New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daft Paolo

Daft Paolo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok I'm in the club too!

I7-4720hq + 960m + 1TB

I will recive my new M.2 SSD next week.

It works just great, BF4 run pretty smooth, it's cool and silent, and no Wi-Fi problem whatsoever!

By now one of the best buy of my life

2. derekdauzat

derekdauzat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can anyone list a safe list of bloatware to remove, not sure whats useful and whats junk.

3. Daft Paolo

Daft Paolo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think i Removed everything except the Acer Launch Manager

4. snow_61

snow_61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I got the problem with the spacebar....
    So as it seemed that it was standars scissors switch, I carried out an investigation on my spacebar.

Here are two pics :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So there actually 3 contacts under the spacebar.but only one (the central one) is used.

What the hell is there two switches that are basically useless!!!

I checked on another laptop keyboard from a dell inspiron 9400, and there is actually one switch, one contact for the spacebar as well...but the key is working properly. I guess its because the spacebar key is a lot more stiff.

So what I tried is taking two rubber dome frome the dell keyboard (laptop is retired, and those key was not functionni ng...) adn placed them under the two switches from the V15 nitro.
    So now instead of one central contact , i have 3 contacts working to input a space. The spacebar is now working better (even if not perfect).
    But the rubber dome I took , are a bit taller than the one in the middle, so my spacebar sits a bit higher than the rest of the keyboard....
    Need to find a better fit...or a way to make the spacebar edges more stiff...
    Any ideas?

5. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    Hello guys, I am coming to the club as well with the new Core i5-5200U CPU and nvidia 950M GPU internal. Very good price for what it offers, like the idea of SSD+HDD option without remowing the ODD. Hope it will be quiet and cool running, but if it takes the full voltage 45W CPUs too, than a 15W definiately have to run cool.
    I am going to upgrade with samsung m2 SSD and with coolaboratory thermal paste, is anybody made tutorial how to take it aparts?

6. snow_61

snow_61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Atom Ant likes this.
  7. carlov15

carlov15 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, sorry form my english but I'm italian, so if I did mistakes, correct me.
    Last Thursday the courier handed me the new Acer v nitro 591g, but on Saturday I had a problem, in fact unfortunately I tried to power on my notebook but win 8.1 did not want to load itself so the only thing I could see was on the screen was black and the cursor of my mouse.
    So, after that I decided to enter in recovery mode ( I do not know the correct name in English ) and I made a factory reset.
    Now the problem seem to be fixed, but now and also before the factory reset, the program Acer recovery management does not work properly, indeed it only ask me to grant administration privileges but then the program does not open.
    which could be the problem?
    Thanks

8. Daft Paolo

Daft Paolo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Simple question:

Where the hell did you find the screw to fix the M.2 SSD????

Thank you so much in advance!!

9. asanic

asanic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, i'm planning on getting the new Nitro VN7-571G-70HF for $1300, does anyone have one? and if so how is it because theres no reviews for it yet

10. BowlofNoodles

BowlofNoodles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought the 4k Model VN7-591G-729 from newegg and had it for a little over a week.
    4k UHD display, 16gb Rams, 4gb 960m, 256gb m.2 SSD with 1TB HD
    Some specs if people are interested.

4K display - Sharp IGZO LQ156D1JW04
    M.2 SSD 256GB SSD - Toshiba THNSNJ256G8NU
    RAMs - 16GB Samsung 1600mhz DDR3
    WIFI - Qualcomm Atheros 61x4 AC WIFI Card

Overall the design of the laptop is pretty nice. 4k display is amazing. Played Dota 2 and Heroes of the Storm in 4k. Everything looked sharp and was able play on high and ultra settings. Color is pretty good, but I think it could be better when comparing it to my Samsung TV.
    Likes others had stated, don't really understand or like having all the USB on the right side.
    Having a mouse connected on the right side is a hassle, but can be easily fixed if you get a cooling pad.
    Bloatware was easily removed with a clean install.
    So far there hasn't been any wifi problems.
    Some people have stated that they have problems with their space bar key. There don't seem to be any problems with mine. I pressed it on the left side and right side and it registers.

Some things I don't like so far:
    The computer runs really hot, can feel it around the middle of the keyboard. The CPU idles around 48-53c even when no programs are running and going up to around 90-93c after 30mins to an hour of gaming. I plan to repaste with IC Diamond to see if that helps lower it.
    Also the SD card slot is really hard to remove without something thin to pull out the slot cover. After removing the slot cover the SD cards only go in half way, so it is half exposed. This probably isn't a big deal to many people, but for people who plan to transfer a lot of files from cameras this can be a problem.
    The rubbery parts are nice, but it attracts lots of fingerprints.
    Keyboard layout can be slightly better, especially the ALT key on left. It was pretty hard to press to ping the map in DOTA 2. Ended up pressing the space a lot.

Some considerations:
    There are no mini Display Port to output 4k at 60hz to people with 4k monitors, so you are stuck with 4k at 30hz with HDMI1.4.
    I've read the m.2 slot is only SATA III, so you can't upgrade it to a PCIe SSD.

If I keep the laptop, I'm also considering changing the 1TB HDD for a 256gb SSD (Probably Samsung 850 PRO) but don't really know if it really helps at all since it's going to be a storage drive.
    If not I might return to purchase either an Asus Zenbook Pro UX501 or a G501 which are significantly more expensive just for PCIe SSD, better thermals and better designs.

If you plan to buy it from Newegg and worry about return policy if you don't like it, I suggest paying $20 bucks for the premier for 3 months enough to cover the duration of the return period (30 days), since Newegg charges 15% restocking fee for returns.

Daft Paolo and asanic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.