NEW Aero 14 W/ 1050 ti AND Thunderbolt 3

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Michael Bacon, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobonHood

RobonHood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So Against probably my better judgement I jumped on the Aero 14 1050 Ti train to see if its worth its salt as an upgrade. Just got it in today and will be putting it through its paces this weekend and next week once my E-GPU box gets in. I've also got a Dell Latitude 5480 on the way to compare against in the EGPU department and to see if the extra 2MB in L3 between the 7700HQ and 7820HQ are worth the investment. I'll keep everyone posted as it goes :)

sicily428 likes this.
  2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    what egpu?

3. RobonHood

Reputations:
    Went with the Mantiz Venus setup and will be testing with a 1080/1080Ti in it once it gets here. They just seemed to have the more full featured unit and the ability possibly to modify the chassis is too tempting to pass up.

sicily428 likes this.
  4. sicily428

Reputations:
    do you know egpu.io?

5. RobonHood

Reputations:
    Yea I've been on there for a little while, I was originally in the 50 group buy for these but due to getting hit by a car back in march it pulled my chances of getting one til now. Been following along on their progress since then though.

6. Sugil1844

Sugil1844 Newbie

Reputations:
    @RobonHood I think its worth the price. It has TB3, extra ssd slot, and calibrated screen in exchange for lower graphics card. I cannot think of any thin lightweight laptops with GTX 1050ti, TB3, and a long battery life. This laptop will appeal to people who cannot afford Dell 15 inch XPS or Macbook Pro.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  7. sicily428

Reputations:
    Do you know that thunderbolt3 could be a bottleneck for those gtx1080/1080ti?

8. H20Life

H20Life Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If I order from Newegg, will I get the fully black version of the laptop?

9. RobonHood

Reputations:
    I'm aware of the loss in performance over the x4 vs x16 lanes but haven't followed too closely of any other issues. I'm mainly just testing more than anything, I really just want to make sure the thunderbolt port is the full x4 instead of the x4 PCIE 2 issue that's apparently being fixed on the Aero 15 now.

Currently that's the only model they have available it is the carbon fiber and black model not the all black model though. Has an orange accent stripe between the carbon and matte black.

I definitely having handled the device agree that yes, its a very good machine I still think at the price point though it's a little high. If it still carried the 512gb ssd I think there would be room to argue but as I see it it's essentially a P34G v7 (Which never existed but should have) with aluminum build. It really needs to be about $150 cheaper to be a Guaranteed Recommendation in my eyes or come with the larger ssd.

10. H20Life

H20Life Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you know when the fully black model will be available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.