NEW!! Alienware Area-51M LAPTOP!! (to replace alienware 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by QUICKSORT, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    thats actually really the problem. even with prema bios, you might not be able to fix this dell machine and it'll throttle no matter what. with clevo, so far it is fixable in terms of performance just because it has somewhat bigger heatsink and thicker of a laptop, and thats fact.

2. faiz23

faiz23 Macbook FTW

Reputations:
    Bring back the RGB screen from M17x R2 or stuff an OLED in this BEAST. I'll pick one up from the outlet about half way in after reviews and minor updates have been made.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    There will be no @Prema BIOS for this product. There will be no mod BIOS from anyone unless they stopped using BootGuard on this system. There is a hardware lock on the firmware and the only way to circumvent it would be to replace the PCH chip with one that does not have that lock. You can't even sledgehammer it with an SPI programmer if they are still employing that cancer on this new product. This is the biggest issue and will likely have no remedy. The thermals are probably nothing a portable AC unit cannot address for overclocked benching. If I were still into laptops, I would not care all that much because I could still do what I wanted to do with overclocking using the portable AC unit. All anyone can do is hope and pray they didn't use this firmware castration filth on it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    TBoneSan, ole!!!, Ashtrix and 8 others like this.
  4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Do you remember if AW17/AW18 also had this exact thing? I forgot but I think it was this and someone unlocked the bios thanks to a bug in the BIOS.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I'm both happy and sad about the new Alienware. Happy that they finally demonstrated an effort to do something right. Happy that it may cause Clevo and MSI to step up their game. Happy that it has potential to inflict severe damage and mark the beginning of the degradation of the BGA turdbook gaming notebook market. Extremely sad that they either lack the knowledge or desire to make it run right. That part is very sad, because had they done so it would have taken them back to the lead spot and shaken the gaming notebook industry even more so.

I am really scared for Brother @Ultra Male. He is a good friend and he spent a lot of money on a huge risk. (We cannot call any computer an investment.) I sincerely hope it works better for his sake than I expect it to based on what little is known about it now. I am not encouraged about what kind of results it seems we can expect at this time. Maybe the keyboard will be enough to make him happy. Not sure the audio quality will live up to his expectations.

The Ranger and Viking used a less intrusive form of firmware protection called Secure Flash. That was with Insyde BIOS, not AMI/Aptio. You could sledgehammer the BIOS mod with an SPI programmer or remove the chip for flashing and solder it back. Brother @slv7 was successful in doing so, but they did not use the PCH/BootGuard mega-gimp cancer.

Ashtrix, Papusan, Aroc and 7 others like this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    With a Silicon Lottery CPU rated @ 5.1 GHz along with HIDevolution's cooling mods, I am positive that it should work.

IXVIXXII likes this.
  7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    That must have been introduced with the BGA models then. I know Prema had a vBIOS/BIOS mod for the AW 17 R2/AW15 R1 980M/970M so maybe they introduced it after that.

Since this is a desktop chipset (Z series at that) let's see if they continue to prevent firmware mods. Although idk anyone that's ordered that has a programmer/willing to test.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You haven't been paying attention to my posts. The TDP is too low to support an 8700K. It's going to be a throttling mess trying to run the 9900K with default multipliers. If you want to run the 9900K stock with no throttling, it needs about 160W to avoid power limit throttling. HIDevolution magic is amazing, but it is not strong enough to cure the hard-coded cancer. For your sake, and because I really care about you, I hope I am wrong.

We are talking about system BIOS, not vBIOS. Totally different firmware. The system BIOS is what will gimp the CPU and not be fixable unless they leave this one unlocked for end-user enhancement.

Vasudev, Ashtrix, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Wasn't the vBIOS inside the BIOS though for those models (the BGA ones Prema made a firmware for)? Or it doesn't matter?

I know on the new model they're separate since the GPU is actually a GPU lol. Should be able to use a programmer for the GPU.

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Don't know and don't care. It matters if they are still doing that.

As for the GPU, it's new and proprietary. I would assume it can be modded with an SPI programmer, but I am just guessing. Getting more performance from the GPU should be the least of anyone's concern with this product. The bigger fish to be fried will be having the CPU run correctly.

Even so, RTX vBIOS modding is very different. Totally different architecture. Have spent quite a bit of time with @Prema trying to figure it out on 2080 Ti and it's crazy how many calories have been burned on interfering with 20-series firmware mods. It's a bigger pain in the ass that anything I can remember from the past. They've gone Über-Nazi on the controls.
    [​IMG]

What we need to have happen is, round up all of the heads of engineering and product development from every company that produces computer hardware, give each of them a complimentary lobotomy with dirty gardening tools and shoot all of the firmware engineers. Then, we replace all of them with the anti-Nazi type. The current brain trust truly sucks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    TBoneSan, Vasudev, Ashtrix and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.