New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. islamtahoun

islamtahoun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. 0meg4

0meg4 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, i have one of those. But i need a backpack.

3. siluetaz

siluetaz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What you suggest to clean this laptop with? Matte finish looks really nice but it's kinda fingerprints magnet.

4. 0meg4

0meg4 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I use a glass cleaner kit, applying the liquid to the little fabric.

5. siluetaz

siluetaz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Btw, was wrong with acer keyboards ? My old acer had funny "3" button , now this one has "z" which makes kind of clicky cracking sound and doesn't feel too stable. It seems like every acer laptop should have one strange button. :D

6. mattp_160

mattp_160 Newbie

Reputations:
    What are you guys using to monitor temps on your laptops?

7. 0meg4

0meg4 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I use HW monitor.

8. Dinkleburg

Dinkleburg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @0meg4
    I bought this & this. Can't go wrong with both of these for the price. Wish I had bought them earlier since I was carrying my huge V17 haphazardly around campus for a month. The bezel on the V17 nitro is a clear engineering fail especially the bottom part. They could should correct this to make the laptop more functionally carryable.

I carry the smaller bag inside the bigger bag. The swissgear products are crap

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LU7B8X0/ref=twister_B00FB50SBU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B004VRKWR4/ref=twister_dp_update?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Condor 3 day backpack has a lot of functionality built in. You can remove the hip strap (its velcro) +1
    If you're wondering about the color of the backpack, its black not grey

Another one of friends has the Condor backpack which he uses to carry his 17" Macbook pro

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  9. kalle101

kalle101 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @degoydegoy
    Can you please describe your scripts again? I have rw installed and created these two .rw files.
    But when I run the batch files, cmd goes up and nothing happened.
    Did I miss something?

thank

10. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings all…

I see that no one has checked in yet with new model VN7-791G-730V, I guess I will be the first.

I had been in the market to replace my aging HP dv6000 for a while now, and the initial versions of the v17 Nitro ticked all the boxes except for its inferior WiFi card, so I didn’t bite. When I saw that updated models were available on Newegg with wireless AC, that was enough for me… so I ordered one up! The unit arrived on Thursday at my work, and I immediately unpacked it and went to device manager to verify what the card was. Well I nearly flipped my lid, as it listed “Qualcomm Atheros” and I only saw wireless a/b/g/n modes in the device properties. I could find little information about the Atheros QCA61x4, except that it *might* be the same chip as used on the “Killer” 1525… so I calmed down a bit and waited to get home to verify (we only have wireless N at work).

Sure enough, I connected to my Linksys AC1200+ (6350) @ 866Mbps, and observed 50+MB/s file transfer speeds to my corporate home network in preparation for a reformat and clean install of Win 8.1 Pro. Afterwards, loading the acer drivers revealed “LITE-ON Wireless LAN_M 3rd WiFi 2x2 AC+ BT M.2 QCA NFA344_11.0.0.373_W81x64” though it is listed in Device Manager as “Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Wireless Network Adapter”. However… since the reinstall, it is still connecting @ 866Mbps but I’ve only been able to manage 20+MB/s transfer speeds. So I need to see what’s up with that.

The other niggler prior to ordering was trying to determine whether this model had a backlit keyboard or not. I was dismayed to find the specs on Newegg had the keyboard as “Non-Backlit”. Going to ACER’s own website to verify only led to more frustration… as NONE of the 17 inch models had “Backlit Keyboard” listed in the specs, while all of the 15 inch models specifically DID. Indeed… if you apply “Backit Keyboard” to the filter when selecting available models, only 15 inchers show up. I took a chance and ordered anyway due to actual user feedback… and why would they introduce a new model *without* the backlit keyboard?? Sure enough… nothing has changed in that regard, and happy the keyboard *does* have a backlight. That ACER itself adds to the confusion is inexplicable.

On another note… I don’t know why anyone would be unhappy with the brightness of this screen. I have it throttled back to half… lest I suffer retina burn! Certainly worlds better than my old HP….

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.