NEW Aero 14 w/ GTX1060

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by ericheadlo, Oct 31, 2016.

1. elcid79

elcid79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually woundup rebuilding it with gigabytes boot drive. For some reason the computer was somewhat unstable when running vanilla.

2. bruor

bruor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    someone PM'd me about the emptyproject script I put together awhile ago and it needed some tweaks with the creators update so I'm posting back the changes here in case someone still wants to use it. The script basically suppresses emptyproject11.exe while on battery, and does nothing when on power. I tried to get the script to launch emptyproject11 when power was restored but for some reason it would always consume 30+% cpu when run that way and since smart manager will launch it again at some point I'm not bothered to track down why.

The script runs in task scheduler if you kick it off manually, but if you try to schedule it to start on login for a user account, it says it's running in the background but it doesn't actually take any action, the workaround I found was to make a shortcut that goes in the startup folder to kick off the schduled task using "schtasks.exe /run /TN "SchedulerJobName"

For my windows scheduled task I have set the following options on the general tab:
    - "when running the task, use the following user account" = me
    - run only when logged on = true
    - run with highest privileges = true

Triggers tab: blank

Actions tab:
    Action = start a program
    program/script = C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
    add argument = -noexit -windowstyle hidden -file d:\scripts\scripfilename.ps1

Conditions tab:
    Make sure all check boxes are blank, if they are greyed out they are still enabled, you mush check the parent, uncheck the child, and uncheck the parent again. I learned this the hard way by leaving "stop if the computer switches to battery power" checked but greyed out.

Settings tab:
    only 2 options here, allow manual run, and force stop.

Contents of the updated script file:

if (![BOOL](Get-WmiObject -Class BatteryStatus -Namespace root\wmi).PowerOnLine){
    write-host "started up on battery, looking for EmptyProject11"
    if ((get-process "EmptyProject11" -ea SilentlyContinue).Id -ne $Null){
    stop-process -Force -Id (get-process "EmptyProject11").Id
    write-host "EmptyProject11 was found and killed"
    }
    else{
    write-host "EmptyProject11 was not running"
    }
    }
    else{
    write-host "Device started up on power, do nothing"
    }

Register-WMIEvent -query "Select * From Win32_PowerManagementEvent" `
    -sourceIdentifier "Power" `
    -action {
    if ([BOOL](Get-WmiObject -Class BatteryStatus -Namespace root\wmi).PowerOnLine ){
    write-host "Device is plugged in now, checking if EmptyProject11 is running"
    if ((get-process "EmptyProject11" -ea SilentlyContinue).Id -eq $Null){
    write-host "EmptyProject11 not running, skipping start because cpu utilization issues"
    #start-process -FilePath "C:\Program Files\SmartManagerV3\EmptyProject11.exe"
    }
    else{
    write-host "EmptyProject11 was running"
    }
    }
    else{
    write-host "Device has been unplugged, killing EmptyProject11"
    if ((get-process "EmptyProject11" -ea SilentlyContinue).Id -ne $Null){
    stop-process -Force -Id (get-process "EmptyProject11").Id
    }
    else{
    write-host "EmptyProject11 was not running"
    }
    }
    }

$QRY = "Select * from win32_ProcessStartTrace where processname = 'EmptyProject11.exe'"
    Register-CimIndicationEvent -Query $QRY -SourceIdentifier Q -Action {
    if (![BOOL](Get-WmiObject -Class BatteryStatus -Namespace root\wmi).PowerOnLine){
    Stop-Process $event.SourceEventArgs.newevent.processID
    }
    }

ibd, leader288 and ChrisHPU like this.
  3. ibd

ibd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a reason to keep emptyproject running when on power? Games and applications that need the dGPU will turn it on anyway, wouldn't they?

4. bruor

bruor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is true, but there are brief hangs in Windows when it irises to draw certain things like the start menu and battery status pop up.

It's almost like Windows can't figure out which to use, so it turns on the nvidia briefly, and then uses the intel to draw it anyway.

Creators update seems to at least cache the card it used last time to draw that object so the freezes are way less frequent now.

I personally have emptyproject11 disabled and just live with the issue and keep mentioning it in the feedback hub

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. elcid79

Reputations:
    Anyone else care to post benchmarks.

No software optimization. no overclocks.

32GB ram, and IC Diamond TIM.

Time Spy: 3606
    Fire Strike Ultra: 2505
    Fire Strike Extreme: 5072
    Fire Strike: 9562

6. FightingRobot_

FightingRobot_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I installed KDE Neon on mine fancy Ubuntu. I had to ask for help in this thread to disable secure boot. Basically you set it to "Windows 7/8 mode" in the bios. Windows 10 will still work. I wanted Antergos which appeared to work great on a live USB but the installer kept crashing (more to do with Antergos than this laptop). It just worked with the "so easy an idiot can do it" installer. Just drag the slider to adjust the size of the partition. I actually had to delete the Linux partition so I resized Windows back to the full hard drive size with a live USB, installed Neon again with the installer, and everything still worked. As for bumblebee, just installing it booted to a black screen (which is why I had to reinstall). I think Nouveau has to be uninstalled before Bumblebee can be installed. I removed Nouveau thinking it would force it to use just Intel graphics and went no further with bumblebee cause the only good guide I could find was for Antergos. So I get about 4 hours of battery on Linux. Powertop claims my WiFi card uses 16 watts of power. No idea what the deal is, I think installing Bumblebee should fix it but I don't feel like it

At least two other people in this thread have guides on getting Arch Linux working on this laptop and getting 8 hours of battery

ibd and bruor like this.
  7. elcid79

Reputations:
    Weird, I have gotten 4 BSOD tonight, all Driver Power State Failures.

I am going to reformat again tomorrow morning with vanilla, and see if that resolves the issue.

I went ahead and did the FB04 bios. I am attempting to update the NVidia drivers again, which ironically is why I reinstalled the gigabyte drivers. I could not get NVidia to install, or update.

What I have noticed is that Windows installs and updates are PAINFULLY slow, as in hours. Even installing vanilla took me forever, I believe it was 2-3 hours to simply install it.

Driver updates are taking me 30 minutes or so. I am wondering if I am having a hardware issue, that hasn't been readily obvious yet. Perhaps my SSD is acting up?

Have any of you had any issues like this?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017 at 10:28 PM
  8. AquaRain

AquaRain Newbie

Reputations:
    This is mine.
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11487725
    Geforce Experience installed. No changes to hardware.

around 692 on Cinebench r15 (attached below)
    Edit: other than NVidia gpu at driver from March 28th and windows automatic updates, I did not use SmartUpdater. So, all my drivers are from the support page. BIOS still at FB02

Attached Files:

9. ChrisHPU

ChrisHPU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone think of a way to use Macro Hub to assign the macro keys to increase/decrease screen brightness?

10. ChrisHPU

ChrisHPU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also, interesting news: I just updated SmartManager to 6.7.8 via Smart Update and it no longer starts the emptyproject11.exe process so I guess we're done with that.