New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayJohnson

RayJohnson Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    But how far away from your router are you using your laptop?

Ok I didn't see this before but I had found the Acer Recovery Management software anyway. I was wondering why the drivers in the recovery would be newer than the ones that it came with, doesn't make sense, but you are saying it's possible that something went wrong with the installation that it just needs to do a system restore? I tried doing a repair/modify with just the wireless drivers in the Acer Recovery Management software didn't seem to help.

2. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you read my post carefully, I said how to access the drivers in the recovery partition.

3. RayJohnson

RayJohnson Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I saw, my speeds appear to have dropped after I did the repair/modify. I previously had downloaded and installed a driver from the website below ( i think you sent the link) that may have increased my speeds from what they were when I first used the laptop not sure but regardless, the increase is not enough for me to be satisfied with. When I first got it I was unable to use the internet period at times with download speeds well below 1mbps almost always. I will try the system recovery next I guess. All you did is select restore factory settings right?

Qualcomm/Atheros Wireless Lan Drivers Version 10.0.0.298 WHQL

4. RayJohnson

RayJohnson Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Did you figure out a solution to yours? What are you going to do?

5. vortexmak

vortexmak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was looking at the Asus N550JK, the Lenovo Y50 . Thankfully I found this Nitro series today.
    i7, 860M and IPS that's exactly what I needed.

I am now looking at this model
    Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-74LK Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2 GB GDDR5 15.6" Windows 8.1

However, the specs on neither Newegg, nor Acer website mention the display being an IPS. It's specified for other series laptop but not this one.
    Do we know for sure that the display is IPS ? especially for the VN7-591G-74LK model

6. eraddd

eraddd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I just got the Acer VN7-591G-75S2 and it's on its way to my house. However, now that I have, a bit of worry settles in. I was wondering how prevalent the wifi issues were on this laptop and how easy of a fix they are. Did people find it a matter of just updating drivers (read through the thread, I haven't seen any confirmation that the drivers actually fixed the issue from any posters) or was it a matter of replacing the Wifi chip on the laptop itself? How difficult is it to replace a wifi chip?

Cheers guys

7. jngrcm

jngrcm Newbie

Reputations:
    I wonder if i will void warranty if decide to buy a new wifi module and replace it myself?

8. Joshva

Joshva Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have the Acer Aspire V Nitro Black 15 inch. I have had it for 4 days and tested it thoroughly.

Cons
    * The built in Wifi card sucks. 1) It maxes out around 30mb and 2) It drops to about 5mb at times until you restart.
    * The screen is terrible. It is the worst i've had in many years. It is very very dark. My eyes really hurt looking at it. Does anyone else have this issue?
    * The power connector to the laptop is very flimsy. It feels like after a couple of plugging it in and out it will snap off
    * Very hard to maintain, if you open it up, the keyboard has to be taken off before you can really access the parts.
    * The track pad is really hard to slide your finger over. Makes using it a real pain
    * It runs hot under the right palm rest (the hdd is there)

Pros
    * The material used on the case doesn't collect fingerprints
    * The keyboard is very good

Upgrades
    * Intel 7260AC - I replaced the default wifi card with this and it is phenomenal. I now get 50mb reliably with low ping
    * Samsung EVO 840 SSD - I replaced the hard drive with this

Overall
    * I would not purchase this laptop. It is exactly what you would expect. Cheap crap - I would strongly advise avoiding it. Even if you think the price is good. You get what you pay for.

ellalan and fabiodiazs like this.
  9. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing your experience :thumbsup:

10. shockre91

shockre91 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you should RMA your laptop. my screen and power connector are perfectly fine. it doesnt overheat and trackpad is normal.
    only thing that sucks about this laptop is wifi card, which can be replaced in 5 minutes for $20-30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.