New AMD Catalyst 13.1 WHQL DRIVER

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by B4n6k3, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pistino01

Pistino01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So to sum up, don't install these using the recommended method (uninstall old, sweep, install new), but install over old ones and cause a mess in your drivers. In my book, that sucks badly. I'm better off with 12.11 beta11...

2. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Coming from 12.10 because 12.11 beta always blue screened my computer. I had to do a fresh install last week of windows because my drivers were so messed up from playing with them that my card wasn't even running at full clock speeds anymore. Didn't uninstall anything just downloaded the mobility set of drivers and did the install....and it clearly installed the GPU driver as the screen went off and back on again so to the people complaining about no video driver I don't know what your talking about. I think a lot of the problem is people fiddle with drivers so much that it fills the system with garbage and it never gets truly removed. I laugh at everyone bashing AMD over this....I have had this computer for months and never had a problem with my 7970....the last hiccup was due to me installing beta drivers over and over trying to get them to work so I just spent a few hours clearing the system and everything went back to normal. I have always been able to run all my stuff on ultra settings and never had a problem...even on the stock dell drivers.

3. B4n6k3

B4n6k3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pistino, You're the new owner I guess... ? All the Alienware Laptop users at least 1 year must already aware about how tricky the updating Catalyst driver process. If you goggle or search a couple times back in this forum, there's more than 5 way about how people updating their system. Some people lucky enough to just install it on top of previous driver, and some don't. Even on the same system configuration. You just try and find the best method for your system. Mine can Install the update driver directly since the 12.9 beta 2 driver come out, but before that, need to get BSOD first and reinstall the driver after restart method to get the driver installed properly.

4. Pistino01

Pistino01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    B4n6k3, the best method for me is a clean install. I know this by the fact that every single driver i used worked and installed correctly except this broken one, which during installation (ANY installation, including over old ones) doesn't show up the driver component (the important component) as being installed. Thank you, for your esoteric alienware insight... your AW may have a mind of it's own, mine doesn't and works as it should. ... Also notice, that you have a diametrically different card than I do. Also regarding the BSOD, sounds like something is wrong with your system.

5. haxsux

haxsux Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    installed without a hitch but not sure about performance increase since 3dmark score hasn't changed.

6. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    bud im pretty certain you tried to install the Desktop drivers and not the mobility drivers? That would explain why no driver was being installed. ;)

Edit: And driver installed fine for me. I don't have the Igpu enabled though so I don't know if it works with that enabled.

7. Bagongolo

Bagongolo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Clean installed (mobility); until now no bsod, just a little bit artifacts but I gained 20/40 fps in world of tanks coming from the Dell stock, not bad at all.

8. vsg28

vsg28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, am I going nuts or is my version of CCC different? I do not have any software tab to check the status of the drivers from:

Untitled.jpg

9. tommyvlaming

tommyvlaming Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Installed on top of 12,11
    i dont see any difference in csgo

no bsod or something

stable drivers

10. tommyvlaming

tommyvlaming Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
Thread Status: