New 2020 LG Gram 17

Discussion in 'LG' started by hfm, Dec 8, 2019.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks @skaertus for finding the 14 in another thread that led me to see this.

Looks like LG has the new 2020 model Gram 17 on their Korean site (let it load fully and auto-translate): https://www.lge.co.kr/lgekor/product/pc/notebook/productDetail.do?cateId=2170&prdId=EPRD.346399

[​IMG]

Just a few highlights for the updated model:
    • 10th Gen Ice Lake with Iris Plus Graphics
    • Slightly larger 80Wh battery
    • DDR4 3200 memory
    • NVMe drives standard (finally..)
    • Redesigned the layout of the numpad
    • Redesigned the hinge
    • Looks like we can swap out ALL the RAM now (dual slot) instead of 8GB onboard.. EDIT: nope, according to a teardown it's still 8GB onboard. :sadface:
    • Still 2 x m.2 NVMe slots, maybe they are both 4x this time.
    • Same 16:10 1600p display (YAY!)
    • Same MIL spec rating
    • Same 2.97lb (maybe a bad thing)
    Hopefully they upgraded the heat management to still be quiet, but larger, but I'm not holding my breath until I see a teardown. The fact that the weight is identical doesn't give me much confidence that it was changed at all, but I'll wait until we get definitive proof. Even so, looks like a really good iterative improvement!

This looks like a pretty exciting update for the Gram 17, seems like they paid attention to community feedback and fixed a few of the things people were hoping would be improved (Use Iris Plus iGPU, change layout of the numpad, let us upgrade all the RAM)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes quite exciting! It'll be hard for me not to purchase the new one.. To bad they stick to the old-fashionned barrel charger plug. Having two usb-c with charging option would be so much better!

The link goes to the i5 model 17Z90N-VA50K with the i5-1035G7 CPU, but there is also an i7 model 17Z90N-VA70K using the i7-1065G7 CPU.

Did you find any information about a release date?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    hfm likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, but I assume that maybe it's already out in Korea? I'd definitely get the i7 version. IMO it's not quite enough of an upgrade for me to go for it, mainly because it's still 4 core / 8 thread. I don't think I'd really see a benefit. If they managed to put better cooling in there and use 25W config, I'd have a hard time with that. I am not holding out hope though.

4. Pflugshaupt

Pflugshaupt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Engadget has news about the 2020 Grams. They will be shown at CES which most likely means there will be North American models.

I like what they changed on the keyboard a lot. And 10th gen intel is quite nice. However I wouldn't want to go through all my modding again.

5. Ball

Ball Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK, so what's the REAL reason behind the hinge change? 3mm clearly isn't it.

Main advantage of the new CPU appears to be the graphics.

Edit: Good summary of performance differences:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  6. Ball

Ball Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. Yes

Yes Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, just posted in previous model topic.

Cooling is almost same, at least size. This cpu + more powerful gpu will cause same or even more heating and thermal throttling.
    Disabling TurboBoost won't help because base clocks now are 1.1 - 1.3GHz :(.

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's too bad about the cooling, I guess this little blurb by Anandtech isn't true

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It IS different.

There's a better mounting arm config of 4 corners instead of three arm mounting bracket, and as well the heatsink fins are now angled instead of straight. Definitely looks like a little more surface area than before, though it still looks a little meager. It definitely could stand to be bigger, but it's better than last year.

It's not good enough to make me want to sell my current one and get this one though.

Here's the new 2020 heatpipe and heatsink:
    [​IMG]

Here's the old one:
    [​IMG]

10. Ball

Ball Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is that a screen shot from a teardown video? Link?