NEW Aero 14 w/ GTX1060

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by ericheadlo, Oct 31, 2016.

1. bberry110

bberry110 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, yes it is for the Aero 14 (i7-7700HQ)

2. XH558

XH558 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks good. Does tick a lot of boxes. But not sure I can live with a 1050 having had a 1060. Dilema for sure!

3. XH558

XH558 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any views on the Dell XPS 9560. Its a step down with a 1050, but does look like it ticks most other boxes.

Sent from my Plus E using Tapatalk

4. z0mgn0es

z0mgn0es Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    New owner of the Aero 14 -- Love the notebook and everything. But I've been experiencing a small issue/concern with my unit. Anytime I put it into sleep mode, it'll eventually wake itself up even though the lid is closed. There were times where I would go from my house to work and pull out my laptop only to find that it's already on and running warm within the backpack.

Are there wake timers enabled from Gigabyte by default with these machines? Anything I should know?

5. Reader165

Reader165 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, if you play low end games like overwatch/csgo/starcraft...etc like me. Try out the Whisper mode available with the newest graphics driver, it works by putting a hard cap on the frames in these games to prevent 1060 from using excess gpu power. I am seeing lower heat (50~55 degrees Celsius for sc, and csgo @90 fps) and around 55~60 for OW @ 70 fps. The fans do not kick in often and most of the time rpm is that of "Normal" in smart manager. You can customize the frame limit in NVidia control panel in 3D management. The default are usually between 45~60 so if you want a little bit more, you can change that.

HussainQ and bberry110 like this.
  6. stylo

stylo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could you please specify which driver version and provide a link, smart update is inop on my laptop even after reinstall.
    Smart update error 0x7B

Can someone help to solve this ?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  7. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I really didn't know about this. Though, I play Overwatch at native resolution in windowed borderless mode, and the fan noise did not change. However switching to 1080p fullscreen did the trick and lowered the fan noise significantly (my graphics settings for the game is still at very high/epic as I didn't optimise the game for whisper mode!).
    I am yet to test more demanding games like Doom and Arkham Knight, but so far everything seems promising.

8. stylo

Reputations:
    Driver version ?

9. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For whisper mode? I believe it's 384.94 (22.21.13.8494). If you want to use Smart Update for that, I recommend you don't as it has outdated drivers for the gpu. Instead download it directly from Nvidia or use GeForce Experience.

10. stylo

Reputations:
    thanks for the input. I will not insist then with this smart update.

By the way, what sound driver are you using ? I have realteak 6.0.1.8205 and have issues as well.

-Loudspeakers are mute time to time after sleep or hibernate mode randomly. need a restart.

-With some sound event, the mouse/trackpad freeze for a short moment.

Can someone tell if, for example, starting a program in admin mode will freeze the cursor once the sound is playing ?