New Alienware 51m dead keyboard. Anyone Else?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by kyle802, Mar 25, 2019.

?

Has this happened to you ?

1. Yes ?

11.1%
  2. No ?

88.9%
  1. kyle802

kyle802 Newbie

Reputations:
    Alienware 51m
    CoreI7 8700 CPU
    RTX2070 GPU
    32gb Ram
    NVME 256gb SSD

Well it lasted almost a whole month, I have had no issues with this laptop until this point. I have been playing some long BDO sessions. Last night i decided to give her a break, shut down laptop.. went to bed. Woke up this morning, turned it on, no keyboard detection. No Lights. Trackpad works, lights on that work, Lights on back work. External Keyboards work.

Booted her down to check to see if the ribbon cable had come lose, pulled it all apart, re-seated ribbon cable. Tried again, noticed that the second connection for the ribbon in the service manual is actually under the board, roughly where the CPU sits (Which i thought was an odd place to put it, what if the heat burnt it out or something?) not sure. either way i know i wasn't going to pull everything apart as well as the board.

Placed a call with Dell, they are sending a technician out to service it on Thursday, with a new keyboard part. I am curious if anyone else has had this experience with keyboards dying ? or am i the first person this has happened with.

Thanks Guys ! I am hoping when dude gets here on Thursday he pulls board up and goes, OH lol your ribbon fell out underneath. i would be happy with that, its possible the vibrations from my cooling pad shook it loose, i don't know but well find out. Either way glad its getting fixed.

2. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm more inclined to think it's the motherboard, though without water damage, keyboards in laptops rarely fail. So i'd say this is pretty rare, yeah.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. kyle802

kyle802 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ya... I thought the same thing.. I cant find anyone else with this issue, so im hoping i am a one off :)

4. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You'd have to have a seriously unbalanced fan in your cooling pad for it to vibrate the ribbon cable out. My guess is its a defective solder joint on some part of the motherboard which has failed, but hopefully its just the keyboard.

5. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try pulling out the battery and CMOS battery and holding power for 30 seconds. This restored the track pad and keyboard on a Lenovo of mine, worth a shot.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. kyle802

kyle802 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Man ! ill give this a try when i get home from work, you know i thought about pulling CMOS when i had it open too ... At this point i honestly don't know if its bad board or bad keyboard, i could still be software related, its running BIOS 1.2.0 and its still early in this laptop's life cycle.

7. kyle802

kyle802 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry when i said fan, i meant the cooling pad under the laptop, it has a harsh vibration, and it makes alot of noise, its fairly old.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  8. kyle802

kyle802 Newbie

Reputations:
    UPDATE: Tonight my keyboard came back, with lights, after i decided to uninstall Command Center, and reinstall, voila .. all fixed... So somehow, Command Center completely 100% killed my keyboard as a detected device, even at BIOS During boot. Reinstalled it, and my keyboard is back, not sure if i should still have this tech thats coming replace the keyboard or not, but it looks like it is 100% working.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  9. ReaceM

ReaceM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had the SAME keyboard issue, and it happened directly after updating command center yesterday and rebooting. In my case, uninstalling and reinstalling did not fix the issue. In fact after spending an hour on the phone with tech support, we tried twice and it didnt fix it. They are sending an RMA box today, but I'll try reinstalling command center one more time. Maybe an old version of CC.

Something weird going on with Command Center it seems.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Use DDU or CCleaner to uninstall Command Center. Clear Bios and reboot. Install old version last