New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockre91

shockre91 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i found it on ebay

2. nons_

nons_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok, so I got the VN7-571G in the end, as battery life is more important to me (if it's so low as 3 hours for the quadcore). I asked in the shop and was told the model was built identically, as they only had a 591G on display. Now I noticed there's an ODD instead of the second fan - I'm worried about whether or not there's an M.2 slot in this model, as it is on the left side roughly where the ODD is on the 591G. I can't open it up if I plan to return it, but if there is an M.2 slot there is no need for me to, does anyone have any insight whether the 571G model got an M.2 slot?

Edit: Ok at first I was super happy with this laptop. The screen, performance, build etc. all are awesome. But the mentioned Wifi problems... I can't believe it. It just doesn't work. I'm sitting perhaps five metres away from the router separated by one wooden door, and the speed hovers between 0kb/s to 200kb/s. Once I walk towards the router it works fine. I have a netbook and ancient Sony laptop that work fine there! Oh my :( why did I not believe this problem was so severe

3. usyed1

usyed1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've seen this problem go away with full wifi Driver wipe and re-installation on certain other V3/V5 acer's... did you try that? Also honestly, and people are going to call me crazy for this but certain routers quite honestly do not work well with certain wifi modules... i've seen this time and time again. Try a friends router.

4. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Tried that on mine, didnt work. Just ordered the Intel 7260 that fits it for my self. Also, i get the same speed results on both my college and home WiFi.

5. nons_

nons_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did try that. Tried disabling power saving modes as well, installing the latest drivers, nothing. I can't even watch twitch or play starcraft from the table where my old computer downloaded stuff at 2-3 mb/s. I feel I bought a worthless computer.

The shop I bought it from offers a replacement if I bring it back within 7 days, but of the same model. Are there people whose Wifi does not suck on the VN7? Might it be worth it to have it exchanged?

6. jngrcm

jngrcm Newbie

Reputations:
    I just bought two VN7-591G and both of them have Wifi issues, really poor signal. They cant even establish a connection where my 5 years old laptop has 3/4 signal bars.

The UP arrow keyboard key seems loose on both of them.. anyone has this problem?

Last but not least, one of them also has a pixel acting funny, which shows only black and green colors depending on the image showing on its vertical line :/

7. RayJohnson

RayJohnson Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Other than the wifi have you had any other issues? I've been having issues with freezing/crashing but I assume that's mostly related to the instability of windows 8 since it happens when I'm using stuff like explorer. I thought I was having serous wifi issues, but I recently purchased a new router so I thought it was a possibility that it could be the culprit, but since everyone else seems to be having the same problem I'm highly concerned. I used the wifi at my girlfriend's place and it worked well, but I was sitting right next to where her wifi is located. In my house a small to moderate sized house the speed was horrible if i was a significant distance away from the router. I will have to try it again, I downloaded the driver Thursday but haven't used it at my place much since then, I assumed it was working since it worked well at her place but I forgot i was sitting next to the wifi. This is a serious issue I may have to consider returning it and getting the Asus GL551. The other thing that really sucks is the battery life.

I've contacted Acer about returning it and mentioned the wifi issues that I and everyone else has been experiencing so I will see what they say.

8. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Try installing the drivers for the WiFi saved in the laptop recovery partion. They seem to be newer than the ones on Acers website and improved my WiFi speed and signal some after installing them, turning off power saving, and rebooting. You can find the recovery partion drivers by going to the start screen and type recovery and its called Acer Recovery Management. That is if you didnt uninstall that access tool thinking it was bloatware! Also, I was having explorer.exe crashes and etc but I did a full system restore(like that would fix anything on a new computer) like Acer suggested to fix the WiFi issues and It turned out something in the Windows install must have been bad on a new computer because that made the speed on WiFi somewhat better and fixed the explorer.exe crashes.

9. Cygnus X

Cygnus X Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i got the 15" nitro, and have had no problems with wifi, on 5ghz it connects with 300mbps, and copying from my desktop (wired) to the nitro (wifi) about 100gb (my steam folder, so both small and large files) it averaged about 11MB/s (300mbps is about 37MB/s tops) not impressive but no errors, i redid test at 2.4ghz still no problems...so i suppose next is furmark+prime95 and see if heat kills the wifi

10. RayJohnson

RayJohnson Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Where is the recovery partition? When i test my wifi speed from one room in my house I get from between 0.1 - 2 MBPS download speed and between 1-2 MBPS upload speed. When I move to the room closer to the router I get between 10-25 MbPS download and between 5-7 MBPS upload speed. I really don't want to have to send this laptop back and start all over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.