New Alienware m15 - 2018 with 8th Gen Intel core i7

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by AHMED KARAM, Oct 4, 2018.

?

Do you like the new m15 model?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2019.
  1. Yes

49.1%
  2. No

40.4%
  3. Not sure

10.5%
  1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For screen they are limited what manufacturers offers them. There are no 15inch oled panels and HDR panels available.

The chassis looks very good though, the magnesium top and bottom. Kinda wanna try it out as a second laptop because of that.

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Lenovo X1 Extreme has a 15" HDR Dolby Vision panel.

Also, saying a panel isn't "available" isn't much of an excuse for a company as big as Dell/Alienware. They are supposed to be making technologies available by innovating (or moving forward) and investing in having these things developed and made.

A 13" OLED panel was not available until Dell paid for one to be developed for example.

I feel now Dellienware is simply following the pack instead of offering anything new with their last few refreshes of hardware.

ssj92 and c69k like this.
  3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The Oled 13inch panel was made for tablets and Dell picked one up.....Thats also the main reason why it was only available in the AW13. It was made for Samsung tablets originally.

The costs/benefits are not there for a compute rmanufacturer for getting into the screen business with. Its extremely expensive.

The Lenovo doesnt offer true HDR, it doesnt have the screen brightness for it which sucks. You kinda need a screen that can go all the way near to 1000nits to create that contrast between bright and dark scenes. With a screen in the Lenovo it pretty much only has a wider color gamut.

ThatOldGuy and c69k like this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Samsung Galaxy Book came/comes in 10" and 12" variants. Was there another 13" tablet available? I am almost positive there wasn't... also the 14" OLED Lenovo was a one off too.

The OLED HP Spectre never made it to the market as far as I am aware.

I could be wrong

5. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, not much love for the m15 here!

I'm looking for a new thin and light gaming\content creation laptop now. I narrowed it down to the blade 15 with 144hz screen and 1070 max q or the m15. You can get the same set up with the m15 but for £150 cheaper than the blade.

Main difference is the blade is much smaller (like 4cm height, almost 1cm wide and 4mm thinner!) for travelling, and I'd have to replace the SSD with a 1tb stick. But the m15 has 2 m.2 slots, and an ethernet socket!

I know classic alienwarA fans are annoyed they've brought out a thin and light model. But if you remove that passion would you still get an Alienware over a razer?

6. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally I can't see why anyone would choose an m15 over the razer unless Money is an issue,or you want a full keyboard with numpad, or you need a few extra hours of battery life (which is nice)
    But I have an m15 coming and I have a blade 15 but I have the spare cash and I like to play with new systems, I get bored and my 17% off coupon with the extra discounts they had made it an easy order to cure my boredom for a few weeks lol.
    and who knows I may fall in love with the m15 and toss my blade over to a family member or employee in need of a system? But I really doubt that will happen as I love my blade, its solid and sure it had heat issues but after tweaking and repad, repaste, It runs below 90cpu and in the lower 70's gpu and that's overclocked 220/600 on GPU. If I can get the M15 to perform better than that than I will keep it.

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    2 reasons, Razer laptops are notoriously unreliable. Granted any brand out their has their lemons. But Razer laptops had design flaws which werent fixable for even the most experience tinkerers out there. VGA bioses that got too hot because they where located under the heatsink etc, hell even jumper wires soldered on a motherboard to rectify board issues and they didnt want to throw away fauly boards.

Last but not least, their worst in industry support, 1 year warranty etc. Again horror stories surround any brand. But Razer is a step more in the wrong direction.

Granted I like how the Razer Blade looks, it still runs hot and its not known yet if they finally really fixed all their previous issues.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Maybe it will change with the coming m17 ?:D

Vasudev and Darkhan like this.
  9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    LOL never would have thought below 90C was actually a good thing.

I remember when we used to say below 70C years ago.

Papusan and Darkhan like this.
  10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    It's not a good thing...target is always below 80 to be safe, below 70 to be optimal. 80+ is insane and anybody telling you differently is kidding themselves. I would not use a laptop that routinely hits 80s-90s or tjunction. I did that with Alienware 17 R2, I nearly burned myself more than once from how HOT that thing ran. Entire laptop industry is moving in the wrong direction on several fronts.

Razer has its share of problems. End user support is junk, warranty claims are a hassle, machines throttle out of the box and run way too hot. But they are probably the best BGA book for enthusiasts, mainly because Razer is so kind as to not sign their BIOS files, makes it very, very easy to mod. Heatsinks (for RBP, and for new RB 15) are excellent fit and finish, paired with liquid metal and an undervolt, can achieve below 80C full load. The build quality of the case, blows anything Alienware can offer out of the water. Solid CNC milled aluminum has no replacement, especially not with el-cheapo glossy swiss-cheese-hole plastic.All they need to do is up their nearly non-existent quality control.

Darkhan and ssj92 like this.