New Aorus X5 (GTX 965M SLI) and X3 (GTX 970M)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Nand@, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger10

Trigger10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wondering how the track pad is. I had purchased the X3 when it was first released and returned it (for a myriad of reasons), but high among the list was the track pads lack of responsiveness. Anyone have some thoughts or experience with this new model and if they updated the quality of the track pad?

2. SeagateBoy

SeagateBoy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What reasons did you have? I'm looking to buy an Aorus this fall (waiting for black friday deal) but would like to know more about the brand, please share your experience if you would, thanks :)

3. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just got schooled. :vbtongue:
    This may be the first time I've heard about the screen being non-glossy. Perhaps my panel assumption based on the hardware ID MEI96A2 was unfounded.
    It was also my understanding that all X5s came with white backlighting, but kickback's post made me wonder. Neither of the photos make any form of backlighting evident. The white letters and symbols even vaguely look to be part of stickers.

ssj92 likes this.
  4. wiregen

wiregen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Aorus x5 does have keyboard backlighting. If you look at the space key you see it has the LED illumination hotkey.

5. Trigger10

Reputations:
    Here's the review I posted last year when I had purchased the X3 Plus and sent it back. So far, based on the info I've seen on the X5, looks like a lot of these have been upgraded/updated (e.g. keyboard flex, *some* heat issues, etc.) Just really hoping the trackpad is more responsive than the X3 Plus is. I've used a rMBP for so long, I've become a complete track pad snob. It's terrible. o_O Hope this helps.

Aorus X3+:
    Enjoyed:
    - Super sleek design - looks like a stealth bomber, but nothing gaudy; perfect size to carry around, really light
    - Screen - great resolution like RB and MSi
    - Lack of bloatware (Aorus is made by Gigabyte so it has the same useful programs the p35w v2 has - fan control, WIN key lock, etc)
    - SSD and RAM upgradeability (16gb and lots of choices on HD and SSD)
    - Chasis - all aluminum build, very solid
    - Ports - for a 13.9" laptop, this one has it all - plenty of ports
    - Macro keys (5 of them on left side with multiple configuration options, both in game and for general use. Also can be color coordinated; adds nice touch to the white back lite keyboard)
    Disliked:
    - Speakers - like the p35w v2, just not good
    - Heat/Noise - should've put this comment with the p35w v2 as well. The fan throttles up to it's "max" settings whenever the CPU gets to 90c or higher. It will run that high till it drops 5 degrees. Problem is, the lag time between running 90c and 85c is like, 4 minutes. So the fans are constantly running super loud, then medium loud. The back and forth started to give me a nervous twitch after a while. Other than that the heat was bearable, much like the p35
    - Trackpad. It's glass. Best way to describe is that it's like the face of an iPhone. I just wasn't feeling it. Was like my fingers kept getting "stuck" on the glass surface. Responsiveness was good, but I just couldn't get used to it
    - Screen size - know it's listed at 13.9", but I swear it felt a lot smaller then the RB, which is listed at 14". I must be getting old
    - Power brick - again big and heavy. If RB can make a small PB for a larger laptop with less specs, Aorus should be able to as well
    - Keyboard flex here as well, although not as bad as the p35w v2; mostly contained to center of keyboard

6. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah that was a mistake, it does comes with backlight keyboard as standard. for some reason it wasn't turned on at the time by default so the narrator thought the backlight wasn't the feature.

7. Nand@

Nand@ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. Svnyster

Svnyster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just received my X5, and I can tell you that your concerns about the trackpad have been addressed. The only way I enjoyed using the trackpad on the X3 was to use the included plastic film to cover it. The trackpad surface on the X5 is not glossy like on the X3. I really can't tell if it's a frosted glass (similar to MacBooks) or if it's some other material. My fingers were still sticking to it at first, but after about 15 minutes of normal use, the stickiness went away. It might be due to the natural oil from my fingers on the trackpad, but it feels great now.

The bottom portion of the trackpad is still buttons only, meaning the entire trackpad surface is not usable for pointer movement or scrolling. They did make the surface textured where the buttons are, so you can physically tell when you've reached the end of the tracking surface, unlike the X3.

Although the trackpad is a frosted glass(?) material, it does still attract fingerprints, though it's not as bad as the glossy surface of the X3.

There are only two changes I can think of that would make this trackpad just about perfect for myself. First, I'd prefer to have the entire surface of the trackpad to be usable for tracking, instead of making the bottom 1/4th for left/right buttons only. And second, there is not an option for inertial scrolling within the Elan configuration. There is an option for auto-scroll (I can't remember if that option was available on the X3 or not), but it just doesn't seem as natural as the inertial scrolling that many other trackpads have.

Another issue I heard about was the fan noise. When I began the initial setup process, the fans were very loud (I was also doing this at my office, which is a very quiet environment). After the setup completed, the COMMAND & CONTROL app opened up, and I noticed the fan speed was set to "Gaming". After changing the fan speed to "Quiet", it was extremely quiet. I'll try running some benchmarks with different fan speeds later tonight, and I'll post my results here. For a comparison of the fan noise, it's definitely not any louder than my MSI GS60 (the fans of my GS60 3K are nearly intolerable) when set to "Gaming".

Overall first impressions on my end are pretty good, but it is just a first glance. I haven't had time to try running any benchmarks or games yet. If anyone has any questions about the X5, let me know and I'll be happy to answer.

9. MrD1sturbed

MrD1sturbed Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can anyone that has received theirs already comment on battery life? The Tech Radar review says battery is bad, like less than 2 hours bad. I'm sure it's not good, but I was hoping for at least 3 hours on battery. Not having optimus seems like it might really hurt the X5 from a portability aspect.

On another note, my X5 will be here tomorrow, so I will make sure to post my initial thoughts and possibly an unboxing video.

pau1ow likes this.
  10. Trigger10

Reputations:
    This is great to hear - I'm really glad that they spent some time upgrading the trackpad. Thanks also for the feedback on the fan noise. The X3 Plus model I had included this feature as well (fan adjustment). I never really tested it under load, so I'll be interested in hearing what your results are after you do some benchmarking. If it's usable with the fans on quiet while sitting on a cooling pad, I'll be a happy camper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.