NEW Aero 14 w/ GTX1060

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by ericheadlo, Oct 31, 2016.

1. elcid79

elcid79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Still slightly unsure. Should we run the script after the new update or is the issue resolved?

2. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Microstuttering and latency issues are mostly caused by Optimus. The new update is said to be more Optimus-friendly, meaning the GPU switching back and forth will no longer cause microstutters as massive as it used to be in the previous Win10 version. EmptyProject basically kept the dGPU awake all the time, rendering Optimus switching void, but affected the battery life by a big margin. Right now, Optimus microstutter is still there, but is rarely present. You can still run EmptyProject and totally eliminate it, but I'd rather have a better battery life with minimal stutter, than a 100% snappy system with few less hours.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. leader288

leader288 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested, here is a review (in korean but Google's your friend) with high res shots of the interior, including the heatsink assembly!

ibd likes this.
  4. mischieftain

mischieftain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering an Aero 14, and on GenTech's site I am trying to decide between the IC Diamond on CPU/GPU or Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra on CPU/GPU. Any insights on which is better and why? The second Coollaboratry option is more expensive, and I was hoping someone could share some feedback/understanding on what makes it a better solution.

Thanks for all the shared information and experience on here. I've been researching options for ages and feel confident on picking one of these up.

5. elcid79

Reputations:
    I had to make the same decision. Decided to go w ic diamond. In the future it will be easier to clean off. And as I understand it should last longer.

With that said ic doesn't cool quite as well. It's still good though.

Lu is corrosive and conductive. So there is more risk. Plus some people claim it hardens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ibd

ibd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did someone install Linux on their 7700hq version laptop? Is it possible to partition the boot drive without reinstalling Windows?
    Is graphics driver stuff working, like screen brightness, bumblebee/optimus?

I recently installed Ubuntu on an Alienware laptop, and I had to change some things in the bios to make it recognize the internal drive, and to disable secure boot. I wonder if I have to do similar things with this laptop.

7. elcid79

Reputations:
    I am midway through a clean install. What oe apps should I reinstall? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. leader288

leader288 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey @Philosobyte did you ever get around to measuring the thermal pad thickness?

9. leader288

leader288 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Smart Update, then Smart Manager and Macro Hub. Of course all the driver/windows updates.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. bruor

bruor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Double check driver versions before you install the gigabyte ones. In mont cases the windows update drivers seem to be newer versions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

leader288 likes this.