New Alienware m15 - 2018 with 8th Gen Intel core i7

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Dr. AMK, Oct 4, 2018.

?

Do you like the new m15 model?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2019.
  1. Yes

49.1%
  2. No

40.4%
  3. Not sure

10.5%
  1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The reason why over 80c now is okay because of the change in chip production. They dont degrade and burn up like the older chips used to do. Also different solder. Solder was a bit issue after the EU forced lead free solder and the chips where designed for it yet. That doesnt mean all components ofcourse are allowed to get that hot.

The AW17R2 became hot after a while because of the motherboard VRM's and the location (at least on my models) even though the CPU was around 80c which I do think is perfectly fine, the system was heating up at the spots where the DC-in cable was located and the whole powercircuitry around it.

2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Oh of course. I have a 2013 15" Macbook Pro that hits 99C all the time even with a IC Diamond repaste. I use my M18xR2 for most of my stuff. I personally don't like above 70C.

I made sure my P870DM3 ran everything in the low 70s with 7700K @ 5.0Ghz and 2x 1080s. Took a lot of work. Today's laptops run too hot. I just find it funny the industry is all okay with 90C temps.

I don't agree with this. I don't think newer chips are better. I think everyone just raised the bar to what's acceptable. I've hit 105C on accident on my 3840QM and it just thermal shut down. Still runs 3.9Ghz on all cores fine.

I've had a C2Q chip hit 110C for a few seconds once..still ran fine after LOL

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its not a factor of what you think its acceptable. It was a factor that the flipchip designs of 5 to 10 years ago had issues with the solder and thus chip dying from hto temps. That doesnt happen now anymore unless it goes over 100c. The 8800GTX chip whoes are a perfect example of this. The solder would crack from the repeated thermal cycles after they switched to lead fee solder. The chip design did not incorporate fix for this yet such as underfills, margins for thermal expansion, chip internals shifting due to heat etc. This killed the chips. Now they did fix this and now it isnt nearly as big of an issue anymore. Did you come across an actual CPU dying? I to be honest never saw a CPU dying the past 5 years? They do run hotter than ever simply because the smaller die size is harder to cool. Current CPU's are a quarter of the size of what the Sandy Bridge generation was for example.YOu do see PCH's controllers die from time to time because they are made on older production nodes.

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I don't see CPUs die, never. I do see many supporting components die, that heat generated moves by convection and starts destroying other things that are not as stout at the CPU. ROHS has not been a problem for nvidia since 7000 series, and not for AMD since 6000 series.

ssj92 likes this.
  5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 8800GTX was notorious for solder issues....

But yeah you are right like I also stated not all components can survive the heat. But in general manufacturers do tend to think about this nowadays luckily.

6. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haha! Thanks for the replies guys! I guess theres no right or wrong answer here then. Razer if you want smaller and better build quality. But you have to be wary of a rubbish warranty and likely breaks. Whereas Alienware if you want the bigger battery, and a better warranty support.

Hoping to buy on black friday so I've got a week to decide! And at this point i could pretty much flip a coin!

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I wouldnt say the razer has a better build.... They use fairly soft aluminum.

8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This’s true, Blade 15 has super thin bottom cover lid which I think I can bend it easily unlike stealth late 2016 that i have, its speaker also worse than that smaller size ultrabook, i believe they reduce those aspects to gain lighter and smaller body, especially since there’s a huge new vapor chamber there, Base model Blade 15 without it weight less even though it’s thicker.

9. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wonder if thats the piece they held up on the Alienware m15 ama? They were waving a bottom plate around saying how flimsy aluminium is and that's why they were using magbesmag alloy.

10. N123

N123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No Black Friday deals on this model? Anyone see anything? Thanks, N123