New Alienware m15 - 2018 with 8th Gen Intel core i7

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by AHMED KARAM, Oct 4, 2018.

?

Do you like the new m15 model?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2019.
  1. Yes

49.1%
  2. No

40.4%
  3. Not sure

10.5%
  1. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Those shiny bezels are absolutely stupid looking.
    I really hope AW does something about them when they eventually update them with the 2xxx series cards.
    Those 2 reasons are holding me back from ordering, I just can’t picture myself ordering without a next gen GPU now matter how impressive the 1xxx series has been. I already have a pretty good GTX 1070 laptop so I’m in no rush.

alberty, ThatOldGuy and Darkhan like this.
  2. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. Corpse14

Corpse14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I emailed dbrand about the AW m15 and they said they might do skins for it so it'll be easy to hide them hopefully.

4. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes I did also and they replied they have not had enough request at this time, so I suggest anyone buying to email them and ask for them to add support for m15.

5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Problems as I see them:

They Half committed to the slim bezel thing. I mean go all out and reduce the top and bottom as well (just narrow enough for webcam is fine). Max out at a full power GTX 1060 if you need to. This would have further reduced profile and weight. As of now it looks like a cheap knockoff of a premium product.

Still no vapor chambers on Alienware. Only thing that sets it apart from competition is the AGA port in the back.

They should have gone HDR or something special for the Panel if this is replacing AW 13 (given that they say OLED is not available)

From videos, it looks like the keyboard is a big downgrade... Also why the heck did they feel the need for numpad when that space could be used for better keys.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    c69k, Terreos, luke1333 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Well said 100% could not agree more!

7. luke1333

luke1333 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Man you make some solid points! Could you imagine it with vapor chamber and an oled panel oh man that would be sweet!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

c69k likes this.
  8. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You make some great points and for me in particular the keyboard! I would have much preferred a decent keyboard centered with a centered trackpad and then a pair of decent up firing speakers rather than the anemic looking speakers they crammed in the bottom.

I know it is a gaming machine but I am waiting for someone to make a great all round package that I can game on, work on and play media on. Sick of running a gaming notebook and a MacBook for work/media

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Look at razer blade, same form factor, high powered, can get with vapor chamber + gtx 1070 but it is pricey

ninja2000 likes this.
  10. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the Alienware m15 doesnt work out I will probably try it next. Still using my blade pro with raidriar modified bios which is serving me well ;) but I would love to shave some size and weight from it