NEW Aero 14 w/ GTX1060

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by ericheadlo, Oct 31, 2016.

1. KML

KML Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. I got a Kaby Lake Aero 14 six months ago after a long battle against Aero 15 - Msi gs43 and so far happy with it. Except a few tiny stuff and running low on ssd space :) Question is, should I update bios and other drivers? If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it; or so they say. I haven’t updated anything except a few utilities and usual windows patches. Some people reported bugs even here after updates. Since this one is my only pc and I also use it for work sometimes, especially traveling, I am a bit concerned. On the other hand, there might be some improvements regarding thermals, performance, battery time, and so on. So what do you suggest? Is it worth updating or I would be ok without doing anything?

2. bberry110

bberry110 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello KML,
    You would want to look at the latest BIOS update for the Aero 14 (i7-7700), Gigabyte lists it as “CPU microcode update”. If you update via Smart Update make sure you are not running any other background programs and that your laptop is connected to the internet and plugged in.
    Also you may want to update the ME Firmware via Smart Update and latest Chipset driver (via Smart Update).
    The latest updates for iGPU, Wifi, Bluetooth, dGPU will be useful for compatibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KML likes this.
  3. KML

KML Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @bberry110 thanks for the answer. I usually don’t use smart update, though. It runs very slow and downloads slow, too. I don’t know why. Tried a few times already but looks like it will go on updating till the end of the world. Anyway, I guess I’ll do it manually, whatever that means :) unless there is an easier or safer way to do so.

bberry110 likes this.
  4. Ultra Audio

Ultra Audio Newbie

Reputations:
    I feel I should chime in here, as I'm getting rid of my Aero 14

My model

So I bought the Skylake/GTX-1060 version before they, fairly quickly, took that version off the market. It's been just under 2 years and I've used it not stop since. So here is my long term review for anybody interested. . .

How I use it.

I'm a 3D animator/ digital artist and more than casual gamer. . .Like the opposite of casual . . .So I've put this machine through its paces with intensive render sessions (sometimes up to 12+ hours straight), lots of gaming (Overwatch, Tera, FF14, Fallout 4, PUBG have the most hours on this machine), and hundreds of hours in Photoshop and After Effects.

I have it connected to a 27" 2k 144hz G-sync, a 27" 60hz 1080p, with the lid open. For a total of 2 2k moniters and 1 1080p.

Some maybe obvious facts

1.It handles all of these things great. . .If it's plugged into the Ac adapter.
    2.It has always ran super hot, in excess of 100c in a well ventilated room.
    3.It gets loud, as it should, but never enough to bother anybody at a coffee shop or library.
    4.The 94wHr battery is legit. Remove nearly all of the gigabyte bloatware, including the service which auto-starts EmptyProject, to get 10 or so hours out of it. A fresh install of windows will do just fine.
    5.The rubber grommets will come off. I highly recommend removing them and re-adhering them with a good two-mix epoxy.
    6.If you carry it in a backpack with a few books, the screen will flex just enough to to make wear around the inner edges of the screen bezel. I've got wear in about 4 different spots. It a small eyesore.
    7.The keyboard will loosen up after a while. keystrokes were obnoxiously tight after the first few months, but they get spongy after you break them in. It goes from being a really unpleasant typing experience to a fairly decent one.
    8.The trackpad drivers suck. Dave2D has instructions to install Windows precision drivers. Use that.

Some failures . . .

The motherboard died after about 6 months. I RMA'd it and got it back nearly a month later. They updated the BIOS and sent the fixed unit back to me with a SEVERELY underclocked GPU and CPU. The 1060 was barely faster than a 1050ti. Needless to say I was pissed, and asked them why they did this. They told me it was to keep within the thermal limitations of the cooling solution. . .Which means they shipped a product knowing it's thermal solution wasn't adequate. (funny how we got Aero 14s with 1050ti's now =P ). My CPU also couldn't turbo past 3.4. The upside was, the laptop ran cooler. I was hitting 84-86c on max loads for extended periods. This was way better than the 100c I was hitting before.

I wasn't all that convinced the thermal solution was a total failure though. So, I disassembled it to find a terrible thermal pasting job by the Gigabyte techs. I cleaned it, and applied liquid metal and now my 7700HQ boosts to 3.8 as it should, while hitting 76-78c. My GTX1060 can boost a bit higher, but now it feels more like a 1060 Max-Q. This reaches about 80c.

Lastly, my wireless card failed a year in. Replaced that with a Killer 1550.

The things I've come to hate

Needing to plug in the AC adapter to use the dedicated GPU - Its not truly portable if you must do this. If I don't need access to my GPU when I'm mobile, then I likely don't need a 94wHr battery either. I understand the need for a balance here, but let me waste battery life at my discretion, I don't need the machine to do that for me. The XPS15 does it, generally all CAD workstations do it. . .the Aero 14 doesn't. As a creative professional, you'll basically need it all the time. If you leave it at home, you basically have a 4.5 lb ultrabook. Don't expect to do anything graphically intensive without it.

Quality Control is god awful - The issue with the thermal solution shouldn't have seen the light of day. I'm assuming they knew about it and let the consumer be their test bench for it. It didn't work, so now they only offer Aero's with a 1050ti. How they pasted the heatsink gives me the impression their' technicians are 100% inept on the simple practice of proper TIM application. The wear on the screen bezel makes me wonder how the Aero 15 screen will look after a few months. If there isn't a bezel to get worn, then it will makes it way to the matt screen won't it?

The lack of Thunderbolt 3 until the most recent model. - Like.....it should of had one, lets be honest.

The things I've come to love

The keyboard....its pretty awesome now. I've tested it next to another Aero and the keystrokes have definitely become considerably easier.

The size and battery. granted I'm not always in applications which warrant the GPU. So if I'm just writing reports or browsing the web, its incredible how long it lasts. Just remember to ditch all the gigabyte software. Yes...even SmartManager. The computer will adjust its fanspeed accordingly. It doesn't need some ****ty OS GUI to do that for it.

SD card reader speeds - Its fast. . .and amazing. Lightroom appreciates it.

Verdict

As a creative professional, I don't recommend this machine for its slew of reliability issues and poor quality control. With A LOT of work on your part, it can be a great machine. But at the cost of voiding your warranty to mange thermals, I don't feel its worth the hefty price tag.

Hope this helps.

5. sahil04

sahil04 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the post, how can you verify if the CPU/GPU comes back underclocked?

My Aero14 is currently being RMA'd by them for videocard issues.

Thanks.

6. FidyYuan

FidyYuan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought I would give them a shot. I will NEVER ever buy anything from Gigabyte again.

I've owned my Aero 14 for a little over a year now and found some hardware defects showing up. I sent my Aero 14 laptop for RMA because my fan was faulty (very prevalent issue with Aero 14 and 15) along with keyboard backlighting issues. Oh and all the rubber feet fell off within a year. I double wrapped it in bubble wrap, put lots of kraft paper and shipped it in a sturdy new box that wasn't too big or too small via 2-day shipping.

After they received it, I see online that their RMA team says "No trouble found after tests with multiple configurations". I asked them to retest and now they tell me it has physical damage and want me to pay $270 for repairs. To make it even better, and they want me to EMAIL my credit card information to them.

7. wtkafe

wtkafe Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had a battery issue for a while now. Sorry if this issue has already been solved but there's so many pages here I can't look through all of them. Basically on a good day, my battery will deplete at <10 watts per hour, but occasionally (pretty frequent these days), the battery gets weird and starts depleting at around 40 watts per hour. The thing is whenever this happens, I'm never doing anything different from when it's depleting at 10 watts, so I can't figure out what the cause is. Even after closing all my programs and restarting my laptop the issue persists. I've tried for almost a year to find the cause, mostly by looking at task manager and ending anything that seems suspicious, but nothing has worked. I know about the emptyproject thing, which I got rid of when I first got the laptop.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Run the Task Manager Performance Monitor and watch CPU and Disk IO, sort by highest usage CPU and Read/Write, and watch for background processes.

Windows 10 has monitoring, telemetry logging, report making on a schedule, and uploading to god knows where all of your activity.

Then there's the indexing of the contents of all of your files - for search purposes.

Then there's the Windows Updates to add more background data collection and telemetry.

Then there's the frequent "security updates".

Then there's the background processes for all of the applications doing all of the above for their masters...

It's a busy world on an idle computer with Windows 10. :)

9. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    We're sorry for the inconvenience occurred and we will check internally to see what's going on

10. fedem

fedem Newbie

Reputations:
    A little late here.
    Has anyone had any luck installing the Smart Manager of newer models into this laptop?
    Also, is it worth it, or should I stick with the latest one for this model?

Thanks