NEW Aero 14 w/ GTX1060

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by ericheadlo, Oct 31, 2016.

1. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The IPC between the Skylake 965m version, and the Kabylake 1060 version of the Aero 14's, are basically the same, meaning the only differences you'll see will be accounted by CPU clockspeed differences.

• The 6700HQ has a max single-threaded turbo of 3.5ghz but otherwise runs all 4 cores at 3.1ghz.
    • The 7700HQ has a max single-threaded turbo of 3.8ghz, but otherwise runs all 4 cores at 3.4ghz.

You're looking at a 300mhz difference in performance, or less than 10% here. I guess the question is if less than a 10% gain in performance is worth 500 euros to you, assuming the gfx card is not important, and you can get the same RAM config for both.

2. leader288

leader288 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    check post #794

3. Wheatman

Wheatman Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks - I've had the whole thing crash (reboot from USB) as well when I tried to put a docking station into the USB C port. Will give the driver a go, hopefully it'll work. Don't want to go through that again!

XH558 likes this.
  4. leader288

leader288 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think if you're looking at battery battery life, the newer processor usually has battery power efficiency at some tasks, eg. decoding x265 is more power efficient on the 7700s vs 6700 (hardware vs software). Then again, i do not believe that there are much differences processor wise between the two generations.

You'll probably see more difference in the graphics cards, if I'm not wrong, the newer 1060 has 3x more memory and is built using a more power efficient process 28nm (965m) vs 16nm (1060).

Anyone feel free to comment!

5. dan83

dan83 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot!

So do you think the 1060 + the i7 7700HQ will consume less power than the 965M + i7 6700HQ, since the 1060 is still so much more powerful?

6. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Answer is probably no. The 1060 has a significantly higher TDP than the 965M.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. leader288

leader288 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, looking at this website: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-10-series-pascal-mobile-gpus,32471.html
    and the TDP posted here I would say when maxing out the GPU, yes, the 1060 does consume slightly more power. However, given a more efficient architecture and die process, given the SAME set of tasks, the newer GPU and CPU would consume less power overall - completing the task quicker, or more efficiently then older hardware.

8. XH558

XH558 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought this USB-C hub from Amazon. With the new drivers it works a treat. I can run 4 USB hard drives from it without issue. Styling matches perfectly too with the orange.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COZOO-4-Port-Devices-MacBook-ChromeBook/dp/B01DDD9A6U/ref=sr_1_13

[​IMG]

Wheatman and FightingRobot_ like this.
  9. Jakshi

Jakshi Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you tell me how to update the Drivers?
    My Aero crashed after I plugged a USB-C USB+Hdmi hub and wasnt able to boot anymore. It resulted in a 'System Thread Exception Not Handled' error and I had to reset the whole System because nothing else worked. I dont want to go through the same process again...

10. XH558

XH558 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, that was same problem I had. See my post further above for the fix. Which basically means using a later driver packaged by Dell.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk