New Alienware 17 R4 first impressions and temp problems

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by evilcorp, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanner208

Tanner208 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got my new AW17R4 couple days ago.

My config: QHD 120hz TN panel, i7 7820hk (currently OCd to 4.0Ghz), GTX 1080, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD PCIe + 1TB HDD

Cooling pad 120mm single fan

I'm new at all of this but I have been running stress tests and benchmarks since I've had it and I had some concerns with the temperatures regarding the CPU during load. I never got any thermal throttling but temperatures were getting into the 80s on average when running GTA 5 for an hour on "default" settings. CPU temps would spike into the low 90s too.

I called Dell tech support, they did a virtual take over and ran all kinds of tests, updated my BIOS and made certain adjustments to my OS for better performance. They said everything looked good and said that as long as the "avg" temperature doesn't reach 93c or higher that is normal and not dangerous to the cpu or machine itself. Is that accurate? I also noticed the power limit throttling was signaling when running the tests but tech said it was fine.

I had the CPU overclocked by just 1 multiplier, so it was

2. evilcorp

evilcorp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had two Sunon heatsinks. It was clear when the first one was removed that the thermal paste had holes in it and was like hard toothpaste.
    There was a gap under two of the thermal pads on the stock factory delivered heatsink. The new part was Sunon and I laughed when I saw the flaking Tim on the heatsink it was terrible. I cleaned it off because the tech wouldn't do it. That was when I turned around to see him handle the laptop like a sumo wrestler. He was clueless. I am beginning to think that it's a refurb. The panel Is from 2015 and is the old type that had watermark and banding issues.
    I tried to play bf1 last night and ended up with the jerkiest game play ever

Pete Light likes this.
  3. Airizzo

Airizzo Newbie

Reputations:
    I’m debating letting dell take my pc and make bios updates and customize. I’ve heard horror stories though

Pete Light likes this.
  4. evilcorp

Reputations:
    You can make the bios updates easily in the alienware software. I hope that you have better luck than me

5. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    I would contact order support and make them send you a new system.
    If you just bought it then there is no reason you should be having technicians repair a system that is still within its return period.
    It should be always replaced for a new system.

Maineiac12, Airizzo, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  6. evilcorp

Reputations:
    Thanks. I totally agree with you and argued the point with Dell. They were quick to offer a refund, rather than an exchange which is sad because I could see that changes had been made with the heatsink and pads. The applied thermal toothpaste was had a hole in the middle which was very obvious when the heatsink was taken off. Its been a frustrating experience as my friend bought the same model on the same day and has great temps without repasting at 4.2ghz.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Definitely a refurb, I also had that panel in my first unit. It was discontinued in march, you should be able to complain, show evidence and get the brand new one which is awesome

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Take the refund and buy another one new. That way you're guaranteed they won't send another refurb.

evilcorp likes this.
  9. evilcorp

Reputations:
    I would do but I got it at a great discount price. I feel slightly aggrieved that i have to buy another one to get a fully working new model. In your sig it shows you have the gt73vr by msi. How have you found it Maineiac12?

Vasudev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.