NEW Aero 14 w/ GTX1060

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by ericheadlo, Oct 31, 2016.

1. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mind helping me with that?

2. iambalaji

iambalaji Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @HussainQ Sure, Will share it when I write it .
    My GPU fan isn't spinning as fast as the CPU fan, so it heated up pretty quick. Thanks to Pascal and GPU Boost 3.0, it throttles itself down visibly right from 70C. While the replacement fans are on their way , I tried a few things.
    - Undervolted CPU Core and Cache to -0.125v and iGPU to -0.077v . Now the processor hovers at 0.924V @ 3.4 Ghz comfortably
    - Undervolted the 1060 with After burner , now it runs at a constant 1735Mhz at a much lower 0.862V, under 75C. Earlier it used to shoot upto 84C due to my faulty fan with itself throttling down to as low as 1500 Mhz.
    - Set the Smart Manager fan to a fixed 80% when the laptop is at full load. BIOS has set the fan curve to keep the fans as quiet as possible , but all I want is a cooler laptop.
    I have also ordered kryonaut from thermal grizzly, its the safest and the best TIM in the market. With a proper re-paste, new fan and with above undervolts , I think there would be a difference of 10-15C between the stock and mine. Voltage Curve.PNG

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  3. bruor

bruor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Heads up, after reseating my wifi card it worked for a few weeks great and issues have returned. Event viewer is spammed with nic/driver failure messages whenever I wake the machine from sleep and sometimes I have to reboot to get wifi even listed in device manager.

I ordered a 9260ngw M.2 card on ebay and will report here if it works or doesn't etc. It's basically the updated version of the 8260 that came in my skylake unit, except it has BT5 and mu-mimo. Only issue is that I have to wait for it to get here from China because it's literally the only place I could find them.

ibd likes this.
  4. makrotonik

makrotonik Newbie

Reputations:
    Disabling the GPU from the device manager does not shut it down entirely unless I shut it down from the bios. I have battery bar installed and have done some testing:

GPU disabled in device manager: ~2.5hrs battery life/ 20,000mW discharge rate idle, laptop runs about 60c idle
    GPU disabled in bios: ~7hrs battery life/ 10,000mW discharge rate idle, laptop runs about 35c idle

Is it required for me to disable the gpu entirely in the bios in order for me to get > 3hrs battery life? I have a fresh copy of windows installed on my laptop with updated drivers and smart manager enabled. I barely get over 2 hours with the gpu enabled and my battery discharge rate is well north of 25kmW idle. It seems like my gpu is in an always running state

5. bruor

Reputations:
    I've not had to disable my GPU to get long run times. I've been able to squeeze 9 hours of work out of my skylake unit by using throttlestop to undervolt and keep clock speeds low + run in silent fan mode.

6. makrotonik

makrotonik Newbie

Reputations:
    I do have a kabylake unit, but I doubt that is the issue - I suspect I may have a faulty unit then. The battery life i'm getting is nowhere near advertised. I'll be RMA'ing this unit shortly

What kind of cpu temps are you seeing ?

Do you mind sharing the steps on how you set up throttlestop for undervolting/clocking? I'd like to give that a try also

7. bruor

Reputations:
    We have different CPUs so not sure if mine would be helpful but I undervolt by 150mv on cpu and chipset.

The only other thing I did was to kill the process that keeps the GPU active. There's as nvidia tool that will show you if any processes are keeping the GPU alive so you can stop them. Early on gigabyte included an app that automatically kept the GPU active constantly to get rid of the small pauses than happen when you do things in windows like right click your desktop.

8. Ranrick

Ranrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys!

I see you have troubles with your battery life. So I wanna try to help you with that.
    First of all, check with Nvidia GPU activity monitor if something is running it. There you can see as well, why your Nvidia is active or deactivate. If you only do casual office work without programming, video/picture editing or gaming, your should be able to reach around 7 - 10 hours of battery life.

Here are some tips how to increase your battery life:

1. Windows Power Management:
    Go to the CPU setting and set for "Power saver" mode your max CPU speed around 40-60% (depends on you, how much battery you need). At first I had mine at 50%, 3 months later i set it on 60% because I never drained the battery lower than 20% per day, so I wanted to have a little bit more performance.
    Whenever you want long battery life, use "Power saver" mode. If you want a decent performance laptop, then use "Balanced" where I can recommend 100% max CPU speed.

Max CPU speed.png

2. Nvidia GPU activity monitor:
    As I already mentioned, look if something is running your Nvidia GPU. There was an old version of SmartManager who run all the time the Nvidia GPU and drained a lot of battery. Another program who likes to use it is "Microsoft Windows Photo.exe". You can end it via Task Manager, then your Nvidia GPU should shut down again.

How to activate Nvidia GPU Icon.png

So get the Nvidia GPU activity monitor icon in your task bar, right click on your desktop and open Nvidia systems. Then click on the top-down menu "desktop" and check mark it. There you go, now you can see every time your Nvidia GPU is active and which program is using it.

taskbar Nvidia GPU icon.png

3. Disabling keyboard light
    At daylight, just disable keyboard light. It consumes around 1-2 Wh. Just use it, when daylight is not reachable for you.

4. Dimm your screen brightness
    Using my screen brightness at 100% costs around 3-4 Wh more energy than 50% screen brightness. I recommend 50%, only at very bright days you should use more than 50% screen brightness.

5. Check your background apps.
    Use Task manager and check which apps are running. Do you need them? Do you need them to be active when starting your Laptop? There is a very high potential to reduce your energy consumption.

battery consumption.png

That's it. I hope I could help you with your battery life.

9. makrotonik

makrotonik Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Ranrick,

Thanks for the reply. I've already implemented most of the suggestions, yet my battery life was still not so great.

The solution for my battery life solution was to undo my stock windows 10 refresh and go back to the Aero 14 recovery image! Since doing this my battery life has improved drastically and I no longer need to disable the 1060 GPU from the bios to get > 6hrs of battery life with moderate use(after killing emptyproject1.exe and doing some optimizations). Maybe its just my imagination but it also seems like the keyboard is more responsive and so is the touch pad.

Whats also interesting is that I see LESS battery discharge with the GPU ENABLED in device manager that I do with it disabled (9mW vs 20mW)

As you said, keeping an eye out to make sure there are no rogue processes using the gpu when you don't need them running also helps a lot with battery life

For anyone who has done a fresh stock install of windows 10 and seeing issues, I would recommend trying to restore to the stock Aero 14 image using the GIGABYTE Smart Recovery tool, disable the emptyproject exe, optimize your battery settings and actually keep the gpu enabled. This seems to have fixed most of the problems I've had and I'm glad I did not have to RMA to get a much improved battery life performance

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  10. Tensus

Tensus Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, everyone. I've got this laptop recently, but I ran into many issues with it.

1) First of all, it dropped wifi connection every 5 minutes (the temporary solution I found is to restrict windows from switching the adapter off for power saving, but I don't know how does it affect the battery life). I read that some people experienced the same issue, but is it persistent in all units?

2) It had a lot of complete freezes and BSOD's, I probably solved it by completely resetting windows from the system menu (in particular, wiping all the preinstalled bloatware).

3) The keyboard, the most frustrating part for me. Many people write that it doesn't register many presses if they are not right in the center of the keys, but this I can somehow live with, also "\" key squeaks loudly when pressed and registers even less and left shift being annoying, because even though it's big, it's press-zone is pretty small.

But the main issue - is double key registering aka chattering. It happens with more then half of the keys randomly with total percentage about 1-5% when typing (I checked statistics with some app). It also happens on linux, meaning it's a hardware problem. Does anyone experience the same thing? Is there workaround, or should I return my unit as defective? Also, there are no such problems with an external keyboard.

Also it seems that there is an issue with external monitors, but I don't have access to one of them to check. What is the status of the problem now?

Did you experience some other long-term problems with it? Now I'm think of returning it (because of the keyboard, at least), but I'm not sure whether I should replace it with the same model. I really like how powerful and portable it is.