New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macknewm

macknewm Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Two different versions are in stock on Newegg....
    Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-74SK Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 256GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2 GB GDDR5 15.6" Windows 8.1 - Newegg.com Price, 1299.99 USD
    Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-74LK Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2 GB GDDR5 15.6" Windows 8.1 - Newegg.com 1099.99 USD

What Sale Flyer is that from?

2. RayJohnson

RayJohnson Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is kind of off topic but being that the 15" laptops do not come with an optical drive, is anyone here purchasing an external drive? If so is it better to go with a DVD writer or Blue ray writer. I know blue rays used to be super expensive but they seemed to have dropped in price and hold significantly more data.

3. Cygnus X

Cygnus X Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    imho optical drives has lost the race to large capacity haddrives, both 3.5" large drives that can store as much as 8tb on a single disk, and small portable ones using 2.5" drives with 1tb....and if your looking for something like a flash thay too can be had quite large these days....and all 3 are bootable, and since vista or win7 you have been able to install windows from thumb drive/flash cards....

the only time im missing an optical drive is when i buy a game in store, and get dvd's, but given most games these days can be downloaded , i just use the activation code from the software and wait while it downloads....funny thing i installed wolfenstein from dvd's and it took forever, and then afterwards it went online to update, which was a considerable amount of data that needed to updated....so on the nitro, i just let steam web download, and it turned out to be faster that way...updates where already applied

for backups i use crashplan, their software is available for linux, mac , pc you name it....and it maxes out my upload most of the time...but i can then move data between computers where ever i am in the world (granted i got internet)

im very happy with my 15" nitro....most of all im happy i got the one with 256gb ssd...i have OS and steam on the ssd, and everything launches fast, a lot like my stationary gaming rig (3770/780ti/32gb/ssd512)...i did start by putting steam on the hdd, and that launched games ok, but i would be among the last ones to load a certain map...moved steam to ssd and problem solved

4. ziofonta

ziofonta Newbie

Reputations:
    I just have add an ssd msata Plextor PX-64M6M M.2 2280 SSD 256 GB . You need format factory 22x80mm. the ssd slot is easy of access on 15'' version, bit harder on 17'' (as mine) where you must disconnect more cables. here you can find intstructions on how to, it is not so difficult. (german language but you just need the video to understand how)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS6eAxTj7MQ&list=LLCgNSH-2iq8pXpnt0RXwNzw&index=5
    msata is at 9:17 in the video.
    you can move the whole win 8.1 operating system and program from the hybrid hdd to new ssd using paragon hard disk manager 14 very easily, it moves the system partition, creates it bootable, and align the ssd for best performance. I suggest to use this software after trying out at least 10 of them with no good results.

5. ziofonta

ziofonta Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the nitro 17 black edition. I'm not satisfied about the screen calibration. I cant calibrate decently to obtain a neutral white, just a pale yellow. I am using an asus external ips screen where colours are very well tuned, white is white. On this notebook, no way to obtain a decent white colour. Any suggestion?

6. alanchan

alanchan Newbie

Reputations:
    I saw that video too, but I don't understand what the video is talking about, as I don't read or speak German. Is it true that you need to open the laptop through the keyboard so that you could access to the ram and m2 ssd? You can't access to them through the bottom panel?
    thx~

7. jeromysteves

jeromysteves Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wanted to throw this in here.

I've had my V17 Black Edition for 2 days now and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Overall it's a beautiful looking laptop and has plenty of power.

The screen is very nice. It does have a very slight yellow tint to the whites and some backlight bleed. I have not attempted to adjust yet. On my main PC I have 2 27" Acer IPS screens and a 27" Korea w/ a Samsung PLS Panel and the screen in my V17 is pretty comparable.

I'm dual booting Win 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04. Works great for both. Only issue I had was with the trackpad on Ubuntu. It did not work at all. In case anyone else has this issue to fix it change to the newest mainline kernel.

This is mainly a work machine so I don't plan on playing games much. However, I threw BF4 on it and it ran great with medium/high settings. Temps stayed around 80C

So far my biggest issue is with the trackpad. I really don't care for it. I find the texture too course so it can be difficult to slide my finger smoothly. Along with that there is a very noticeable dead spot when you first start to slide your finger. It's like when you first start to slide your finger it takes a half second for the cursor to respond. This is the same between Ubuntu and Windows so it seems hardware related. It drives me nuts when I'm trying to make fine movements. It becomes very noticeable when 2 finger scrolling on a web page. It is also not very sensitive to taps. In comparison my Dell XPS 16xx I'm coming from had a glass smooth trackpad that was very sensitive. It picked up the lightest brush of the fingers and felt very much akin to a modern smart phone screen. The V17's feels like an old resistive touchscreen.

Besides the trackpad issue I'm very happy with it. I'm coming from a Dell XPS 1645 with a first gen i7 and it's a night and day difference.

8. SCARed

SCARed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes, on all Nitros you have only access from the top of the NB. so you have to take off the keyboard. pretty weird decision Acer made there, but doable in my book.

9. bhai77

bhai77 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thats the flyer from acer singapore. The specs maybe a bit different from other countries but is the price expensive?

10. Altrove

Altrove Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys! I think I have read almost all the thread, but i'm still confuse...I'm an architecture student, so i will use a lot of autodesk and adobe programs (no gaming).
    Do you still recommend this notebook? I live in Italy and at the moment we can have V15 and V17 for 1000\1100 euros (16gb and no M.2 SSD). I was thinking to get the V15 but then i've read about better cooling on V17, since i will not use it for gaming, do you think cooling would be a relevant issue for my use?

thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.