NEW Aero 14 w/ GTX1060

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by ericheadlo, Oct 31, 2016.

1. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1080. I did want the larger screen. But didn't feel like paying £100 extra paired with a 960m coming down from a 970m. And only wanted it as a cheap replacement unit until the next gen had came out. Battery life was pretty decent though even without disabling nvidia. That's why my next purchase has oled qhd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. yotano21

yotano21 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm glad you didnt get the 4k screen, looks like $hit. I downsize to 1080 anyways, 4k on 13inch screen looks so bad.

3. bruor

bruor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gentech changed mid morning between showing as "pre-order" to "in stock" so I put my order in with them. They're also giving away a 1TB USB3 hard drive, upgraded thermal paste, 30 day dead pixel coverage, and a free T-Shirt if you're into that sort of thing. I'm personally worried that if they change the paste it'll void the manufacturer warranty.

hmscott likes this.
  4. kcimpulse

kcimpulse Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Bruor- Thanks for the update. I am also almost to the point of ordering though @GenTechPC also. Did they give you a shipping estimate? But I agree that the thermal paste swap with warranty complication, delay of shipment, and just the fact i like a pristine new computer.

5. bruor

Reputations:
    I think they're actually closed today, I couldn't get someone there to answer the phone so I could ask them whether it was actually in or not.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. Wiz33

Wiz33 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, I just jumped ship and ordered a P35XV6 instead. Was browsing over at Xotic and saw they have one in FHD with just the 1Tb for $1799 and for $100 and 1 lb more, you get the GTX-1070, 2 M.2 slots. This work perfectly since I just got an Intel 600P 512GB NVMe from egg's sales last week so I can put that in and clone the drive. then I started thinking. If I got the version with the 512GB M.2 and put in the intel and ditch the 1TB HDD and the DVD using the weight saver, I can get the unit to below 5 lbs. Well, I ended up getting the top package. it should be here sometime next week and if some of you have gotten the Aero 14 then and we can compare notes.

7. kcimpulse

kcimpulse Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sounds like a good choice, I just cant deal with a 15.6" laptop. The 10 Pad and the offset track-pad drive me up the wall. But would love to hear how it turns out for you. Also since the Aero doesn't put a mech hd in the case there is room for more battery, and i really like the look of the black one.

But with the Aero being slow to get delivered to retail, it has been driving me to maybe buy is the Aorus 13.9" X3 Plus v6-PC3K4D - 1900$ at NewEgg with free goodies.(like lots of them)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834725031

8. bruor

Reputations:
    I went into a store and got my hands on the 965m version of the aero 14 and the pictures online don't do it justice. It's a really slick looking machine and the keyboard feels great in comparison to my previous top pick (xps15).

I almost bought it on the spot because I was tired of waiting for the 1060. In my case the 1060 will be a huge upgrade from my desktop which is currently a 570. The only concern I had was that the 965 wouldn't have enough horsepower for the qhd screen when it comes to games.

9. kcimpulse

kcimpulse Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What store did you get hands on with it. I would love to check it out before I buy.

10. bruor

Reputations:
    I live in the Niagara Region of Ontario and the local chain "Canada computers" had one in stock.

I had my heart set on a razer blade but their support is ridiculously slow to respond to any requests and there's a large thread in their forum about a gpu throttle happening to keep the machine cool. People are having to run throttlestop to get full performance (comparing to other 1060 laptops).

I will keep this thread up to date when I get the machine in and will gladly compare notes with anyone interested.