New Acer Aspire V Nitro series

Discussion in 'Acer' started by G-Force, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hendrik87

hendrik87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [DRIVERS for win8.1]
    Good day everyone, my laptop will arrive in a couple of hours, can't wait to have my hands on it!
    Do you recommend to install the drivers provided by acer here http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers or should I let windows do everything with windows update?
    As for the nvidia drivers, is it possible to install the newest or do I have to install acer's ones?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. Tsuna1995

Tsuna1995 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can use the nvidia driver provided on nvidia website. As for other drivers you can update all the other drivers and application by using acer care center application.

hendrik87 likes this.
  3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Dinkleburg @0meg4

This has to be a browser issue. I just tested 4K YouTube video (@60fps) on a Windows 8.1 quad-core Atom device with FHD screen and not only was it perfectly smooth but it also never exceeded 35% CPU usage. That was in IE 11.

Just for comparison Intel HD4600 core that you have scores 1100-1200 in 3DMark 11 720p GPU Performance test. Intel HD graphics in mine scores...178 points :D

So it has to be a browser issue.

4. Simiae

Simiae Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I am a new "proud" owner of v15, i5/860m...and of course the atheros adapter. The ntb came two days ago and since than, its just a battle with the wifi. Its the same problem like many of you have, where the old acer 5920G has "full" signal, this one has two very unstable bars, and in the moment i start prime95 it goes off. I tried everything i have found, i even opened the case and put homemade "aluminium shield" around the adapter, well, nothing has worked so far.
    I think that i have read whole story at this thread, and some others too, maybe i have missed something. So just to sum it up:
    1. (some) notebooks with V15 V17 with atheros ar5bwb222 do have problems with some kind of cpu interference, causing low and unstable signal, but there are posts, that its problem of antennas?
    2. some people were able to help themselves with replacing the adapter, mostly with intel 7260NGW or Killer N1525, but!!! there are also people with no improvement after that?
    3. acer is willing to replace the adapter in warranty, but only atheros to atheros. But!!! a have also read that there are people satisfied with that repair (maybe other firmware on the adapter?).

My problem is easy, old notebook is dead, I need this one at work. I have no problem with signal, using my external usb adapter awus alfa. So after doing all the crap with drivers, router settings etc. I have two choices, send the notebook for up to one month to acer, or buy a new adapter. Is there anyone with with a positive/negative experience with new adapter/acer service? And if so, do you have v15 or v17? It seems to me, that its not the same.
    Thank you,
    frustrated one :(

Edit: one more thing, maybe there could be a single thread only about the wifi?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  5. Dinkleburg

Dinkleburg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes you are right, the browser is to blame. But forcing the browser to use the 860m has no effect, 4k videos still stutter.
    Like you said, the HD4600 should be more than capable of handling 4k video.

6. 0meg4

0meg4 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  7. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Simiae
    There's nothing wrong with starting a separate thread on Wi-Fi if you want.

As for your other questions - there are no definitive answers. First of all we know that Atheros card is low-end. Users who upgraded to Intel 7260 like @0meg4 have experienced improved reception and as a result throughput.
    That is not the and of the problem though as both 15" and 17" Nitro device have their antennas placed in a way that can only be called moronic. These notebooks will never have the sort of reception that other notebooks with antennas on top of the scree have.
    Therefore is is entirely possible that the Atheros would work OK if antennas were located elsewhere (poor card but good antenna reception) and that with antennas placed where they are a good card would fare better (good card + poor antenna reception). If you combine both though - poor card and suboptimal antenna placement, you end up with no reception or poor reception.

As for your prime95 experience - earlier in the thread I presented a theory on why such a thing could possibly happen. That could be interference but as I mentioned this does not really affect the card as much as it does antennas meaning if antennas were routed differently that might have not been an issue in the first place.

As you see this post contains quite a bit of "might", "could have" and so on - unfortunately these things are not mutually exclusive - it may be one or some or all of them or just a combination. That can only be tested if you had several cards, antenna cables, a dismantled notebook etc.

What I'd do of I were you is I'd buy an Intel 7260 myself and replace the Atheros. That is a good idea either way (although a fair warning - Intel 7260 is not exactly the best card in the world @2.4GHz band - see networking forum for details)

8. nrguser

nrguser Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got mine from the newegg ebay deal yesterday and got a m.2 SSD, but where can I get a screw to secure it down? I went through my mass pile of screws I've collected over the years and all were too big. The SSD didn't come with a screw and after reading through this thread yesterday I couldn't find anyone with the same question. Any ideas?

9. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    "Loan" one of those securing the mobo. I think they might be the correct kind.

Mac

10. 0meg4

0meg4 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys, what do you use or recommend for cleaning the case? It's not that fingerprint magnet, but it does get dirty sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.