1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

New AMD Catalyst 13.1 WHQL DRIVER

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by B4n6k3, Jan 18, 2013.

1. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, now to clear up a few things. I was in the same situation, but have found the solution. Keep in mind my card is the 6970M. The desktop drivers will not work, so make sure you use mobility drivers.
    First thing next make sure you make a system restore point, by pressing windows key + pause break, click on system protection, and create a restore point. Then so you can roll back if you need to, works well, and gives you a restarting point to try again if need be.
    If you are on power saver graphics as known as the IGP, it will not install the key AMD display driver you need.
    Switch to performance, the actual dedicated graphics card, and do the install, select custom install and you will see that the AMD display driver package will be in the list.
    For any reason should your machine BSOD, or just reboot without you clicking anything, the install will not complete correctly. Just run it again and it should go through no problem this time around.
    Once finished your should view the log, and use GPU-Z to check your driver version.

This was an over the top install onto 12.11 beta (I upgraded from the original Dell drivers without driver sweeping preiously), and in theory should work the same with any driver install version if followed like above.

[​IMG]

Catalyst™ Install Manager
    Installation Report
    01/19/13 16:19:52

Hardware information

Name AMD Radeon Graphics Processor
    Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Device ID 0x6720
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Class Code 0x030000
    Revision ID 0x00
    Subsystem ID 0x04ba
    Subsystem vendor ID 0x1028
    Other hardware

Existing packages
    PX Profile Update
    AMD Catalyst Install Manager
    AMD APP SDK Runtime
    HDMI/DP Audio Driver
    AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding
    AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding
    AMD Media Foundation Transcoders
    Catalyst Control Center

Packages for install
    AMD Catalyst Install Manager
    Final Status: Success
    Version of Item: 8.0.903.0
    Size: 20 Mbytes
    AMD APP SDK Runtime
    Version of Item: 10.0.1084.4
    Size: 90 Mbytes
    AMD Display Driver
    Version of Item: 9.012.0.0000
    Size: 90 Mbytes

HDMI Audio Driver
    Version of Item: 7.12.0.7712
    Size: 1 Mbytes
    AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding
    Version of Item: 12.5.100.21219
    Size: 3 Mbytes
    AMD Media Foundation Transcoders
    Version of Item: 1.0.71219.1540
    Size: 1 Mbytes
    Catalyst Control Center
    Version of Item: 2012.1219.1521.27485
    Size: 150 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Device ID 0xaa88
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Class Code 0x040300
    Revision ID 0x00
    Subsystem ID 0x0490
    Subsystem vendor ID 0x1028

Error messages

2. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    I would never recommend using driver sweeper at all. It has screwed up my video card drivers multiple times and the only solution I found was to reinstall windows. :(

3. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My 3dmark scores have gone up a bit, just pulled 6603 marks and not that the WEI scores matter but they are all now 7.9

4. roughavoc

roughavoc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So here is my problem
    Alienware
    stock drivers -> 12.10 doenst install
    stock -> 12.11 beta does
    stock -> 12.11 -> 13.1 doesnt install
    stock -> 12.11 -> 13.2 beta does
    I think i might have a beta only 7970m.

Well 13.2 works fine so im going to stick with them

5. B4n6k3

B4n6k3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hell, only the 1 day and they release the beta...... :(

There is a difference view display for 3D Application Setting at Gaming Tab compare to the previous driver. Just see the picture. Just to make sure that you run the latest version for CCC, but for check the display driver version, you can use GPU-Z easily like someone post above. I don't have any idea why in your system doesn't have an information tab.

[​IMG]

6. Quagmire LXIX

Quagmire LXIX Have Laptop, Will Travel!

Reputations:
    Well done AMD for me, way to get off your gluteus maximus. Unlocked the power we knew to be there with the 12.11betas and the 13.1whql fixed the couple issues I had with the betas.

1) I had bsod's when booting to igpu right after the desktop appears everytime (read others had this issue to), no problems booting to dgpu. Now booting just fine to igpu.

2) Total Media Theatre 5 was hanging while loading any dvd/blu-ray (app opens fine, hangs when attempting to read disc, force close and get an AMD driver error), seen this in the OP as one of listed fixes "Corel PaintShop Pro X3 – Hangs at the “Initializing Command Manager” window" and wondering if my "hang" was fixed to. Indeed it is, all discs play, no hiccups.

Got the performance at a minor cost for a short time, then got the fix that makes the performance that much sweeter. Ya I know, kind of like praising the person who broke it for fixing it, but computers are complicated buggers. I've only run 3D Mark11 on stock clocks to have the same relative score as betas and Far Cry 3 still stutters, oh well.

Thanks for the word OP, been waiting for these.

7. Benjaminf

Benjaminf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What I did to solve my issue of catalyst control center not opening was:

- First I completely removed .net framework by running the .net framework cleunup utility.
    - Then I reinstalled .net framework 4.5 from microsofts website and ran windows update afterwards to update to the latest version.
    - Then I reinstalled the drivers by following: how to properly uninstall ATI/AMD Software Drivers for Graphics Cards. which j95 posted on page 4 (thanks for that).

ccc.png

8. shinji257

shinji257 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone seen issues the transparent overlay on some applications where it develops a checkerboard pattern? I seen it in some forks of PuTTY where they added background transparency but I also noticed it today in Firefox on 13.1.

Example (with Firefox)
    sshot-1-r50.jpg

EDIT: I've reverted to 12.11 Beta 11 for now since the issue isn't there. If this issue clears up in a future version I'll work with those but until then...

9. Coach Knight

Coach Knight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I haven't been on the forum much over the past few months as I've been very busy at work. Anyway, I saw this thread and wanted to upgrade my driver as I was still on the official Dell driver. After doing so I ran the 3DMark 11 Test.

Back in August I got this result on stock clocks (P5851): AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,Alienware M17xR4 score: P5851 3DMarks

No other changes, except this driver upgrade, and still stock clocks, today I got this (P6603): AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,Alienware M17xR4 score: P6603 3DMarks

Is that substantial jump simply due to the driver upgrade? I haven't changed a single thing on my laptop other than the driver upgrade.

10. Quagmire LXIX

Quagmire LXIX Have Laptop, Will Travel!

Reputations:
    Yes, welcome to what you've missed in the past month or more, 12.11beta performance updates just now wrapped up in a 13.1whql.

AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta Release Notes

11. vsg28

vsg28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have no idea why CCC is looking so different for me. I installed the latest versions from amd's website. I will try manually removing every amd driver and installing the latest one again.

12. Bagongolo

Bagongolo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In my CCC I can check the driver's status but under powerplay there's nothing else, I mean I can't manage the switchable graphic (win 7 and bios are able to see only the 7970 and not the hd4000)

Attached Files:

13. B4n6k3

B4n6k3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think both of you have an improper CCC Installation. Just Uninstall and Reinstall CCC only ( Don't using Express Install, but Instead using a Custom Install and Checklist the CCC).

Do you have an error log during previous installation ?

14. senshin

senshin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very good performing driver, faster and better then the last final build and even the 12.11Beta11
    I think the 7970m has some more hidden horses :p

15. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Installed these without any problems. Did the clean install as always.

Rand 3DMark11 and was amazed at the score increase. Scored over 300 points higher then my previous best run that had a higher OC.

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M17xR3 score: P6948 3DMarks

I think this was only 950/1400 (2920XM). My previous best was an OC of 1020/1560 (2760QM). I need to drop my OC on my CPU if I want to get a stable OC on my GPU.

I should have no issues breaking the 7K mark. Now the questions in my head are how high can I score.

16. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    looking forward to seeing how high you can push dude!! :p

17. Catzoo

Catzoo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anybody got any problems with theses new drivers ?

I tried installed them first over 12.1 ( got problems with BOII ) , and then i start having like artefacts on my browser ( not in game ). Well , it does looks like artefact, but imo it's more a bug of flash player or Js ( happens when webpages are loading, on facebook chat friend list etc.. ) , like hundreds of black and white squares.

Anybody ever see this kind of problem ?

( BTW , i already tried clean install with new Amd tool , then re-install , still got the problem )

18. shinji257

shinji257 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep... Have the same issue here. Reverted to 12.11 Beta 11 where the issue isn't so persistent.

Odd bit I noticed though. This only happens when the app is maximized. It doesn't happen when the app is in a window. It is especially reproducible on facebook.com on the sidebar (when you have it showing).

P.S. - I already posted about it here --> http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-catalyst-13-1-whql-driver-5.html#post9044054 (Same thread)

19. Stormsight

Stormsight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  20. M17XR42012

M17XR42012 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So that is 1 for the update and 1 against it. I guess I will hold off for now unless more people have tested it.