NEW!! Alienware Area-51M LAPTOP!! (to replace alienware 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by QUICKSORT, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    It is easy to miss the MASSIVE heat sinks of the past (they certainly worked) - however those machines were literally 12-15 lbs on their own. It is easy to shrug that off, but also freaking heavy lol (and the weight is really a non issue to me personally). I remember when I got my M18x how shocked I was at its density and how solid it was - and I was coming off of an M17x r1 so not new to large laptops with a thick metal body.

Of all the laptops I have had, ever, the M17x was still my favorite (despite that TERRIBLE nvidia chipset). The M18x would have taken that spot with ease if a) it had better than a 1080p screen and b) you did not have to remove the freaking screen to repaste the CPU. The screen hinge mounting plates literally screwed over the heat sink for the CPU and GPU, atrocious design.

Mr. Fox and Cass-Olé like this.
  2. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interview w/Azor. Aside from his Freudian Slip about being a cheap salesman & being off by $600 on the starting price ('starts at $1949!'), listen in @12min, when you go to upgrade 'we ask that you consider buying the CPU from us, due to our specific thermal paste that will void your warranty if you do not use it'. The fact he'd be so open, honest & transparent about the latest offering says a lot re: the fastest way to void your warranty is to do your own CPU upgrade

Instead of buying their CPU, I'd much rather ID the thermal paste & buy a tube of it, slather it on before the tech got there for warranty service

Will liquid metal void warranty ... someone better tweet him

This is subjective, but, the sense of pride he has in saying 9900k will be 'allowed' to creep up to 120watts, that the system as a whole gets a 'full' 300w green light, is just, I said it in an earlier post, the difference between Lucas & a Disney Star Wars

BTW: raise your hand if you know exactly why that oddball Gen8 8700 is on the sales menu as starter CPU (& not the K model)

42 pages so far, I've yet to see trolling or people who are 'mad', all that'll happen after buyers take delivery. In the meantime it's been questions answers opinions wishful thinking etc, very civil in here unlike in other Dellware threads. The fact that the jaundiced eye sees yellow cuts both ways, for haters & fans alike. True Stockholm Syndrome would normally come from drinking the koolaid, would it not ... ... ...

Azor himself said he 'heard the complaints'; such complaints do not, do not come from BGA lovers singing kumbaya in a BGA Pride Parade echo-chamber all the live long day; if you think trolldom itself here & everywhere didn't help launch a product like this you're mistaken, where 'vomiting' thread-****ing & making things 'toxic AF' might best be described as necessary evils that can help produce so-called miracles; BGA LoveFests that wield crucifixes & douse Holy Water on LGA owners only produced more BGA mediocrity my good man, for years; like it or not so long as it's acknowledged that the right people spoke up & the right people finally listened & so here we are

Obviously everyone involved wants it to be the best product on the market, & it will be if it earns it; it doesn't surprise me in the least if forum members dwell less on what's right with 51m & more on what might be wrong with it; none of us were running around Las Vegas calling it the world's most powerful gaming laptop & because the Aliens themselves were, it should be picked apart on that basis & so should the marketing language. Moving forward, trolls & staunch critics will likely help bring about a better R2 next year packing Ice Lake, don't @ me

@Vasudev
    Hi. Alien owners have been deprived of desktop CPUs for so long now, it's likely that some in the readership may have to get acquainted with the latest Intel parts. 9600k 9700k 9900k have a soldered IHS, explained, tested & then de-lidded in this video for those interested

A delid & cleanup followed by liquid metal results in admirable cooling as shown. Members are welcome to search for info related to results achieved with a delid using the best traditional pastes as an alternative to LM. Some will decide not to delid & leave well enough alone, others buy a delid tool & DIY, some will pay for the mail-in service through Silicon Lottery for example or may wish to purchase one of their SL binned / de-lid chips https://siliconlottery.com/collections/sl/products/delid?variant=12790751494230

Member @UltraMale spared no expense & has purchased his binned delidded warrantied 9900k SL CPU from HIDEvolution w/an NBR member discount, & an excellent choice of shop to do business with

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    TBoneSan, Ashtrix, j95 and 8 others like this.
  3. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Everyone here talking about RTX 2060/70/80 DGFFs and MXMs, and here I am, just waiting for Quadro RTX upgrades on my Precision.

I really want to first try and unlock the full potential of my 1728 Pascal cores in my Quadro. Compare to the 1280 cores of the GTX 1060, the 1920 cores of the desktop GTX 1070, and the 2048 cores of the notebook GTX 1070.

I currently barely get the performance of a GTX 1060, which has nearly 500 fewer cores, just because I have memory at 7 GHz, voltage locks at 0.7 V under load, and clocks under gaming locked at ~1.3 GHz. Anyone willing to do a (paid) VBIOS mod for me?

Aroc, Mr. Fox and Rei Fukai like this.
  4. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am confused about two things:

1. Does this system support only 2400Mhz memory modules?

2. Is the 1 year default warranty changed with this laptop? The basic warranty seems to support only "mail-in services" , what the hell does that mean? I seem to remember that all Dell laptops had a yearly accidental warranty and in-house parts replacement, have they scrapped it?

I don't mind being a guinea pig and pre order this system but the cheap warranty is a absolute no go for me considering I don't live in the USA. Also, 2650$ for a basic model with 8GB Ram, no SSD and a 60Hz panel is an absolute rip-off!

I wonder if the 450$ to upgrade to a 2080 makes it worth it considering the system only had a 1080p screen.

The more I think about it, the more I realise that this is a rushed product and nothing more than a marketing hype created by AW/Dell. Just look at these forums, it has got us talking. Meanwhile, over on the GT75 threads, there is hardly any talk about the new model. Excluding the "desktop" chip, MSI GT75 is a much better product that this AW A51m will ever be. The screen, the cooling and the keyboard of a GT75 is miles ahead of this one.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mr. Fox and Vistar Shook like this.
  5. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow

This thread is barely a week old and it's already toxic AF. Reminds me of the 17R4 thread where people come only to vomit their hatred of "BGA turdbooks" and Dellieware, but never to share experience and advice (as they don't even own the device we're speaking of)...
    Good job f***king this thread so fast. This is just sad.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    MogRules, alaskajoel, iunlock and 3 others like this.
  6. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    This is to be expected because most people around here thinks that we all use our system for benching and nothing else.

7. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Rushed? Frank stated this had been in development for years. The GT75 looks clunky, fat bezels etc. The GT75 chassis needs an update. I do like MSI. The GT75 was actually in my top 3 choices this year but I couldn’t pass up the beautiful look of the 51m. Also DESKTOP CPU!

Also regarding warranty, it may be different depending where you are located. My included warranty is “1 Year Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis”.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    Agreed, mostly. GT75 could use a design upgrade but it still has the best keyboard and screen you can buy on any laptop. Dell spec wide is a tempting that's for sure too.

But, where I come from, 3500$ for a laptop is huge. Absolutely huge! So, a little skepticism about the product which hasn't been tested yet is a little understandable I hope.

I mean, it will surely thermal throttle and there will be some serious power limits on the K processor. In the end, it will be up to the end user to fine tweak his system for a 3500$'s worth performance. How much will it throttle, we'll find out in a few weeks time. Till then, I'll play the waiting game until it shows up on Hidevolution.

raz8020 and Vistar Shook like this.
  9. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So the more I've been reading this thread and the debate of the resolution that comes with this laptop (1080p but 144hz) my question is are there currently any gaming laptop screens out there that are 1440p+144hz combo? Sounds like that is what most people are looking for, but I'm wondering if it's just not available yet in that specific combo.

10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What is not available according to the AW engineers, is a higher than 1080p 17.4" pannell that can fit the 'thin bezel' configuration.

Which makes sense if you ever disassembled a 17" laptop. The metal brackets around the LCD are usually quite large.

chewbakaats58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.