPC on top of that, +50% clock speed advantage Intel
    2. The 1080p screen is 120Hz which favors higher clocked Intel CPUs for gaming
    3. AMD GPUs favor high single-threaded performance CPUs (AKA Intel) due to their driver architecture
    4. RotTR Ryzen patch was nice and all, but that's the exception not the norm, especially among multiplat devs, and Nixxes is one of AMD's main partners ($$$)
    Also, the RX 580 in this is 65W (!). The DT RX 580 is 185W. Did ASUS/AMD just pull a "Max-Q" on us where it's an RX 580 in name only, but performs more like an RX 560 in practice? If ASUS bundles this laptop with a 150W power supply that would complete the farce.

This ASUS laptop would make a mean mobile video editing rig assuming it can keep all 8 cores at 3 GHz under max load without thermal throttling, but that's about its only strength compared to the competition (for now).

The Best Buy G73JH SKUs were lower end and and released later after some of the initial issues were ironed out, so they were less problematic in general. But ASUS learned their lesson and phased out the G73JH just months later with the G73JW and then G73SW, although NOS and refurb G73JH units continued to be sold until the end of 2011.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    long2905 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.