New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derekdauzat

derekdauzat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have the v15 nitro with no ssd in the M.2 port..
    i only have a 1tb hdd..
    i want to replace it with a 120sdd
    …………..should i make recovery usb and use it to install the os on the ssd?? will i have problems being its smaller????
    or will the DVD recovery media do any differently??? or should i clone ??? will the hdd and ssd size difference be a problem?? i would just like to clone the hdd to the ssd if the size is not an issue but im afraid the recovery partitions will not work once on the ssd, whats the best process to swapswap.. im wanting to replace main 1tb hdd with 120gb sdd, whats the best way to retain usable recovery partition, or were the usb recovery media will work on the new ssd if its installed,?

2. Daft Paolo

Daft Paolo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Why not just buy a M2 ssd? And use the 1tb hdd for archive?

3. Farplaner

Farplaner Newbie

Reputations:
    The flickering went away when I uninstalled the Acer Power Management application. Love this laptop!

4. Farplaner

Farplaner Newbie

Reputations:
    This is the one I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314849

The problem occurs when the laptop auto-adjusts the brightness. It is quite annoying and the flickering almost makes the laptop seem like there's some sort of defect. When I uninstalled the Acer Power Management app, the problem went away.

5. hamster325

hamster325 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! It's my first post here, and I hope not last. ;) To the point:

I want to buy this Acer, exactly Black Edition with 15,6" and GPU 860M. I read couple of reviews on many sites with i5-4210H and i7-4710HQ. What I've read that model with Core i5 doesn't suffer for throttling CPU or GPU at all. Even keep stable Turbo at 3,5 GHz! This laptop will be used mostly in games so it's very importat to me that it will maintain stable and high frequency.
    What about Core i7 version? In this model I've heard mixed opinions - one say that in games i7 maintains about 2,5-3,0 GHz, but only in stressful benchmarks the frequency drops even to 800-1000 MHz. But elsewhere I'v heard that it's terrible and always throtte.

My question: Is it worth to take i7-version with more cores and cache memory, or take safer i5? Is i7 clearly more efficient than i5? I suppose in normal use with browser, music players etc. it will be no difference. Maybe pack/unpack in WinRAR will be even faster on i5 thanks to bigger frequency. But how it will be in games? This most demanding of course like Battlefield 3/4/Hardline, AC: Unity, GTA5 or comming The Witcher 3.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  6. Beem Boom

Beem Boom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @hamster325
    i7 is almost twice more efficient than i5. You will clearly see this when using heavy applications like image/video editors, IDEs, etc. You can easily find some comparison graphs in the web. But in games, I believe, i5 is quite sufficient. I have i7-4710HQ, and I don't know a game which loads i7 more than 50%.

7. hamster325

hamster325 Newbie

Reputations:
    You gave me the most important information - "I don't know a game which loads i7 more than 50%". This is enough for me. ;-) So if in full stress with Prime95+Furmark the i7 in this Acer keeps default frequency for some time, than it will maintain in games where it's not fully loaded. :) Thank You very much.

8. snow_61

snow_61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow.... Easy there.... Try BF4 multi-player and we'll see about that!

downloads and Daft Paolo like this.
  9. BowlofNoodles

BowlofNoodles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Saw the new model with 4k and 960m for $1399 with a $50 promotion making this only $1350. Seems like a pretty good deal and significantly cheaper than the Asus G501 which I'm considering.
    How is the cooling on this? I read reviews stating that this runs pretty hot. Will repasting the CPU and GPU help?

10. Zlatan blazin

Zlatan blazin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

That's the same model I'm getting and that's a sweet deal isn't it!!! Good to know that the flickering is more of a non-issue for you now. Seems you're quite happy with your buy, why wouldn't you be..;)
    Have you run any games on it ? Curious as to how GTA 5 would do in it , seeing as its all the rage right now..

PS: For all those looking to buy the acer aspire v nitro BE 15" , the link posted above is a sweet deal if there ever was one!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.