New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayJohnson

RayJohnson Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This may have already been mentioned in this thread, but I'm assuming that a USB wifi card is not a good option as a replacement for this laptop? How hard is it to replace the wifi card?

2. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This video will help you decide the disassembly needed to replace the wifi card:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl8dd7R555s

3. ssalgadom

ssalgadom Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, after doing a lot of research, reading through forums, reviews and videos, with a budget around $1000 - $1300 USD, I came to the following gaming/workstation laptop options:

Acer
    Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition
    VN7-591G-74SK (Link)
    $1,300 USD

MSI
    GE Series
    GE60 Apache Pro-003 (Link)
    $1,250 USD

ASUS
    ROG GL551 series
    GL551JM-DH71 (Link)
    $1,100 USD

Lenovo
    Y50 Series
    59426157 (Link)
    $1,100 USD

All sold by Newegg or Amazon - It's important to get the exact model right, because there are many differences by brands and similar models.

----

First is important to know what is the use you will be giving to this laptop, will it be a replace for your desktop? will you need mobility? will also be used in business meetings? - In my case I am looking for an affordable gaming/workstation laptop, as I work within programming, multimedia, web design, and also like to enjoy a couple games every once in a while, even tough I don't play all the latest games, if in the near future one of the new games attracts me I want this laptop to be able to run it!.

Saying that, I have decided to go for the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-74SK, here my Pros and Cons for each one:

Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-74SK:
    Pros: IPS Screen, comes with 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD and 256 SSD (SSD really improves things), looks elegant and not too bulky (as I will be using it in business meetings), Back-lit Keyboard, two back ventilation fans.
    Cons: Seems people are having issues with the pre-installed wifi card, if that's the case I will replace it with an Intel 7260NGW or similar, that is only about $30 USD more and is really easy to replace. The 1TB HDD is only 5200rpm. Hard to access the battery and replace things as the HDD or RAM.

MSI GE Series GE60 Apache Pro-003:
    Pros: IPS Screen, 1TB HDD 7200rpm, DVD±RW/CD-RW (You never know when you need it), Steel Series Gaming Backlit Keyboard (Multicolor), 2x USB 3.0 and 2x USB 2.0
    Cons: For almost the same price of the Acer, only comes with 8GB of RAM and no SSD (not sure if in the future you can add it without losing the HDD), only one ventilation fan in the left side. Also looks more bulky and I am not too fan of the "Gaming G Series" logo with the dragon. (Remember I will be taking this computer to business meetings, most of the times with people I don't know, so it is important not to show a mis-impression)

ASUS ROG GL551 series GL551JM-DH71:
    Pros: Price, 1TB HDD 7200rpm, DVD±RW/CD-RW, 16GB of RAM, Backlit Keyboard, easy access to the battery.
    Cons: No IPS screen, no SSD (not sure if in the future you can add it), only one ventilation fan in the left side, weight, also looks a little bit bulky, not too fan of the "Republic of Gamers" logo.

Lenovo Y50 Series 59426157:
    Pros: Price, 16GB of RAM, Backlit Keyboard, thin and elegant.
    Cons: Heard terrible things of the non-IPS Screen, 1TB HDD is only 5200rpm, only 8GB of SDD (But could be upgradeable).

---
    All of this options include an Intel Quad-core Processor 4710HQ/4700HQ 6MB L3 Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M, 15.6" Screen Size, DDR3L 1600 RAM, SD card reader, HD Webcam, Kensington lock, at least 3x USB ports and standard HDMI.

Of course i have not consider other things as, the speakers (few computers are great on this), the trackpad (I use most of the time an external mouse), heating (is normal for a laptop to heat if you play top spec games), battery (is a gaming laptop, don't expect more than 3 hours and if you are gaming the laptop will perform better if it is plugged in), Brand (You can find great, good, bad and terrible experiences with different models of each one of this brands).
    ---

So as I always said to family and friends that ask me to recommend a laptop, first ask yourself what it will be used for?!

Really enjoy reading you guys and wanted to share my overview, will be buying the Acer model in a couple days and after a couple weeks of using it will come back to share the experience.

4. vortexmak

vortexmak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you know how this non-IPS display compares to Asus GL551 or Lenovo Y50 ?

5. vortexmak

vortexmak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It seems neither the Acer Nitro model you listed above nor the MSI model have IPS displays.

If you check Acer website and even NewEgg specs page , there is no mention of IPS. The 15 inch HD models seem to have TN displays
    Acer | Laptops | Models
    Only two of the 15" 1366x768 models have IPS.

This is also confirmed by joshva. He has the model which I am looking at VN7-591G-74LK

6. ssalgadom

ssalgadom Newbie

Reputations:
    I believe there is models with and without IPS screens, the Acer VN7-591G-74SK in Newegg is cheaper than in Acer website and under "Overview" they specify it has Full HD IPS Display, attached a print screen.

Thats why I said is really important that you get the exact model you are looking for, so you know exactly what you are getting. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

7. ConteZero

ConteZero Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm going to buy a 480GB M500 M.2 "drive" for my Nitro 791 ( NX.MQRET.007 ), will it fit ?

8. RayJohnson

RayJohnson Notebook Guru

Reputations:

The model I purchased was the Aspire V Nitro VN7-591G-75NJ from the Acer Website. It is no longer available on there wesbsite right now because it is out of stock, but it was an IPS screen with 12GB of ram 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD. ($1199)

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/pd/ThemeID.35703000/productID.308686600

9. RayJohnson

RayJohnson Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Please do let me know how the wifi card replacment goes, I think I'm going to keep mine and I hope I don't regret this. I have been thinking hard about this, and the only other option for me is the GL551 and I could have bought that a long time ago if i wanted to. Although the build quality of the GL551 is probably a little bit more solid, it's bulkier, lacks the SSD & HDD option, and isn't IPS. I do think this Acer laptop is pretty decent and very portable, this wifi issue is annoying however. The biggest difference in speed for me seems to be when I change my router settings from "Mixed" to "8011.g only". I seem to be getting consistently around 8-11 MPBS download speed when I do that. In comparison I'm running a Nexus Tablet of my wifi in the same location I get about 8-14mpbs with it. The laptop should be getting much better speeds than a tablet that doesn't have a full wireless chip I would think. Anyway hopefully those speeds will get me by until I have time to replace the wifi chip. I need to be writing programs right now really don't have time to fool with it, and I seem to get a little bit higher speeds maybe above 15mpbs at times, in the next room closer to my router in my house.

10. MikeyJo

MikeyJo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all!
    I got the Acer Aspire VN7 571G-535R with a full HD IPS Screen 500GB Harddrive and 128GB SSD for 799€. More specifications can be found here: Acer Aspire VN7-571G-535R Notebook i5-4210U SSD Full HD GF 840M Windows 8.1 (I am sorry, it is a German website)
    Anyways, I have the same Wifi issues which where reported before. I installed the tool inSSIDer and looked at the RSSI values. I got about -30 close to my router and -65/-70 at the other end of my flat. The speed drops significantly and I only get up to 2000 kbps whereas I get 8000kbps close to my router (which is the optimum I can get from my provider). Unfortunately, my router does not support 802.11ac but only a,b,g and n. I considered to buy the Intel Wifi card mentioned before and exchange it with the existing Atheors one. However, as my router does no support 802.11ac, I am not sure if I would benefit from the change. What do you think? Is it worth trying and will I get higher download rates with the Intel card even though I don't use ac? Are there any alternatives?

Since someone asked for Display information: With HWiNFO I got for the monitor specifications
    Monitor Name: LG Philips [Unknown Model: LGD0443]
    Monitor Name: LG Display LP156WF4-SPK1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.