New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PabloMoses

PabloMoses Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. SCARed

SCARed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. ShadowXOR

ShadowXOR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. swarm

swarm Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It depends... I like how silent the Nitro is. During the load it is hadly noticeable in an environment with other people. On the other side I had a GS60 and it was like a starting jet plane when I played games.

The CPU can go up to 97°C in relatively short time but outer surface is not hot. For gaming I've created a new power profile without TurboBoost (speed up to 2,5GHz) and then CPU doesn't go beyond 75°C event in games.

Btw in Cinebench R11.5. I have 7,03 pts (multi-threaded) with max performance and 5,6 pts without TurboBoost so It's still faster than dual-core processors.

I chose Nitro instead of GS60 because of far better touchpad (very fast and responsive), better keyboard layout (no Home/End only with Fn), better loudspeakers and silent fans (which are off during the office load). The only thing that is better on GS60 (for me) is the PLS Samsung display instead of IPS LG...

5. LockeDaBoss

LockeDaBoss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do u create such a profile? My CPU utilization is the most time <50%

6. KasperA

KasperA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    One method that should work is to go into Power Options, choose the plan you want to change, go to advanced power settings for the plan, find "processor power management" and set "maximum processor state" for "plugged in" to 99% instead of 100%.

7. swarm

swarm Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    cpu-settings.png

Now I'am on a corporate laptop, but here in advanced settings just decrease the maximum processor state to (for example) 95%. Anything else than 100% will disable TurboBoost.

8. LockeDaBoss

LockeDaBoss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks. Actually the temps dont bother me, but a cooler CPU dont hurt :)

Has someone REALLY bad wlan, too?

9. PabloMoses

PabloMoses Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Didn't you fix that?

Now you have had the pc for a while. Do you have any updates on fans, battery and build quality?

And if you could tell the worst and best things with it that we be much appreciated!

ShadowXOR likes this.
  10. KasperA

KasperA Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got my 15" yesterday, and first impressions are really good. It's a gorgeous machine; light, thin, and powerful. Temperatures seem a bit high under load - 90+ celcius in Watch_Dogs - but I experienced no throttling after playing for about an hour. The CPU seemed to stay at the turbo frequency.

First impression of the screen, though, is not very good. Like Locke mentioned earlier, it has some weird brightness fluctuations near the edges that change when you move your head or the screen. It's like a sort of constant vignette effect that moves when you move. The screen is also a bit matte and dull - like the brightness isn't turned fully up, even though it's at max. I don't know how much of this is down to screen quality, and how much it's just about me having to get used to a new kind of screen.

This could be a big deal breaker for some, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.