NEW Aero 14 w/ GTX1060

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by ericheadlo, Oct 31, 2016.

1. KML

KML Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, for my 7700hq aero, I got a new shiny portable ssd for external use and found out that it did not perform as it should when connected to usb 3.1 gen 2 port (400-430 mb/s sequential read and write, normally reaches 540 and other benchmarks are much worse). If connected to one of the usb 3 ports, it is working somewhat faster - 440 mb/s read and write. Windows says the ssd is a usb mass storage drive on usb 3.1, not usb attached scsi mass storage drive as should’ve been seen. I checked the issue and saw that 3.1 gen 2 port does not support uasp while on the other hand normal usb 3 port does! Enclosure can’t be the cause because it has proper chipset to support uasp and works as expected on usb 3 with trim and smart functioning. Well, tbh when on usb 3.1, according to crystal disk info it also supports trim and smart but not uasp.

What do you guys think about this issue? Hope that I’m not the only one who think this is ridiculous. It is probably driver related but I couldn’t find a new driver and reinstall didn’t help. I don’t know which controller is used for usb 3.1 port. It is asmedia but I don’t know which asmedia chip. Anyone can help please? As it is, I lose almost 20 percent performance I paid for.

2. evident

evident Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I purchased another wifi card- an Intel 9260 and it works perfectly. The Intel 8260 that came w/ the machine is defective. I still have a few months left and contemplating doing an RMA on the laptop. How long do RMA's usually take? Is it even worth it for a $25 wifi card?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  3. Character Zero

Character Zero Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just did an RMA on mine, got in right before the warranty was out. Charging was not working properly and they replaced the motherboard. I had a good experience (although it will be back on Monday so I can't say its fixed 100% just yet). But the experience itself was fine. I called to get the RMA and they literally walked me through the online form, so if you did an RMA just fill that out. But you have to pay to ship it out to them which UPS ground was around $25 for me. My advice would be to not switch out the wifi card and just use a USB wifi dongle, they aren't too expensive and you can find some small ones. That way if something big happens your warranty wouldn't come into question by replacing the card yourself. Once you are out of warranty I would just replace the card yourself, if its a $25 card its not really worth it to pay to ship it in.

4. bruor

bruor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had issues on my Skylake aero 14 and swapped out the WiFi card, has been great since.

5. Character Zero

Reputations:
    Anyone dual booting with Linux? Wanted to try a Ubuntu-based distro, so has anyone dual booted with Ubuntu and are there any gotchas?

6. bruor

bruor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you try to search this thread I'm pretty sure I remember someone posting their progress ages ago but there were some issues with battery life (due to Optimus) that had to be worked around.

7. Character Zero

Reputations:
    I saw some talk of Arch but I will poke around to see if anyone installed a Ubuntu distro. I am fine with just the intel GPU for Linux.

8. BNC

BNC Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Aero owners, I have just got my Aero 14 with i7-7700HQ and wondering that in the Smart Manager the "Battery Charging Policy" option is missing. This way, I don't have any possibility to do some battery management. Do you have any idea, how could I stop charging the battery at a certain point? It bothers me, that I don't have any influence on that (being an ex-lenovo user :))... I am wondering also, if the versions equipped with the 8th gen i7-8750H have this "Battery Charging Policy" option in the Smart Manager yet? Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    bberry110 likes this.
  9. stylo

stylo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For info, i had WIFI pb like some of you, opening the back panel and found a bad connection. after reinserting, pb solved.

hmscott likes this.