New Aorus X5 (GTX 965M SLI) and X3 (GTX 970M)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Nand@, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger10

Trigger10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, 50% performance loss with G-Sync enabled? Is that right? Anyone know if the other machines with G-Sync are having that same issue? Seems excessive.

And who's Origin? I've never heard of them before and there isn't a section for them on the forums. Anyone know about their products? Web site looks pretty legit as do their machines.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Svnyster

Svnyster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ran the PCMark Home Battery test on my X5 to test the battery life when doing things like web browsing, text editing, minor photo editing, and video chat. The battery life is worse while doing video chat compared to text editing, but the test gives a good balance between everything. I did not let the battery run down completely since I still have work that I need to do on it, but I let it run down from 100% to 80%.

In my first test, I left SLI enabled, turned the fans to Quiet Mode, and had the screen brightness at the default for balanced power, which is around 25% brightness. It took right around 30 minutes to drain the battery down to 80%, so that would give about 2.5 hours on a full charge.

For my second test, I turned SLI off and dropped the screen brightness to the minimum, and I calculated about an extra 15 minutes of battery life.

So in regards to Tech Radar's review, they're probably right about getting under 2 hours of battery life if you're doing something like video editing or gaming. However, if you're doing something like word processing with the best power settings, I bet you could squeeze 3 hours out of it.

I wanted to address some of your dislikes of the X3 to help you out with making a decision for the X5.
    - Speakers - They're okay.. If you go into the speaker properties and enable the equalizer, you can probably find a setting that gives a better sound. I personally liked the Live and Club settings.
    - Heat/Noise - With the fans set to Quiet, it is very quiet when the fans do kick on, but during light use, they'll go for a while without spinning at all. The bottom did get a little warm with the lowest fan setting under light use, but it's really not bad. As I'm typing this (nothing else being run), the CPU is at 50C and the GPUs are at 46C.
    - Power brick - So the x5 comes with a 200W power adapter, but I have not taken it out of the box yet. Coming from an MSI GS60 and an Aorus X3+, I have a few 150W power adapters lying around. The output voltage is the same at 19.5V, but it's just a lower amperage than the 200W power adapter. I haven't tested under a heavier load, but the 150W adapter powers and charges the X5 just fine under lighter loads. So if you wanted a small and light adapter for travel, you could get Razer's 150W adapter for the Blade or Blade Pro, and it will work.
    - Keyboard flex - My X3+ did have keyboard flex, but I didn't mind it too much. But if the flex was an issue for you, it won't be on the X5. This thing is solid! I've been pressing around and I have yet to find a weak spot.

I didn't have time to perform any other benchmarks or tests tonight, but I should have time over the next couple of days. And again, if there's anything in particular you guys would like me to test, just let me know.

3. SeagateBoy

SeagateBoy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Origin is a Clevo reseller/builder, just like Sager, Digital Storm, Mythlogic, etc EON is one of their notebook lineups, just FYI :)

4. Trigger10

Trigger10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice, thanks for that info. Any idea on the quality of their products?

5. SeagateBoy

Reputations:
    I never use any of their laptops so can't comment on that, but if I'm not mistaken they used to be Alienware engineers (Alienware used to be a Clevo reseller/builder themselves).

6. Panada

Panada Newbie

Reputations:
    Can someone please comment on the flex of the screen? I heard that previous models of the aorus had build quality issues with the bezel + screen.

7. MrD1sturbed

MrD1sturbed Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To me the flex in the screen isn't that bad. I had worse flex in the GS60 Ghost, and I didn't consider that to be horrible either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. SeagateBoy

Reputations:
    I hope you realize that this is a subjective issue, if you're coming from macbook then expect to be disappointed since macbook has the sturdiest screen/hinge, so I suggest you see it for yourself

9. Svnyster

Svnyster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the time I have spent with the X5, I'd say that the screen flex and hinge are the biggest flaws of the unit. The build quality of the display housing seems to be better than my X3+. On my X3+, there were small gaps between the bezel and rear housing. On the X5, the bezel is slightly recessed into the rear housing and gives the entire assembly a stronger build.

The screen has a pretty good amount of flex to it, and I think a big part of that is because of the hinge. With units like the MSI GS60, the hinges are on the outer edges of the display, which seem to make it feel a bit sturdier. With the hinge of the X5 being in the middle of the display and about 80mm between the hinge and the edge of the display on either side, it's noticeable that this is part of the screen flex issues.

For the hinge itself, when opening and closing the display "properly", it feels great. It's not too weak, but not so firm that it requires two hands to open and close. Since the hinge is centered, the display has to be opened by lifting from the center. Trying to lift from one of the corners just makes the screen flex, and although the display housing feels sturdy, I don't want to apply any additional pressure in attempts to open the display from the corners. The screen also wobbles a lot if you move the notebook with the display open. If you have the notebook sitting on a desk, you won't notice any screen movement if you type with an average amount of force. If you're a heavy typist, you may notice the screen wobbling a bit. And by heavy, I mean I had to type so forcefully, that it was uncomfortable. If you work with the notebook on your lap or another non-rigid surface, you'll probably notice the screen moving around.

I completely agree with SeagateBoy about this topic though. The screen flex is going to be relative to what you're used to using. Comparing to a MacBook Pro and Dell XPS 15, I notice a good amount of screen flex in many of the other thin gaming notebooks I have tried. To give you my personal opinion about the screen flex, I would prefer the hinge to be a bit more rigid to prevent the display from shaking as much while moving, since I often use the notebook on my lap. However, this would not be reason enough for me to return the unit without taking everything else into consideration.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Convel likes this.
  10. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Update: Gigabyte has informed TechRadar that a new BIOS update has fixed a bug that caused Nvidia's G-Sync technology to drag down the Aorus X5's performance. We've since installed the new firmware and retested the laptop to find the solution has indeed fixed the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.