NEW Aero 14 w/ GTX1060

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by ericheadlo, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Character Zero

Character Zero Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I signed up for Windows Insider Previews a while back and now my laptop is a bit unstable. Not a Gigabyte issue, but I am going to just blow it away and start over. I ran the fix to get the Recovery back working and I verified I can get into the F9 recovery on boot. I should just be able to use the Gigabyte recovery to get back to stock and set everything back up. I did make a USB when I got it but have moved since then and I have no idea where that is. anyone have an gotchas on using the F9 recovery. My Windows is updated pretty far past the stock build, but I assume it doesn't really matter. I will have to just download lots of updates.

Just an FYI. The Insider Builds were largely useless to me. I didn't really see any benefit and I didn't really care that I had those features ahead of public release. It totally broke VirtualBox which is a big reason I am trying to get back to stock.

Edit : Well that failed. Went into F9 and picked the Smart Recovery or whatever. It popped up a console window and did stuff and was done quick. Went back to screen that had Turn Off or Troubleshoot. Thought it was done, and turned off. Turned back on and nothing, boots to BIOS. So now doing a clean install from Windows 10 media. Hope it works.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. trashcan86

trashcan86 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just replying to those with the battery life issues: I'm not getting great battery life on Windows, but that's because I set all of the performance settings to "high performance" since I really only use Windows for gaming. I never disable the GPU in the BIOS, and use Arch Linux with TLP and Bumblebee while I'm working - this gets between 7-8hr of battery life (keyboard brightness off and screen brightness ~50-60%).

3. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I get about the same on Windows on Balanced.

EDIT: I thought this was the Aero 15 thread. I guess it's still comparable.

4. sahil04

sahil04 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. bruor

bruor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would install windows, then install the gigabyte smart update tool and only upgrade drivers that are missing or older if needed.

I get nvidia drivers directly from them, and for intel wifi/Bluetooth I get the network admin bundles so it doesn't load the proset software.

I do have blocked intel graphics updates from windows update using group policy because the latest drivers on windows update as of around 6 mos ago do not allow brightness control to work once installed.

sahil04 likes this.
  6. sahil04

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response, do you happen to have a link to the network admin bundles (or are they the ones on the gigabyte website? I don't use the preloaded network software either).

Also, is it simple to block windows update from updating the graphics driver?

7. bruor

Reputations:
    Not really simple to block the driver update. I haven't tested the latest Intel updates either so you might find that the windows update delivered versions work.

Search intel wifi (and Bluetooth) network admin
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27618

You probably want WiFi_20.40.0_Driver64_Win10.zip

sahil04 likes this.
  8. sahil04

Reputations:
    I appreciate the help, one last question: Does this laptop come with a hidden recovery partition to restore to factory default?

Just want to confirm so when I install Win 10 Pro I will not overwrite the hidden partition.

Thanks again.

9. bruor

Reputations:
    I can't remember

10. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes it does. I think you can back it up using Gigabyte's USB Backup tool.

sahil04 and bruor like this.