New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReVaS

ReVaS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought my V15 at a local store in Lithuania. Just thought i would give you the price for reference, so you know other stores are not ripping you off or smthg :)

I think you (and some other people) are over-thinking things. 17 inch and 15 inch are part of the same series. The cooling will not be very different. I don't think any of us really cares if its 95 C under full load or 98 C. If you throttle 15 inch, you will throttle 17 inch as well. So just look at the specs which suit you better :)

zgintasz likes this.
  2. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thats not true the 17 inch model has the Dust Defender cooling system and the 15 inch does not!

3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Also there is no point comparing max temps of those notebooks since 15" unit had to throttle to keep the temps down while 17" didn't. If neither throttled that would be a fair game but otherwise it's pointless.

4. ReVaS

ReVaS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what I meant to say, is that under heavy load, both versions will throttle. Of course, 17 inch will throttle under heavier load.. but the difference between 15 inch or 17 inch load, under which they throttle - is not big enough to base your choice solely on that. I think it depends on what software you are using.

For example - i sometimes do molecular vibrations calculations with Monte Carlo method. No matter what CPU or laptop - it will throttle. Yes, 17 inch would probably finish my work 5-10% faster (because of better cooling), but when my calculations take a day or two - its not significant enough.

Or do you want to say, that 17inch cooling is so much better, that it wont throttle under any load?

5. Snepmeister

Snepmeister Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to buy an aspire nitro 591, but on acer.com it says that it has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and on comtech.de 1920 x 1080. ?

6. downloads

Reputations:
    Both resolution are available although just like with V5-573G 768p resolution is rather rare. In Europe it's mostly shops like MediaMarkt that want to keep the prices as low as possible that offer 768p.

f3br4 likes this.
  7. Snepmeister

Snepmeister Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. downloads

Reputations:
    It's a bit odd because the exact model number NX.MQLEV.001 should describe one particular configuration but it you look it up it shows mostly FHD versions but also some rare 768p units.

If I were you I'd try to contact them via e-mail for confirmation and then proceed - if it turns out they send you 768p version in the end you will be able to return it and you'll have e-mail confirmation on top of the specs on the website, if they try to dispute it.

9. Rabbanah

Rabbanah Newbie

Reputations:
    Depends on your work situation I guess. I work mainly from my desk, plugged in to an outlet and a 27" monitor. The farthest I take it is to another room for meetings, and 3-4 hours on battery will be fine for that as meetings never go over an hour. If you travel a lot, I can definitely see this not fitting your work situation because of the battery life and slightly large form-factor.

10. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    well, life sucks......
    got my v15 nitro today and i am having really bad wlan speed issues (2 mbps down, when everthing else on wlan in house can get 20 mbps down).
    using the driver provided for station drivers does not fix the issue.
    i guess im gonna have to return it to newegg and lose 300-400 dollars because they probably wont consider wlan issues like this as making the unit defective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.