NEW!! Alienware Area-51M LAPTOP!! (to replace alienware 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by QUICKSORT, Jan 7, 2019.

1. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i have the AGA with a gtx 1080ti at 2100mhz on core :D and a FHD 240hz display. that is my idead, and i always play as a desktop
    because i come home and only have to plug the AGA port, all the other things like keyboard, mouse, speakers, heatset, rgb mousepad, everything is connected on my display

2. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    sanding the surface can fix that, to make it perfectly flat

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, since you already have that it makes a lot of sense to use it and save the money on buying a better internal GPU for something else. If you get the one with a 9900K and it doesn't throttle too much the eGPU and your 1080 Ti will probably run better than it ever has before.

But, an even better idea is to just keep the laptop you have now and use it when you need to as a laptop and nothing more and spend your money on something like this instead of the new Alienware. You can sell the eGPU (without the GPU) to offset part of the cost. You've already got the GPU and peripherals. All you need is a the rest of the desktop parts and you can do that way cheaper than the Area 51M. You'll never look back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:25 PM
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    With CPU TDP hard-locked at 136W under solo load and turned down 120W when GPU is loaded; even a silicon lottery i9 won't reach 5.1 GHZ. Its just not about the heat or cooling capacity if the firmware is locked.

Don't get me wrong, this system is a huge improvement over the 17 R5 or m17, and pretty much any other 17. Just I think you might be disappointed with the i9.

HID should keep you informed on their development of this though. I would hope they would let you know before shipping if that CPU can actually perform as advertised in the system.

Hopefully they change the firmware between now and launch if they are reading these forums. @Mr. Fox It also doesn't make any sense to provide 2 PSUs if, under load, the system can only reach 300W anyways (120W CPU + 180W GPU). 330W psu would been fine.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:43 PM
    Aroc, Vistar Shook, raz8020 and 4 others like this.
  5. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, I'll say this... Do they exist. Yes they do.
    It is a nice looking machine and they actually started going "back" in the right direction...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My new programmer...
    [​IMG]

TBoneSan, steberg, Aroc and 11 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, I don't know. Not sure why they did it. Maybe because @Mr. Fox and @Johnksss showed them 5 or 6 years ago that two were needed and why, and they just don't know enough to understand that this one does not. Or, maybe they designed something in a way that it does that could have been designed differently so that it did not. They may have done it just because they thought it would impress people and elicit more ooohs and aaahhs. It is especially strange in light of what could end up being some pretty serious performance gimping (if they don't correct it).

One thing is for sure. If they would have asked for help from @Mr. Fox and @Johnksss before going public with it, we could have helped things turn out better in multiple ways, including the publicity. A good business reason to not do that could be due to the fact that it is definitely gimped and we would have given them a ton of grief over that (déjà vu).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:57 PM
  7. judal57

judal57 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox you are right, i am going to wait and see the ryzen 3700X, i have big expectations about it. i also want an open bench like yours. at the moment i dont need liquid cooling for the 1080ti, is runing at 53°C in the worst case. BUT my next CPU will definetly have a TOP liquid cooling. I am a PRO FPS gamer, and i am constantly concerned about FPS lol, my weak cpu cant give me all the performance i want. That and plus that PUBG is bad optimized

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Here is a new avatar for you. You can use it after you get it and find out that it doesn't. :vbwink:

KillerSystem(Small)b.jpg

9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Now with all this TDP limit talk I am starting to have my doubts. Once HIDevolution receive it I will ask them to show me how it runs before they ship it.

Vistar Shook, c69k, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nobody said there will be a Prema BIOS for AW. I merely stated that even Prema BIOS doesn't fix all the bugs and glitches Clevo has. My system is no exception.

Don't worry, while it's true that the TDP limit may (very likely) throttle the machine, I'm pretty sure AW will up it with a BIOS over time, same as they did with the GTX 1080. I am really happy that you decided to go with the notebook, that way we have someone we know we can trust reviewing the machine =D

c69k, Johnksss, iunlock and 2 others like this.