NEW Aero 14 w/ GTX1060

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by ericheadlo, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Andrea Genovese

Andrea Genovese Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm torn between Razer Blade FHD and Gigabyte Aero 14

What I do:
    Im a programmer/researcher/VRsounddesigner I want a laptop with the 1060 GTX but also "office looks"

Price is the same:
    RB at MS with Student Discount = 2460
    Aereo14 at Gentech with some steroids = 2340

After "pumping up the specs" on the Aero 14, the differences are these:
    • RAM - 16gb on RB and 32gb on Areo, maybe a bit an overkill but why not man
    • Battery - ~5 hrs on RB FHD and ~9 hrs on Areo.. this is a good feature
    • TB3 - only on RB although I dont really need it
    • BUILD - RB is assured quality... Areo14 is liability since its impossible to find one on display and put my hands on it
    Thoughts? Comments? Is my assessment correct?

Also, any comment on the 1TB ssd? im a novice in those

2. bruor

bruor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am in the exact same boat, I want a laptop that can handle light gaming but is portable and doesn't look out of place for business. I do infrastructure management. I was really wanting to get a blade but I can't comment on its looks as I've never seen one. I can say that the aero 14 really surprised me when I saw it in person and it feels premium when comparing to the MSI and Asus ROG units that were at the store. In pictures it appears less black than it does in person. It definitely has more of an office aesthetic.

You should compare in to the QHD blade, the extra resolution will make a difference ️ I can't get the razer site to load still to compare pricing but I think that adds 200 or so.

I was happy to get it as is with 16gb ram since it comes with 1 module according to gentech and I can just add 1 more later if needed.

I was thinking about the loss of thunderbolt for docking an my desk but displayport is fine for monitor and USB C and 3 should be good for everything else.

The only difference that I noticed also is that the blade, IIRC, has nvme while the Aero has sata3 storage.

The battery life was a huge plus for the aero here as well.

My gut says that support will be better with gigabyte if there is an issue. Razer sales/support is really horrid.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Andrea Genovese

Andrea Genovese Newbie

Reputations:

As far as I have researched:

• Gigabyte support is awful as well, add insurance from 3rd party
    • If you buy from gentech you can add a 1TB nvme for $600 (thats a lot, but still cheaper than RB)
    • QHD ends up being worse than FHD on that screen size IMO
    You should check a blade if you have access to a microsoft store, they really feel wonderful, amazing keyboard (I write a lot). The build quality is superior and looks like it can take a fall. I compare it to that of a macbook

What did you think of the Gigabyte chassis/build in the pictures it looks a bit shabby and made of plastic which will not survive a bycicle fall, please tell me if I am wrong... also, where did you find one to look at?

4. bruor

Reputations:
    "Canada computers" in Ontario is where I found one to look at. The build was solid, it felt more metal than plastic in the hand. I use a Das keyboard with cherry MX blue switches and my favorite keyboard on a laptop at best buy was on the Dell xps 13/15. The keyboard on the aero felt better to me, it had good resistance and travel.

I'll have to call gentech and modify my order to add their warranty perhaps.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. Andrea Genovese

Andrea Genovese Newbie

Reputations:
    this is good news

their warranty is expensive, i personally rather invest into a nvme ssd which I can extract and reuse one day

6. Wiz33

Wiz33 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only reason I did not go with the X3 is that it does not have optimus so you're running the 1060 all the time so battery life is nowhere near that of the Aero 14.

7. bruor

Reputations:
    You mentioned insurance from a 3rd party, any recommendations?

8. Andrea Genovese

Andrea Genovese Newbie

Reputations:
    You can get something from your bank, ask if they cover general damage/theft/loss

If i go for razer I will buy the Miscrosoft Store insurance if I go for areo, I will buy the one from gentech
    I want this purchase to last 4+ years

9. bruor

Reputations:
    Do you mean the gentech extended warranty, or do they have an insurance option as well?

10. Andrea Genovese

Andrea Genovese Newbie

Reputations:
    my bad,

i meant warranty, i confuse the two sometimes

Probably wont cover theft and loss