New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd say its about the evolution of CPUs and Laptop Designs.

laptops a few decades ago, as I understand it, had CPus that merely sipped power. Even desktop CPUs barely cracked 45W until the days of Core 2 and Pentium 4 under stock speeds. Nevertheless, their cooling solution was not very quiet. But the main thing was that CPUs had a constant clock speed, and here's merely an example

So you've got a 1 GHz CPU in a laptop in the 2000s That CPU will likely constantly run at 1GHz, and even if there was some energy saving procedure it would only go down to, say, 450 MHz. Now the idle power consumption is 10W on idle, and if you put it on load it might simply rise to 15W; therefore the cooling solution only has a narrow range of power/heat it has to dissipate.

Modern mobile CPUs, however, have an extremely wide thermal output range. Take the HQ 45W Intel Core CPus, for example. They idle at about 1-2W, but on full load they can reach 50W. Not only does that necessitate a more powerful cooling solution, but the laws of thermodynamics haven't suddenly changed. They've remained the same. Sure, there have been advances in cooling techniques, but it now means that CPUs run at both cooler and hotter temperatures

Now I have the i7-6500U in my laptop, which is a 15W chip. Simply tying this my CPU uses 2W of power. The ambient temperature in my room is 12C, and the CPU is at 25C. At idle, it should be noted that clock speeds are irrelevant; modern CPUs have a wide range of C States, and during a proper idle a large percentage of transisters or whatever in the CPU are turned off, receiving literally 0 volts. I've run the LinX CPU benchmark and my CPU reaches 21W of power. Not only this but the temperature almost instantly rises by 20C, quickly climbing to +30C, and in the end stabilizing at 90C with no throttling. If I ran it now, that is a 60C temperature difference!

I just wanted to ask you a question, Beem Boom

I wasn't aware that the risks of joint failure caused by temperature was so high. Thanks for worrying me about it now :)

I keep my laptop running almost 24/7, but I tend to take care of it. Here's what I normally do with my laptop:

7am: Ambient Temp: 10C. CPU Temp 20C
    I then run 2 VMs s in the background and sdo some other rather resource intensive task, and the CPU ruses and stabilizes to 60C after about 10-20 minutes. The CPU stays at a constant range of 50-65C through out the day, only dropping after 12-15 hours. After that, it drops to 40C quickly, then cools down to 25C after half an hour and I wake up the next day with the temperature at 20C or so

So essentially my laptop is going through one cycle of heating and then cooling, per day. Will this affect the lifespan of my laptop? I really hope it lasts 10 years for me

2. Beem Boom

Beem Boom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Che0063

I think you have nothing to worry about, thermal gradient 20~60°C are not so terrible. For comparison: my CPU's TDP is 47 W, the peak is 60 W, plus the video card adds 45 W, and the temperature in the games was 85-90°C before modding. That's why I'm worried. :)

I think, replacement of thermal paste would not hurt your laptop, but it is not necessary. This, most probably, will reduce the speed of temperature changes and reduce the peak temp on max load. But you should do it only if you are good at it. Otherwise, the temperature may even increase. An example of unsuccessful repasting was posted earlier in this topic:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/new-acer-aspire-v-nitro-series.759420/page-195#post-10164424

3. prykpryk

prykpryk Newbie

Reputations:
    I definitely recommend repasting CPU and GPU. Today I repasted my 2-year old Acer VN7-791 i7-4720HQ, 960M. I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I also drilled some additional holes to give the bigger fan more breathing room.

Results are astounding:
    • Turbo enabled CPU stress test from AIDA, fans forced at 100% using NFC - before average temp. 93*C, average CPU clock 3160 MHz, after average temp. 69*C clocks 3190 MHz - 24*C difference
    • Turbo + GPU stress test, fans 100% - before average CPU temp 95*C, GPU temp 82*C, CPU clock 2576 MHz (lots of throttling), after average CPU temp 85*C, GPU temp 71*C, CPU clock 3100 MHz - big improvement of CPU speed, while reducing temperatures

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  4. Venkata

Venkata Newbie

Reputations:
    I just re-pasted my VN7-592G last month with ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Compound Paste and the results have been good. but I want to control my fans. I've tried installing Notebook fan control but there is no profile VN7-592G only for 591G. I used the profile for 591G which didn't work correctly, so I turned off NFC. But my fan seem kind of screwed up, they are not keep the laptop cool as they used to.
    Can anyone help me with the NFC profile for my VN7-592G. Would I have to turn off coolboost or turn it on?
    Thanks.

5. prykpryk

prykpryk Newbie

Reputations:
    Did 591G profile work at all? Try to find tutorial on how to make your own profile. There should be 6 variables in Embedded Controller that correspond to fan current speeds, desired speed and override. I could send you my 791G profile, it might work.

Edit: Here is my profile https://goo.gl/27jwMW , put it in C:/Program Files/Notebook FanControl/Configs

6. Dantei

Dantei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys,

I'm considering on buying a new VN7 with 1060. I've heard there were some problems with overheating but only with the first parts. Is it true?