1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

New AMD Catalyst 13.1 WHQL DRIVER

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by B4n6k3, Jan 18, 2013.

1. B4n6k3

B4n6k3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, let's see if we have an improvement. :D

Notebook GPU :

Catalyst 13.1 AMD driver Win 7/8 64 bit Notebook GPU

http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/amd_catalyst_13_1_whql_download,3.html

Catalyst 13.1 AMD driver Win 7/8 32 bit Notebook GPU

http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/amd_catalyst_13_1_whql_download,4.html

Compatible Operating Systems

The latest version of the AMD Catalyst software suite is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

Windows 8 32-bit version
    Windows 8 64-bit version
    Windows 7 32-bit version SP1 or higher
    Windows 7 64-bit version SP1 or higher
    Windows Vista 32-bit version SP2 or higher
    Windows Vista 64-bit version SP2 or higher

FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE AMD CATALYST 13.1:

AMD Catalyst Control Center: New 3D settings and profile management user interface:

AMD Catalyst 13.1 features a newly designed 3D application settings page, designed to allow users to more easily adjust and control their 3D settings on a per application basis.

Performance Highlights of AMD Catalyst 13.1 (vs. AMD Catalyst 12.10): Includes all of the performance improvements found in AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11

Performance gains seen on the entire AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series:
    All game were tested at high / extreme / ultra levels
    Enhanced performance in Far Cry 3 (up to 25% with 8xMSAA, SSAO enabled @ 1600p, and up to 15% with 8xMSAA, HDAO enabled @1600p) (AMD Catalyst 12.11 CAP2 must also be installed)
    Enhanced AMD CrossFire™ scaling performance in Call of Duty Black Ops 2
    Up to 10%-15% more performance in Battlefield 3 in most cases
    • More than 20% in certain missions and sequences (Comrades)
    Up to 7% more performance in Metro 2033
    Up to 10% more performance in DiRT Showdown
    Up to 8% more performance in Sleeping Dogs
    Up to 12% more performance in Civilization V
    Up to 10% more performance in StarCraft II
    Up to 8% more performance in Sniper Elite: V2
    Up to 5% more performance in Max Payne 3
    AMD Catalyst Mobility 7970M performance for AMD Enduro™ technology supported platforms has been improved for DirectX® 9, DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications:
    3DMark® 06 – Up to 6%
    3DMark Vantage – Up to 15%
    3DMark 11 – Up to 12%
    AvP – Up to 11%
    Battlefield 3 – Up to 25%
    Call of Duty: Black Ops – Up to 13%
    Crysis 2: Up to 45%
    DiRT Showdown – Up to 62%
    ETQW – Up to 8%
    Hard Reset – Up to 8%
    Just Cause 2 – Up to 90%
    Mafia 2 – Up to 40%
    The Chronicles of Riddick – Up to 4%
    Shogun 2 – Up to 56%
    StarCraft 2 – Up to 25%
    Skyrim – Up to 45%
    Sniper Elite V2 – Up to 60%
    Tom Clancy’s HAWX – Up to 56%
    Unigine Heaven – Up to 33%
    Wolfenstein – Up to 9%

Resolved Issues for the Windows 8 / Windows 7 Operating Systems:

This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 13.1 software suite.

A sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.
    An intermittent hang encountered with AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs in an AMD CrossFire + Eyefinity setup.
    Missing fonts in XBMC
    No video found in Media Player Classic Home Cinema when using full or half floating point processing
    Skyrim lighting (missing a lighting pass) for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
    Skyrim cloud corruption experience in various in game locations
    A hang playing Dishonored on the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Engine and memory clocks running too high when the GPU is idle.
    GPU activity runs at lower values than expected seen on the AMD Radeon HD 7870.
    Corruption seen in Darkness 2 and Carrier Command when using AMD CrossFire configurations
    Adobe Premier Pro CS6 may fail to launch
    Hang experienced with AMD Crossfire and Eyefinity enabled on X58 and X78 chipsets
    Corel PaintShop Pro X3 – Hangs at the “Initializing Command Manager” window
    Company of Heroes 2 – display corruption experienced when AA is enabled in the AMD Catalyst Control Center
    Cyberlink Powerdirector 10 crashes intermittently.
    Company of Heroes : Tales of Valor – Flickering experienced when AA is disabled
    Max Payne 3 – Flickering experienced in DirectX 9 mode with forced AA enabled
    Cyberlink PoweDVD 10 – crashes intermittently
    VLC – Green texture corruption seen in 720p MPEG2 video clips
    Black screen encountered when “Alternate DVI mode” is enabled in the AMD Catalyst Control Center
    Green display corruption seen in Skype webcam video

Known Issues

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced with the AMD Catalyst 13.1 software suite.

Known issues under the Windows 8 Operating System.

Sleeping Dogs – game may fail to launch in certain configurations

Known issues under the Windows 7 Operating System.

Shogun 2 – Total War : flickering experienced when game is run in medium quality mode

Anyone can help me looking for the direct link ? since the link above only sent you into downloading the Driver Verification Tool which some of your system including mine have incompatible driver issue or something. Let me know and I should update it into page 1.

Edit : Updated into Direct Download Link (Source Guru 3D)

2. senshin

senshin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Downloading them right now!!
    Very curious if i win some fps!

EDIT: site of AMD os so flow, downloading goes with like 15kb a sec :(

Sjoerd

3. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    I'm gonna grab my install file from here. Gonna wait and mess with it tomorrow though. Off to sleep for me!! :D

Edit: It appears it's the Desktop GPU driver. Nevermind :(

4. senshin

Reputations:
    huh, I downloaded it and i get the 12.10 drivers :/

5. senshin

Reputations:

thx for the link :)

bah, something goes wrong, i pull of a restart, maybe i can install it then :/

6. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
  7. senshin

Reputations:
    I have some kind of error, it install's the drivers, and once completed it says there is a error and i cannot open the log file....
    How can i locate this log file after installation?

I already uniinstalled the drivers and did reinstall with the same thing, i have windows 8, maybe that's the problem?

sjoerd

EDIT: i ran a 3dmark11 and my score went up with 100 points (from 12.11 beta11)

From 7300low to 7425points right now

my 7970m is running @ 980mhz 1450mhz @ 1.075volt

8. tommyvlaming

tommyvlaming Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so whats the correct way to install these when you have the 12.11 beta drivers ?

1) just install these over the normal drivers and reboot ?
    2) remove old drivers in device manager - reboot - install new drivers - reboot
    3) ...

9. senshin

Reputations:
    I think you dont have to delete old drivers, but i did it anyway.
    It costs just one reboot.

10. Pistino01

Pistino01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, WTH is this? During inatall everything went fine, showed installation complete without errors (though it installed very quickly and showed only three components to be installed: CIM, AMD APP SDK Runtime, HDMI which sums up to only 100mb... and no display driver, no catalyst control center (where are the important parts??!!). After install it didn't even prompt me to restart, but i did anyways... and in device manager it still shows that i have Intel HD graphics 4000 ... And yes, I clean installed them. Thease are either corrupted or bull... don't install, This is some kind of a bad joke. Going back to 12.11 Beta11 ...

11. senshin

Reputations:
    strange, what happens if you turn off the HD4000?
    I have turned it off and had some kind of error, don't know where to find the log, but the drivers and everything is installed, see above post and it's working.
    also in my case without restart but still it's installed, can confirm it also.
    And performance is a little bit better

12. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Installed no problem on my M17XR4 , process seemed to take the same amount of time as any of the previous drivers. WoW seems to have gained a few more FPS in Pandaland on ultra settings and it is buttery smooth so that's good. Will try SC2 and LoL later on. Apparently these drivers fix the screen flash glitch wth LoL's latest patch.

13. tommyvlaming

tommyvlaming Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    for those coming from 12.11 beta and gained perfomance :

what have you done exactly to install these drivers ?
    uninstall the old ones and reboot (with driversweeper ?), then install these ?

14. M17XR42012

M17XR42012 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  15. Pistino01

Pistino01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How the hell could you have installed these when there is obviously no graphics driver included? Your performance gains are most likely a placebo effect since there is no driver... I installed these using the clean install method (driver sweeper) and it didn't install anything. These don't work... if you are installing over old drivers or uninstalled without sweeping, you are just using old drivers... And if there is a driver included,I suspect it's only for desktop cards and not compatible with mobile cards, so it won't install.

16. sangemaru

sangemaru Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  17. Pistino01

Pistino01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In short, NO. The long version: During install everything went fine, showed installation complete without errors (though it installed very quickly and showed only three components to be installed: CIM, AMD APP SDK Runtime, HDMI which sums up to only 100mb... and no display driver, no catalyst control center (where are the important parts??!!). After install it didn't even prompt me to restart, but i did anyways... and in device manager it still shows that i have Intel HD graphics 4000 ... And yes, I clean installed them (driver sweeper). Thease are either corrupted or bull... don't install. I suspect that these are just for desktop cards.

18. Omen123

Omen123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Boy am I glad that I read the comments first!! :p

I get graphics issues on 12.11 - any version which half's the fps after the laptop has been on for more than a few hours.

I'm still using 12.10

19. vsg28

vsg28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am fairly certain I got the 13.1 working but is there a way to confirm I am on this and not the 12.11 beta?

20. B4n6k3

B4n6k3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I already try it. Just Install it on top of my previous 12.11 + caps 2. Installing process went smooth except 1 errors for HDMI Input driver (if you see the error log). Brightness control still not work on discrete graphic, No problem at Switchable graphic, No driver crash with Windows 8 Whatsoever. And it really fix the Dishonored games, no crash to desktop or stop working bug like it happen when I still used 12.11. I will try with some of other games too.

[​IMG]

Yea, that's windows 8 alright. You can go to control panel - Program -default program -Make a file type always open in spesific program. Just looking for .xml extension there and set your default program into whatever you want. I choose XML editor though, and I can see the log report after that.

You can check at software info at CCC (bottom tab) and see if yours is like in my post above.