New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @macknewm

Why don't you keep it and replace the Wi-Fi card yourself. The problem seems to be the Atheros card - not with the notebook itself.
    If you do decide to do it- mind you that judging by the photos this notebook doesn't use mini-PCI Express card but rather new M.2 format so you'd be limited as to the choice of the card - you can get either Intel 7260 AC (which I don't recommend) or a brand new Killer N1525 (that will be overpriced for sure but far less than $300-400).

2. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    any idea on any other solutions or were to buy a killer 1525 in the usa?

3. downloads

Reputations:
    Apparently Killer 1525 is not available as separate card yet but these are already available in some notebooks (see here for details). These will turn up on Amazon or eBay pretty soon I suspect.

Apart from those two I can't think of any cards that use M.2 slots and are available and usable. Still if you are to lose so much money on sending the notebook back, I'd try to wait for Killer to turn up. Note that it will probably cost $100 or so, but overall it should be worth it. Initial feedback (see the thread I linked to) is good and it would still be cheaper than returning your laptop.

4. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    reading through here
    Acer Aspire V Nitro VN7-591G Disassembly | MyFixGuide.com
    Just found that the card in my nitro is really called a Atheros QCNFA222 but the driver it using is not for that?
    Any idea were to get the driver for a Atheros QCNFA222?

5. downloads

Reputations:
    Atheros AR5BWB222 and Atheros QCNFA222 are the same thing but it doesn't really matter since Atheros driver package supports all their drivers so it would intsll correct driver anyway.

6. shockre91

shockre91 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i couldnt wait for new atheros driver or for killter to be available so i got intel 7260 and it works good with default windows driver that got installed when i turned on the laptop.

7. FraPanz

FraPanz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    My Nitro v15 is arriving on monday. I'd like to know what exactly are the problem with the wifi chipset.
    Thank you ;)

8. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Where did you find a Intel 7260 M.2 Form Factor to buy?

9. nons_

nons_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm looking here in Singapore at two models, the 591G with 4710HQ and 860M, and a 571G with a 4510U and 850M (of unknown memory type). I'm really tempted to get either, but I'm worried about the battery life of the faster one. On the other hand I don't know how much slower a ULV dual core will be in real world usage. Obviously I want to use it for gaming, but I don't care too much of squeezing out the last bit of frames and resolution. But for a work intensive multitasking scenario, can the dual core cope?

10. downloads

Reputations:
    @nons_

You are worried about the wrong thing. ULV dual core will do fine in a work environment (unless you have a job that requires a lot of computing power). It won't do very well in games though, especially paired with 850M (which is bound to be DDR3).

The spec you mention are pretty much identical to Aspire V5-573G so compare gaming performance between those two:

1. V5-573G Acer Aspire V5-573G-54218G1Taii Notebook Review Update - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
    2. VN7-591G Acer Aspire V15 Nitro (VN7-591G-77A9) Notebook Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Few examples - (all Ultra settings 860M+4710 vs 850M+ULV)

Bioshock Infinite 41fps vs 25 fps
    Thief 24 fps vs 15 fps
    Batman: Arkham Origins 47fps vs 28fps
    Tomb Raider 44fps vs 30fps

Granted there is some minor difference between Intel Core i5-4210U that was tested in v5-573G and 4510U that is available in the notebook you've mentioned but that won't change the outcome. ULV and 850M won't be nowhere near close in terms of gaming performance so it won't be squeezing out the last bit of frames, it will be struggling at FHD with modern games.

As for office-related jobs on the other hand ULV will be fine and battery life should be far better on this notebook than on a quad core.
    If you are not much of a gamer ULV+850 will be a fine choice, if you are however it would be a bad one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.