New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Newbie

Reputations:
    UPDATE on WiFi speed issue:

Reading through this thread... I suspected it might have been due to tinkering with power management settings. I restored Windows "Balanced" mode to default settings, and was still only getting 20MB/s transfers. I had avoided reloading ACER's power management utility, so I did that, and voila... back to 50MB/s speeds. I have yet to determine what the setting is, but ACER's power management scheme obviously offers something over stock. Just an FYI...

I just verified that the Killer N1525 driver suite works with this new "LITE-ON" Atheros NFA344 adapter in the Acer. The setup will not run, as it does not discover "Killer" hardware in the machine. However, it you manually point it at the k1525w81 driver folder (using Device Manager), it loads and runs just fine. The setup for the bluetooth portion runs and loads without issue after that.

*Note: After loading the new driver, my wireless AC connection dropped and became un-visible... as it defaulted to a lesser mode (01 - 11 b). I switched it to "12 - 11 a/b/g/n/ac" and everything immediately came back... without modifying the connection properties. Incidentally, the previous driver did not have a specific ac mode listed, only a/b/g/n... which is what caused my initial confusion as to whether this was an AC adapter or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  2. nons_

nons_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I installed an SSD and more RAM on my VN7-571G. Mainboard layout looked different from what I found online, but similar enough. M.2 slot is at the bottom, and nicely enough Acer put in a single 8GB module :)

I used Paragon to clone the HDD to the SSD, then deleted the HDD partitions, and it seems to work, rather straight forward. I ran CrystalMark on it, and the numbers look good to me (total SSD noob), only the '4K queue depth 1' is rather low. Anyone mind interpreting the attached screenshot, is there some issue with how I cloned or does it look fine? To be honest it feels a bit less snappy than my friends 840 EVO, but then again that one is powered by a desktop i7 quadcore, whereas I only run on dual core ULV. The SSD I bought is a 250 gig Crucial MX200

Attached Files:

3. enzio92

enzio92 Newbie

Reputations:
    acer just release patch to improve wireless performance but i can not run it.anyone know how to run it?

4. estiar

estiar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have SwissGear Travel Gear ScanSmart 1900 and it fits but the zipper is a little taut in one corner. I wear it everyday, 2 months by now without a problem. It will lose a bit by the time or it will crack :). Anyway a half of an inch is missing to be perfect.

5. ghs14

ghs14 Newbie

Reputations:
    Me too It's doesn't run.
    I afraid it is a Superfish like in lenovo :D!

6. ghs14

ghs14 Newbie

Reputations:
  7. siluetaz

siluetaz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Guys, are you serious? It works, it just opens and closes pretty quickly automatically, but it does what it suppose to (changes your power settings). Actually i think just disable power saving on wireless adapter, one simple step you can do by yourself, i was mad because it made my power config default, which i was already tweaked to my taste. Nevermind, did that again. But honestly i don't think that's gonna really improve anything, i think most users here have already done that.

8. MDV17

MDV17 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I’m from Melbourne and just bought a V17 nitro that’s causing me some grief. It’s actually my second unit as the first was exchanged due to the same problem in addition to other issues. Basically the problem is that I can’t open Acer Recovery Management to create a recovery backup as per the user manual (nothing happens once I allow the program to access the computer). So I called Acer Tech Support to report the issue as I really don’t want to have to return it for a refund (as I wouldn’t be able to get anywhere near the same specs for the price I paid in another lappy).

I was told to do a reset and advised it would take 1-2 hours. After 2 hours plus however it had only completed 13% of the reset so I called Acer again. This time I was told that it could actually take up to 7 hours (however at the rate mine is going at it will be something like 20 hours)!! So now I am waiting for the reset to complete to see if that fixes my problem. The rep was quite apologetic and upfront- he told me that it’s something he’s come across before and that a reset fixes it in about 50% of cases, otherwise Acer have to reinstall the OS or fix the partitions, or some other mumbo jumbo I didn’t understand.

My question is (seeing as I am not keen on getting a refund or having to repair a brand new notebook), is this a problem any of you guys have come across or do you know how I can fix it myself?? Now keep in mind my tech abilities are limited but I can follow instructions if there is a guide somewhere on resolving this. I’m fairly certain a reset won’t fix it given it’s the second time I’ve had this problem on the same model notebook. And I can’t get another exchange as there is no more stock.

The model I have is the VN7-791G-70ST. I paid $1,600 AUD, which works out roughly to be $1,240 USD or €1,100. The specs are i7-4710HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 850M GPU, 256GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Full HD 17.3” screen, Blu-ray writer etc..

Thanks in advance.

9. MDV17

MDV17 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh and another thing, how are the pixels on your screens? My first v17 had 1 blown pixel in the middle of the screen and this one has 1 stuck pixel at the bottom which isn’t so obvious and which I think I can live with..

10. MDV17

MDV17 Newbie

Reputations:
    UPDATE:

Well the reset has completed now (about 6-7 hours like Acer said), but unfortunately it has not fixed my problem accessing the Acer Recovery Management program. It does appear to have fixed my stuck pixel however so at least I am pleased about that! At this stage I am thinking that I will just call Acer tomorrow and demand that they send me recovery media for the notebook. That is, unless any of you guys think that my problem may not just be restricted to this particular program and could be indicative of wider problems?? Are there any sort of diagnostics I can run to check?? I will post back tomorrow with what the Acer tech has to say. They have already offered to extend my warranty by 3 months for the trouble but I am probably going to buy extended warranty anyway so I’m not sure how that will work. Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.