New Aorus X5 (GTX 965M SLI) and X3 (GTX 970M)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Nand@, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger10

Trigger10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Neptune, that's good to hear - was really surprised at the performance loss. Is the BIOS update pushed to the machine when connected to internet or do you have to manually download it?

2. Svnyster

Svnyster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The BIOS update would not be pushed automatically. It can be downloaded from the Aorus website or using the Drivers Update software that is preinstalled on the notebook.

3. cyna

cyna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So what does that mean for actual numbers?

4. Svnyster

Reputations:
    I don't have a full review written up yet, but I wanted to provide some information on some of the main topics I haven't addressed, and some observations I have made.

Performance
    With SLI and G-SYNC enabled (newest BIOS firmware), I got a Fire Strike score of 7901 (10152 graphics, 11350 physics, 2534 combined). During the test, the CPU reached a max temp of 92°C and the GPUs peaked at 62°C and 66°C. I haven't had time to test benchmark any games yet, but I'm hoping to test GTA V, TW3, and some others before this weekend.

Fan Noise/Performance
    The fans are loud when set to Gaming or Normal within the COMMAND & CONTROL program. However, set the fans to Quiet, and it is barely noticeable in most environments. Running Fire Strike with the fans set to quiet, I got a score of 3553 (4997 graphics, 5498 physics, 961 combined). Not that great of a score considering the hardware (on par with an i7-4710HQ and a single GTX 860M), but the max temps during the test were 63°C for the CPU and 56°C/59°C for the GPUs. I ran GTA V for a little bit with the fans set to Quiet (didn't benchmark it and ran at default settings), and it looked good. I'll try to get some actual benchmarks on the Quiet setting as well.

Hardware (Memory)
    The system comes with 16GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport PC3-14900 (BLS8G3N18AES4) memory preinstalled, and includes two open slots for additional modules. I purchased two more sticks of the BLS8G3N18AES4 modules and installed in the two open slots. Upon the initial installation, the BIOS wouldn't POST. I removed the added memory and it booted just fine. So I reset the CMOS battery and disconnected/reconnected the main battery after reinstalling the new modules, and after being on a solid black screen for about 30 seconds (most likely due to resetting the CMOS), I was able to boot into BIOS. The additional modules were recognized were recognized in BIOS and in Windows. The only other issue I had with the memory installation is there is some shielding tape on the mainboard where the memory is installed. There appears to be some wires or chips at the base of the SODIMM connector covered by the shielding tape, which made it difficult to get the modules seated completely. I had to hold the modules down while pushing the clips into place since the fit was so tight. I contacted Aorus US support center about it, and they said that although it's a tight fit, there shouldn't be any issues.

5. wiregen

wiregen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've also had this weird memory issue with my X7 Pro sync. Installed Corsair 1866mhz in and the system wouldnt post. I thought I had to have matching DIMs (this model had G.SKILL 1866mhz ram in it) but what I did that worked was I removed the GSKILL Ram, reseated it and put the Corsair Ram and it posted fine. Never had a blackscreen issue since.

6. Daynthebold

Daynthebold Newbie

Reputations:
    I was shopping for gaming laptops and saw this. I'm considering the Ghost Pro mainly because I'm concerned about overheating. Are the temps cited in the benchmarks above out of line?

I ask because I need something that will last about five years since I can't afford an upgrade every two. Will I be replacing a burned out laptop if I get this or am I better off sticking to a single gpu solution for longevity?

7. MrD1sturbed

MrD1sturbed Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should have no problem with temps in the X5. The GPU temps are down right frigid compared to the Ghost (i've had 4 incarnations of the Ghost over the last year, all have had GPU temps in the high 70 low 80's). CPU temps are a bit high, but well within thermal guidelines for the Broadwell chips. I'd say go for the X5, you won't regret it. Plus it's infinitely more upgradable than the Ghost, if that's an issue.

Svnyster likes this.
  8. Svnyster

Reputations:
    The temps are within a decent range for a slim gaming notebook. The GS60 with the i7-4710HQ CPU and GTX 970M GPU would reach CPU temps of about 85°C and GPU temps of around 75°C. The CPU does run a bit hotter on the X5 (at about 90°C being stressed), but the GPUs are running quite a bit cooler on the X5. Either way, it should not be an issue as long as temps stay below 100°C, but the temperatures are going to be higher on just about any thin & light gaming notebook like the X5 or the GS60.

If you're still worried about the temps, here's my recommendations to you.
    1. Don't buy a slim gaming notebook. The temps will be higher no matter what on notebooks like the X5 or GS60, because there's less space inside the chassis for airflow. You might want to consider something like a Sager/Clevo. It'll be a bit heavier than the GS60 and thicker than both, but you'll get better airflow with the larger chassis.
    2. Apply a better thermal compound to the CPU and GPU(s). Unless you know what you're doing, DO NOT attempt to do this yourself! There's a lot of things to consider when changing your thermal paste, like how much to apply, how much pressure needs to be applied between the heatsink and the CPU/GPU, and both of these can be dependent on what type of thermal paste you choose to use. Most sites you can order gaming notebooks from (XOTIC PC and Gentech PC for example) will give you an option for upgrading the thermal compound, and if they do it, the unit will remain under warranty.
    3. Throttle your CPU/GPU(s). On the X5, you can adjust the fan speed with the COMMAND&CONTROL program. If you set the fans to "Quiet", the CPU and GPUs will be throttled to prevent them from going over a certain temperature that would necessitate higher fan speeds. Benchmarking at these fan speeds resulted in CPU temps of about 63°C and GPU temps of about 56-59°C. I ran GTA V at both max and quiet fan speeds, and was getting 50-60fps on both settings with no noticeable difference between the two. So you could keep the fan speed set to "Quiet" for normal use, and change it to "Gaming" if you notice any issues while running more graphically intensive games.

SIartibartfast and MrD1sturbed like this.
  9. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I've re-pasted with IC Diamond and all settings are the same as on the review video. The CPU runs much cooler than the stock thermal paste:

Aorus-X5-3DMark-FireStrike-IC-Diamond.JPG

SIartibartfast, Nand@, Convel and 2 others like this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Now that's much better. I'd be fine with that. Was the ambient temperatures around the same as the review video?

I'd wonder how long that IC Diamond would last though. I had to repaste my old Alienware 17 every six months or so.

You should do a +135mhz overclock on both GPU cores and +100mhz on memory and see what that yields in firestrike and temperatures.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.