New Alienware 51m dead keyboard. Anyone Else?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by kyle802, Mar 25, 2019.

?

Has this happened to you ?

1. Yes ?

11.1%
  2. No ?

88.9%
  1. ReaceM

ReaceM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I'll give that a try. Thank you. When you say "clear bios", do you mean unplug the battery or just use the bios reset feature in the bios menu?

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, I mean the battery method

3. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought one of those Alienware mechanical gaming keyboards, I forget which one, the nicer of the two, over a hundred bucks cost wise

Took it home and within 5 minutes, I was putting it back in the box and taking it back to the store because what I like to do, as any rational person should is, as soon as I get new tech, i check for firmware updates and such ... Well, Alienware's firmware update to that keyboard completely bricked it. It was completely 100% unresponsive, completely dead. I have never in my life seen a keyboard get bricked by software. So this is clearly one of Dell's ongoing serious design control issues that their keyboards are so heavily reliant on software. Honestly it makes me wanna uninstall all the driver software from my computer so that it can't run a bad update and cause serious issues.

So sad.

but yeah, now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense that it's software, given my previous experiences. Glad you got it sorted.

Papusan and ReaceM like this.
  4. ReaceM

Reputations:
    The Commamd Center software is no longer available on the A51m support page for download. I have one from February though. Going to try that one.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Never update FW from AW. A update that creates more problems than a fix. Drivers are not needed anymore, just use generic drivers.

6. kyle802

kyle802 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Weird, Yes mine was completely dead until command center said it had to download components, it started that process and then i noticed the keyboard came back ! I thought this cant be real LOL typed on it, and it worked, i now have no issues with latest command center update. I did have a RMA coming for on-site technician to replace the Keyboard but i have cancelled it, i also didn't want to grab a new laptop, because i have already upgraded this and tossed the ram it came with etc, and i didn't want DELL stealing my parts (Which they do often). Plus i have broken in this laptop now and i am satisfied with the thermals and performance i didn't want to gamble on a new unit.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. kyle802

kyle802 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ya and unfortunately with the this new Area-51m without command center / software, you would have zero control over anything. I tried even adjusting fan speed in programs like HWINFO Etc, they have somehow locked it out, only CC works for lighting and fan speed.

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Open MS STore and type AW Command center to download full suite incl. drivers and other things.

kyle802 likes this.
  9. ReaceM

Reputations:
    Thanks a bunch for the assistance, guys. Unfortunately, the Command Center reinstallation didnt work for me. Uninstalled everything using CCcleaner, wiped bios, did full power drain and reinstalled AWCC every way I possibly can. I even reinstalled Windows from the recovery partition.

Unfortunately, I was not given an option to NOT update. I opened CC to adjust my lighting and was immediately presented with an "updating components" screen. Once that finished, a restart was required to use CC. After rebooting, the keyboard failed. Very strange.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    RMA that ASAP. They might deny RMA if you're late or waiting for fix.

Papusan likes this.