NEW!! Alienware Area-51M LAPTOP!! (to replace alienware 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by QUICKSORT, Jan 7, 2019.

1. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 5.1GHz

Reputations:
    Yes indeed. Samsung chose to take the time in order to build new manufacturing plants for the newer nm process, while converting their existing facilities to also support the newer nm process production. It was strategy for them, which will yield huge production capacity in the very near future. In regard to the release of the Ryzen 3, I agree... it would not have been possible right now due to the circumstances. But good things come to those who wait eh? :)

I also had boots on the ground at CES and to confirm, that demo unit was taken apart and put back together a million times so I'm not surprised that the temps were in the red due to the sloppy disassembly, reassembly and likely the lack of ability to properly repaste it at the show. For all we know, the temps may be in the red even on a final production unit out of the box, which in reality is to be expected. Nothing new... Especially with what it is packing in a small form factor.

We won't know for sure what the system is capable of until a proper repaste, repad and some mods are done to the system. Only then can we know for sure what it can and can not do. All my Clevo's were in the red too out of the box. It could not handle until the obvious things were addressed, therefore, we should not expect anything different with this new modular laptop packing the latest hardware.

alaskajoel, Aroc, judal57 and 5 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I remember when Alienware was the only high performance notebook manufacturer that paid close attention to thermals and did everything they could to mitigate thermal issues, but I do not believe any of them do well with this any more. Like most things in life, if you want something done right, you absolutely have to do it yourself or pay someone else to do it that cares how it turns out and has the knowledge it takes to do things right. The biggest problem with notebooks is the cancer firmware and the downright diabolical nonsense they do to block people with the know-how from fixing their botched up messes. And, that will be the most telling of what this new Alienware is capable of, not the thermals. One could use a portable air conditioner to cool it for severe overclocked benching (as some of us have for many years) but if the firmware is botched and a mod cannot be applied, nothing good will ever happen. That applies to any and all notebooks, because NONE of the notebook OEMs are righteous... no, not one. Firmware is what makes or utterly ruins otherwise admirable products. Gimped firmware is a hopeless cause and a problem without any remedy. The applies equally to GPUs.

Ashtrix, Aroc, Vistar Shook and 7 others like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Doesn’t help much if cooling is as today. Awful cheap cooling design due chassis being created as Applebooks force the notebook manufacturers to develop firmware with all sorts of limitations. Nothing will be changed before the cooling is good enough and in place. And the trend has gone opposite way! No point in purchase nice looking gloves if you lack hands!

ahmadmud, Ashtrix, ole!!! and 5 others like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Unless they are nice latex gloves and then you can use them as balloons to entertain the children. :)

ole!!!, Darkhan, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  5. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 5.1GHz

Reputations:
    Well said and you do make a good point. Simply put, the limitations exist due to all the many reasons we are well aware of. The majority of the companies don't care about extreme enthusiasts like guys like us, because we are the minority. (There are exceptions of course, but in terms of the latest Area 51M, we have yet to see... which is why I am reserving judgement until I can fully test one myself with all the proper measures that I do to get the system to run at its peak.)

The issues regarding firmware are all by design, ignorance, lack of knowledge, laziness, sloppiness or are left at the mercy of someone else providing it, which causes other issues of its own. It is a hot mess and it has been for most companies; not just AW/Dell. The thing with AW/Dell is that at least they've been actively involved in making changes to it from user input to some degree, while other ODM's remain silent.

However, any company that releases a product geared toward true enthusiasts and advertises it as having no compromise needs to live up to their word. For extreme overclockers, this is where Clevo is a better choice for purely the hardware, less the premium price AND because of the luxury of what Prema provides. Only because of Prema, Clevo got lucky with slipping by with having the right combo of hardware + software, otherwise it'd be in the same exact boat as all other laptops that suffer from software limitations.

I'm sure you're aware, but for those who are reading, you have to also realize that most of the consumer base are regular gamers. Also, most of those people at the companies are just regular gamers (at best) as they are not extreme over-clockers or remotely close to someone who you'd call an enthusiast. This is why the things we gripe about (things that limit the system) are not the top priority for the lads at the companies. They are after profit and the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to get it to please the share holders... it's business... nothing new.

On the bright side, we have sparks like the Area 51M that brings back hope for the enthusiasts. This system is not meant to be a benching beater, rather it is one to provide the end user a quality built system where they can have an enjoyable gaming/work experience. The Area 51M will surely provide that.

Just because it can't do Mach 1000, doesn't mean that it is a bad system. Also, when comparing these dtr systems, the category is very small so aside to Clevo, AW is really paving the way among the mainstream brands that everyone knows about and uses.

I do think that we have a unique situation here in that AW is being pretty transparent about everything so far and from what I can see, if there ever was a sliver of chance of our voices being heard regarding our wants for the Area 51M, I think we are closer than ever from getting our wishes answered. The release of the Area 51M alone is a good start... perhaps it wouldn't hurt to give it the benefit of the doubt to have some hope in them fixing what may need to be fixed.

We shall see...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    alaskajoel, Aroc, VoodooChild and 7 others like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    We'll see benchmark and thermal results once its dispatched by HID to a person who lives in dubai and hopefully AW drivers and firmware list will be updated frequently!

Vistar Shook and iunlock like this.
  7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    And I'll asume there is no picture or video about it.

As far as consumer goes, it doesn't exist yet.

Imagine if the clevo fanboys would stop putting their notebook with ridiculous mods against stock notebooks and calling stock notebooks trash because they are little slower but offer way more overall package.

Also Prema mod doesn't fix lots of things. I have an old P375SM-A, it's still bugged, even with Premamod.

hmoodie, iunlock, senso and 1 other person like this.
  8. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Where is this $200 coupon code you speak of?

9. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There ya go.;)

Attached Files:

clayton006 likes this.
  10. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you good sir!