New Alienware m15 - 2018 with 8th Gen Intel core i7

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Dr. AMK, Oct 4, 2018.

?

Do you like the new m15 model?

This poll will close on Apr 4, 2019 at 4:04 AM.
  1. Yes

48.2%
  2. No

41.1%
  3. Not sure

10.7%
  1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thermal or power limit? Power limit throttling is known on Blade 15 and I think from ownordisown later video about m15, it use similar tdp lock setting (on Blade 15 it’s on balanced mode, idk on m15) that lock tdp to around 25 watt to keep cpu temperatures lower, but I think it’s on 8750H only, on my previous 7700HQ I didn’t see one, it’s shows also on cpu load in lower temperatures like 70ish or lower, noticed sometimes when I check xtu.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't know. He had AW 15 r1 and r2

VICKYGAMEBOY likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Dell engineers never fixed the flaws. As long 100% wasn't affected by the issue they just gave you the middle finger!
    [​IMG]
    From @Lord Zog

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    jclausius, Ashtrix and Vasudev like this.
  4. VICKYGAMEBOY

VICKYGAMEBOY Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i still have them, with bunch of old 14 and 11x as well, ive gone too far, it now history, future is forsaken.. dell XPS team helps design alienware model.. so no thanks.. i rather buy a custom built laptop and take care of it myself..

jclausius, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I already left gaming on a laptop on newer tech hardwares. I will be getting a desktop and a BGA like Walmart's notebook for 600$ and 2yr US warranty. No AW,Asus,MSI or even Razer blade.

jclausius and VICKYGAMEBOY like this.
  6. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
    cannot believe how expensive laptops have become these days for the junk performance, while on mobile side they are improving in a different way.. i saw a walmart gaming laptop beat a alienware m15 in scores for almost 75% of the price.. rofl.. even im gonna build a new desktop, after i join new job lol..

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    And same 6 core i7-8750H perform better in the cheaper and slimmer Dell XPS models than in the more expencive and bigger Alienware 17R5.

Vasudev, Falkentyne and jclausius like this.
  8. VICKYGAMEBOY

Reputations:
  9. ericpode

ericpode Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought the m15 and I'm already having doubts. Can anyone help?

I sometimes spend long periods off-grid, and use one of those readily available DC-DC converters to power my past (mostly Asus) laptops from a 12 volts DC supply. It's always worked great, once you find a converter with a plug/tip that matches the DC plug that connects to the laptop's power socket. (Usually DC-DC converters come with a selection of tips to match the plugs of a variety of laptop manufacturers.)

So I'm now looking for a similar solution for my new m15, but there are a couple of snags:

1. The included m15 AC power supply is rated at 9.23 amps DC output which is quite a bit more than my past laptops, and more than the max output current of all of the DC-DC converters I can find. I don't think this will be a problem as I will probably just be using it to charge the m15 or using it for very light work, so I guess the current draw will be fairly low.

2. Does anyone know if the m15 DC power plug/tip is a standard Dell type? It is quite a bit bigger than my existing laptops, so I'm worried that it might be a new plug specifically for the m15 that I will not be able to find a match for in any DC-DC converter.

3. I've found mention that some/all Dell laptops have some sort of digital interface in their AC power supplies, so the laptop will refuse to work with non-Dell power supplies. This would obviously prevent me from using a DC-DC converter, Does anyone know if the m15 has this abomination, or should I be OK to use a "generic" power supply with it ?

Thanks for any helpful comments.

10. kdskamal

kdskamal Notebook Guru

Reputations: