New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nons_

nons_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The WiFi really sucks. But other than that, I would disagree. My screen is very bright, so much that I have to reduce the brightness to work comfortably for a longer time. The power connector is very firm (you actually have to push it in with quite a bit of force, perhaps you didnt do that). The trackpad is OK, although I really miss a dedicated Synaptics settings tabs in the control panel. I forced the original driver via reboot to unsigned driver installation, but it still doesn't show up. On the other hand, I think the keyboard is OKish but not very good. I had a Vaio chiclet before that and it was a lot better. However, it does its job. Just have to get used to it.

Overall: I would not purchase this laptop again, solely due to the WiFi issues. I can replace the card and void my warranty while spending more money, without a guarantee of success, that kind of sucks for a newly bought four-figure machine. I'm considering getting a USB nano adapter, just I have no idea whether those are actually any good (for instance Asus N-10 nano wifi).

I'm using the i7 ULV with GTX850M variant, and I tried gaming a bit, Crysis 2 runs smooth at high details on Full HD, and the battery lasts about 5-6 hours with things that don't squeeze the CPU. If I use high-res flash playback, it drops to 3.5 - 4 hours.

2. shockre91

shockre91 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    why would you void your warranty with replacing wifi card?
    shop where i bought mine replaced RAM and HDD for me and said that i can replace wifi card if i want to or bring it to them. i replaced it by myself. you dont even have to remove the top case/keyboard fully, just lift it up.
    there are no warranty seals on anything like that.

i would buy this laptop again, because there is no alternative. i dont want asus n551/g551 that are 50% thicker and heavier and with ODD.
    i am not 100% satisfied with my purchase because i had to replace wifi card, but everything else i very good.

3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Don't do that. Nano card will have a nano antenna and only one at that (like Asus N10 does). Normally you have two antennas in the screen and whichever way you turn one antenna should have a pretty good line of sight. With a nano card placed in the lower part of the notebook you end up with limited range, it's easy to obstruct the line of view and even of you are on top of the router you still end up using one spatial stream (so theoretical speed of up to 150mbps which you'll obviously never reach).

I'm afraid your only way from here is an upgrade to an internal card.

Agreed - Acer doesn't have warranty seals so it's not a problem to replace a Wi-Fi card. That said - they do allow for upgrades when a notebook has a service hatch giving you access to basic components. They may be opposed to it if it requires at least partial disassembly. If you do upgrade, keep the old card and place it back in the notebook if you ever need to send it for repairs.

4. nons_

nons_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm less worried about super fast speed, but actual connectivity. if the nano USB wifi is as bad as this, they might as well not bother selling it. If there are nice antennas built in why is the reception so so bad? That's basic physics. So if the antennas are not to blame, the nano USB could/should still do better. Mind you, I'm not looking for super strong reception with high throughput, just for a stable connection to a router 5 metres away that any of my other devices easily maintains (6 year old Vaio, 5 year old netbook, tablet, smartphone).

5. RayJohnson

RayJohnson Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I have not been able to resolve my wifi issues. I'm getting 0.1-2 mbps (usually less than 1mbps) download speeds in the room furthest away from my router in the house. My house is not that big and I have no problem getting 10mbps or higher on other devices in the same room in the house. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wifi drivers through the Acer Recovery program but it didn't help me at all.

I don't agree with the other guy who claims this is the worst screen he has seen, and that this laptop overall is cheap and terrible, I think he is a little biased. It seems pretty well built, the power cord I don't see as a major issue. The battery life on this machine does suck that would be my second biggest con, and it does run a little warm but not excessively and it's not surprising that it would run warm considering how thin it is. Trackpad doesn't seem so great either but I think I'm getting used to it.

The wifi issues however are unacceptable, easily replaceable or not, replacing the wifi card on a $1000+ machine as soon as I get it should not be something I have to worry about. If I don't find a resolution to this, I will send it back, the 6-7 year old laptop I was using previously works fine with my router in the same room I was using this laptop in. I've already contacted Acer and informed them I intend to return this due to the wifi and battery issues.

6. downloads

Reputations:
    @nons_
    It is basic physics indeed but you are twisting it ;)- decent antennas are required for good reception but are no guarantee of good reception hence you may end up with bad one even with good antennas (if your card is crap for example) but you can't have good reception without proper antennas, regardless of how good the card is.

Another thing is that I'm not sure if reception is actually bad - my guess is that it is fine by itself but the card is very bad hence it struggles regardless of how good signal quality and strength is. It's true that this nano card can give you better usability than the one you already have - it would be hard not to, but it's not the best way to go.

If you want to have actually decent performance you might have to replace the card with a proper internal one.

@all

Can you give me a detailed run down of what settings did you fiddle with as far as Wi-Fi goes? Did anyone look at advanced driver settings available through device manager? Can you provide a screenshot of those settings the way they were by default?

ellalan likes this.
  7. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here you go downloads,
    qualcomm poop.jpg
    Click on it to make it bigger, idk how to make it bigger in post.....

8. downloads

Reputations:
    Thanks macknewm.

I expected a bit more settings to fiddle with but there is at least one that you should attend to - make sure that "Dynamic MIMO Powersave" is set to "disable".
    Another thing that you might tweak is "scan valid interval" - this is the number of seconds the card takes between it starts scanning for a better access point. Meaning it will start scanning every minute with default settings, which typically affects performance (mostly pings rather than throughput though, so it's most likely not the culprit). Still you may safely increase this value to 300.

Another thing to check is in advanced power settings of your Windows power plan. There should be "wireless adapter settings" there - make sure it's set to no power-saving/high performance. Anyone not knowing what I'm on about - see here (instructions for something else but screen-shots lead where you should go).

If this doesn't help either I'll have some more questions for you guys.

9. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've ordered an Intel 7260 AC and it suppose to arrive today but unfortunately I wont have time to install it till Thursday. Regarding the settings you mentioned, I had found information about turning off the power saving stuff in both places via Google by searching the wireless card that is default in this laptop. I have also tried changing those other settings you mentioned but they did not help. In the end for some odd reason a full system restore improved it the most and its somewhat usable now just not completely adequate. I get about half my home internet connection speed 10 MBPS down vs. the 20 MBPS, I should be getting.

10. Altrove

Altrove Newbie

Reputations:
    Now i'm really scared to buy this laptop...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.