New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hendrik87

hendrik87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So finally my vn7 with 5200u and 850m arrrived, what can I say:

Coming from an old dell inspiron 6400 the leap is huge!
    Brightness seems not dim at all, I will try tomorrow in the open light anyway i have to say that the screen is impressive and viewing angles are really good.
    With regards to the wifi issues I have the atheros module, howeveer wifi signal seems stable and almost two times faster than my previous laptop.
    Gaming:
    So far I have tried Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite; both played at 1920x1080 with ultra settings without any problem :D

I wasn't able to update the ndvidia drivers, is there a way to do that?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. Tsuna1995

Tsuna1995 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you provide the hardware id of the nvidia graphics card? Just to make sure if it doesnt need to add the hardware id to the new driver

3. hendrik87

Reputations:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1391&SUBSYS_09631025

Thanks!

4. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ayone having issues with Launch Manager/Quick Acess? I'm running Win 8.1 and find that all the FN + key-combos quit working after 1-3 days of running. Reboot restores function. Stopping/killing/restarting the services do not restore functionality.

Mac

ghs14 likes this.
  5. GalaxySII

GalaxySII Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Man Jesus christ what u expect nowadays
    Every HW gonna be soldered onto MB soon...

Sent from my iPhone 5 White-Purple

Shame that acer don't know what RAID 0 is..
    Like msi laptops has 4x ssds possible quad raid 0

Sent from my iPhone 5 White-Purple

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
  6. paulito

paulito Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the Transcend MTS800 SSD and I had exactly the same problem. No spare screw inside the laptop and the SSD did not come with one either. After 2 hours of taking apart different devices, I found a screw/bolt from a generic calculator which finally fit. Good luck!

7. paulito

paulito Newbie

Reputations:
    I ended up buying the Acer V15 Nitro, VN7-591G-787J which is the model available here in Canada. It came with 1TB SSHD, no SSD, 16G RAM, i7-4710HQ and 2GB GTX-860M. Main reason I went with this unit was because of its capability to have both SSD (thru M.2) and HDD. I needed SSD for the OS and a large HDD for all my data files.

I ordered the Transcend M.2 SATA3 22x80 128GB SSD (Model MTS800) to go with it. It fitted fine but the SSD did not come with a screw and the Acer did not have a spare screw inside. After a couple of hours prying stuff open, looking for tiny screws that would fit, I finally found one in a generic calculator lol.

Basically my steps were:
    1. Remove 12 screws from bottom of laptop.
    2. Pry open the keyboard / palm rest. Be careful as there are 3 cables that are connected underneath.
    3. I did not disconnect the 3 cables anymore since I can access the M.2 slot just by slightly moving the keyboard/palm rest. (This is where I had the problem with finding a screw/bolt to fix the SSD to the mobo).
    4. Put everything back.
    5. Hard disk copy the SSHD to the new SSD using Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15. This would preserve the recovery partitions which I wanted to keep. It resized the partitions proportionally as well to fit the 128GB SSD.
    6. Changed boot order in BIOS to boot from SSD.
    7. Wiped the 1TB SSHD to use as data drive.
    • Do not wipe the 1TB SSD until you're absolutely sure it works fine booting from the new SSD.
    • I checked the alignment of the SSD and if TRIM was enabled and all was well!

Overall, I'm pretty much satisfied with the purchase.

Pros:
    1. Very Nice / Loud Speakers coming from an Acer Timeline-X 5820TG which had terrible speakers.
    2. Screen is great (coming from a non-hd laptop). Not sure how this compares with other laptops with full hd screen though.
    3. Overall build quality is ok.
    4. Looks elegant. Specially the front cover.
    5. Speed and Performance is great so far.
    Cons:
    1. Keyboard is average. Its actually not bad except for the ENTER button. You have to hit it at a certain position.
    2. Trackpad is below average. It sometimes skips during usage.
    3. Fingerprint magnet!!
    4. Battery is below average for me. Around 2 hours - backing up and copying stuff from my old laptop.

Let me know if you guys have any questions I can help with.

8. Tsuna1995

Tsuna1995 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/uzehjfwcba/nvaci.html
    You need a modded inf to install the new driver copy this file to the driver folder. make sure the driver version is 347.25 and before installing the driver turn off driver signature enforcement.

hendrik87 and downloads like this.
  9. hendrik87

Reputations:
    It worked, thank you very much!

10. siluetaz

siluetaz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think that's possible, maybe we have someone here who has knowledge how to do it? Afaik, to back to auto mode, you only need to reboot pc, but then it will be very nice to have some quick way to set manual values each time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.